Your Definitive Guide to EGO’s 21” Dual Port Self-Propelled Mower

• Announcement
  • Updated 4 months ago
Hello EGO Community! We’d like to take this opportunity to clear the air regarding our new Dual Battery Mower. Since there has been a great deal of interest and a bit of confusion surrounding this mower, let’s jump into the facts straightaway.

-This mower’s motor is brushless.
-This mower is rated at 1200W.
-This mower’s PeakPowerTM technology delivers more torque, longer run times, and a more efficient power draw.
-This is the most powerful brushless motor in the entire EGO Power+ mower lineup.

You’ll want to note that all of these statements have been confirmed by our engineering team. Also, the Steel Deck Self-Propelled Mower is rated at 1000W. Our apologies for any misunderstanding. 

Thank you for your involvement in the EGO community and please, keep up the great conversation!
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,090 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,542 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

I hope Ken read your post.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,288 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the follow-up of details. Good info to know and a good post to point people to!
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 964 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thank you!
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 964 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I plan on switching over to the mower and will post some information in a few weeks.  
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,532 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You won't be sorry.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,184 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the clarification. I have one on order and look forward to putting it to good use. Hopefully, it's the best performing Ego mower yet. I'll let you know how it does soon.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,082 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Looking forward to your review Steve.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,082 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Steve - how is it working for you ?
Photo of Matt R

Matt R

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I saw a review that suggested the self propelled systems was somehow upgraded is there any truth to that? I have seen common complaints about previous modes being too slow or fast with a lack of adjustability in between.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 86,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/is-the-brushless-self-propelled-system-smoother-than-t...

The SP system works fine.  Those that had a problem with it not functioning properly were in need of a repair.  This site reflects a higher proportion of problems due to the fact that many people come here looking for a solution to a problem.  Overall Ego mowers are highly rated for performance and reliability.

Photo of Eric

Eric

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Would you guys come out with a dual ports with steel deck any time soon ?? I am just in a market for a new mower and I really want those 2 with 2 7.5 amp batteries 
Photo of jaydickens

jaydickens

• 60 Points
This would be an excellent offering the steel deck with dual batteries. Seems like a logical progression of offering since other competitors such as greeworks offers an 82 V dual battery mower with steel deck and 1800 watts of power model: GMS210
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 1,642 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Also, make it a 22" :)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,730 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Came across this quick little review of the LM2142SP dual battery mower

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bln7r1cFzGs/?hl=en&taken-by=toolsbydesign

toolsbydesign Soaking wet grass/weeds, ~75% discharged batteries, deck height all the way down at 2" cut height, and full speed self propelled - the new 56v dual battery brushless mower barely flexes.

Power beyond belief is the EGO Power+ slogan and it sure is holding true with their latest brushless self propelled mower.

This might just be the most powerful cordless mower currently available.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow!  What a powerhouse!
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 6,044 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Green works Commercial gms 250. 25" dual blade .....bet it's a deck clogger when wet but maybe a savage when dry.
Photo of Dave Sullivan

Dave Sullivan

• 60 Points
Amber, Can you list all the model numbers that have brushless motors now? 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 88,852 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Amber does not play in this neighborhood anymore.

LM2142
LM2020
LM2021 (discontinued)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,032 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This model is absolutely torturing me. I love my 2102SP but it has been dying a slow death that I now realize is due to the plastic deck flexing on the hilly yard of our new house. (Symptoms are uneven cutting between passes when cutting up/down or back/forth across hill and overload shutoff when using the high lift blade.)

I had decided I was willing to give up an inch of cutting width for a stronger deck that wouldn’t flex and cause the same problems cutting on hills when the deck starts bending after a few years. But reading more about this mower is making me less sure than ever about that decision. I have two 7.5Ah batteries, and don’t have a single 5.0Ah battery. I would love to have those for use with the power head and blower, and use the big boys for the mower.

This would absolutely be a no-brainer. Except I now have no confidence in the longevity of the plastic deck. Why is there a steel deck, but only one smaller width model with such diminished specs? I am stuck in a limbo of not wanting to buy another plastic deck, but not wanting to buy the one steel deck model when it is so lousy compared to the 21” dual battery plastic model.

How long until a better steel deck mower comes out???
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,308 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It  is truly a shame that EGO doesn't use the same material (called "Xenoy") that Honda used--I had a Harmony w/ a plastic deck that was far more rigid.  It lasted for over a decade w/ cracking or chipping.  It was so nice when I wanted to replace it with an electric mower (the EGO) that I got $200 for it--sold to the first person to see it.  I don't know anything about the newer Hondas using Nexite, but I have nothing but good to say about the Xenoy deck.  I'm unimpressed with the EGO plastic deck--it flexes too much and grass sticks to it so I'm constantly applying auto wax to it.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,220 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Honda stopped using Xenoy because of cracking problems near the motor.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,522 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Happens every time deck material is discussed.
Someone professes the singular superiority of Honda/Xenoy
Someone else points out it is no longer used due to problems.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,032 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Well I am not expecting Ego to change the plastic composition, and I am fully invested in Ego for all of my power tools. Just need to replace a mower and trying to figure out why there are so many trade-offs rather than a clear “best” steel deck mower with 21” deck and 1200 watt dual battery motor.

I have to think that is coming eventually. Why do one steel deck as a premium option and then eclipse the features and never offer an updated premium version of the current flagship plastic model?
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,246 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Dave Cline, I think something is coming, unfortunately probably not until next spring.....
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 1,858 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
David,

Is yours still under the 5yr warranty? If so, can you work something out with them?

If it's not, and the 2102 doesn't cut it for power, the 2142 definitely has more cutting power than the 2102 and somehow lasts forever with 2 7.5's...
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 5,952 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Don't know about the older Hondas but the newer hrx is pretty tough. Between the two that I have I must h ave well over a thousand hours. Most everything else is wearing out but the deck s are fine.
Photo of Vish

Vish

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Does this mower put out more power than the 21" self propelled? My 21" self propelled is currently getting repaired at home depot...4 weeks now :/
I'm considering upgrade and to have a backup mower for times like these.
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 1,736 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Absolutely it does.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,666 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes it does
LM2142 = 1200W brushless motor + peak power tech
LM2102 = 1000W brushed motor

2142 is Egos most powerful mower
Photo of Vish

Vish

Does having the 7.5 AH battery make any difference for the power output? Any upcoming sale for these?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 54,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No power difference, just run time. EGO doesn't announce any upcoming sales so you just have to keep an eye on HD, Ace, those kinds of places ads. Father's day is coming up and Labor day isn't too far off so those are both prime sale weekends.
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

I watched it forever, hoping for a sale and nothing. Picked it up a few weeks ago @ HD.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,666 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
open an HD credit card and get $50 off or something like that.

Wait for Menards to have their 11% rebate sale and HD matches.
https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/#/home

Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

"Wait for Menards to have their 11% rebate sale and HD matches."------- This only applies to purchases of in store, in stock items. The 2142 is only available online, pretty sure.
Photo of Vish

Vish

No bare tool option on this. What a sticker shock.
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

Oh man... Greenworks Commercial 82V Dual Port 25" Self-Propelled Steel Deck $699

https://landscape-business.com/greenworks-commercial-25-inch-gms-250-battery-powered-mower/

https://youtu.be/SovHRb0Pgac
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

So around $1200 or so with two batteries and charger?
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

Yes. Big $$$
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

Better be really right for the money outlay. Really with support batteries for a commercial guy you could easily push $2500 plus to run one.
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 6,044 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
With or without batteries?
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

No batteries, no charger.