You guys should make a riding lawn mowerthat takes 4 10 ah batteries

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: EGO Electric Riding Zero-Turn Mower

Photo of Lee Mohney

Lee Mohney

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Only if it can do dishes and I can cuddle to it at night. And actually appear to enjoy it. Lol. That's a lot of power.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Krehbiel

Tim Krehbiel

• 992 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I would love a rider as well.  The problem would be run time.  

At one point I seriously looked into converting my old John Deere into an electric mower.  There are a couple of videos on Youtube of guys who have done it, and Amp draws seem to run somewhere around 120 to 150 amps.  That's for cutting (lets assume a 42" deck) and propelling about 500 lbs of man and machine.  

If you do the math, that comes out to around 15 to 20 minutes of run time for a 40ah battery pack.  Not really enough :(

In order to get an hour run time, which I would consider a bare minimum for a riding mower, you're looking at 12  batteries not 4 (maybe even more than that).  That gets expensive quickly, and isn't really practical.  

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ego was already working on it though. I think there are lots of well-off people who would spend a bunch of money for an electric mower that doesn't make so much darn noise, and requires no maintenance.  
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It is not current draw alone that you need to look at, it is power, the current multiplied by the voltage, the watts.  I do not know the battery voltage used by the people who you are aware of having done it, but if a riding mower with a 42 inch deck requires about 17,000 watts (note that it does not necessarily, it depends on the rotational velocity of the blades (the revolutions per minute) and the speed that the mower will move at, then from a 50.4 volt battery (nominal voltage of EGO battery pack), it would draw about 340 amps. Note that that would be at full power, and I draw that based on what the Husqvarna Z242F does, and I do not know how many inefficiencies can be removed from that, I do not know how much torque spins those blades, there are a lot of variables to account for with such a device. A 340Ah pack would be needed to run it at full power for an hour given no difference in efficiency between our hypothetical electric zero-turn mower and the Husqvarna Z242F.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
A 50+" deck using three Ego mowers stacked together would take about 3000W based on the 1000W rating of the 21" SP mower.
Photo of Tim Krehbiel

Tim Krehbiel

You're correct, wattage is more important.  I believe the video I saw (which I can't seem to find now) was a 48v setup...close enough to the 56V ego packs I just neglected the difference.  

Regardless of how many batteries you'd actually need, I think it's safe to say it's alot.  Of all the electric vehicle conversions I've seen done, the batteries are always the #1 expense.  
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Aye, but I'd like to go faster than 3.6mph. I want to go at least 10mph, and the power needed to carriage me at that speed I am not sure of, it depends on the friction and the slope of the terrain. It needs to cut grass that quickly as well, and that will require more power per unit deck width.  Also, the Greenworks 80V 21 inch mower is rated 1200W if it is the same as its Victa counterpart in Australia and New Zealand, and I think it mulches better than the EGO. With that said, the power needed also depends on the type of blades used.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Just a guess, but based on my experience with power wheels, user weight is going to be the biggest factor affecting either speed or power draw. My 260 lbs would take a lot more power to move around than someone half my size.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That presents a specification problem... in this day and age of sensitive people you can't even begin to comment on someone's weight. :-)

Lol... "YOUR mileage may vary." :-D
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for the suggestion Lee. We're considering a riding mower for the future but we don't have any plans for it in the immediate future.
Photo of Tim Krehbiel

Tim Krehbiel

That makes me sad :(

No market for it?  Maybe I underestimated the cost.  If a rider is $10,000, there may not be many takers.  I would expect a $3000 mower would sell though.  But I'm not in marketing.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hey Tim. If our great leader said they are considering it, then it's probably something we will see in the future. Cost of the batteries are the biggest obstacle from what I see. A riding mower is a lot of weight to move around. Like a small car.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Let's see what Greenworks  does. I know that they have been designing a 32 inch zero-turn mower for their 82V Commercial lineup.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

32" is awfully small for a riding mower...
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

it's a start. Even then, to me, it depends on how fast it can go... Small fast ones are a lot of fun.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I like small and fast
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Given the current Honda/Ego partnership, I do believe we already have a suitable platform... as long as you need REALLY fast:

"109 hp, zero to 60 in under 4 seconds, and it cuts the grass."

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.roadand...
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

The mean mower... yep. that's a winner... There was a guy that modified a Viking T6 lawn mower and made it able to reach speeds over 133mph. "The team said the rebuilt mower features 408 horsepower with a V8 engine and has the wheels of a Formula 3 car. "

(Edited)
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

• 4,108 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Just spend the 4k and get a cub cadet zero turn zero electric mower. Then you can quietly creep on the neighbors while pretending to mow the lawn. Problem Solved. 
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

My style is more like taking one of the above two mowers and mowing their lawns and be done and gone before they have the chance to get mad at the noise. I'd just use a slow motion camera on the mower if I wanted to creep on them.
Photo of Dalmightyone

Dalmightyone

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Have you reconsidered this. Your competition just stepped up the game and is Home Depot exclusive. https://www.ryobitools.com/electric-r...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

48V, 75Ah... 3.6 kWh and the word "lithium" is nowhere to be found. Based on the picture that shows four large batteries, methinks this is a good old lead acid battery X 4.

"Convenient overnight charging" also lends itself to lead acid.

Ego, do this, but with the world's largest Arc Lithium battery pack! :-)
Photo of Dalmightyone

Dalmightyone

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Agree.   But hurry up.   I want one....EGO style.  This should be the new push for EGO.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am sure Elon Musk has some "left over" li-ion batteries he can spare to EGO, for a new 42" riding lawn mower - in a fashionable EGO green !!!!!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

You guys are killing me.  I don't feel like spending my home equity on a riding mower.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That won't stop you from doing it though. :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Photo of Dave

Dave

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am considering the new Ryobi Electric Riding mower but would prefer to purcahse a cordless ridding mower from Ego since I have your mower, blower, trimmer, hedge trimmer and snow blower.  I know you said you considering it but not in immediate future.  If I hold off an wait until next year would I be likely to see the riding mower then?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
With that garage full of Ego equipment, you should have a hot line to corporate HQ.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If it is as good of quality ryobi is normally, that thing will will last about a year. Sorry but I seriously dislike ryobi. Junk.

They are lead acid batteries.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Go big or go home...Mean Green Mowers has what you are looking for right now.
CXRSAMrtsidejpg

http://www.meangreenproducts.com/nxr4852

Looks like fun in the sun. Starting at only $8999 for you Americans ;-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I want that.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

That is cheap, SCDC can buy us all one for demo purposes ...
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

If you only knew how broke I am.  rofl.  
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I am right there with you Brother ... lol!!!!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.