Wrap my head around the pricing

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

So I am in the process of moving towards a more ecological footprint from 2 stage gas.  I got my first EGO tool in the form of a chainsaw and found that yes you can have impressive power from a battery.

My next purchase was going to be a blower and a grass trimmer.  I went over to home depot online to make the purchase and that is where I got confused.

I don't really need a backpack leaf blower.  Yes the 5.0ah battery is a better choice but I don't need the bulk.  Sadly the 530cfm blower only (without the battery) is listed as not in stock so I can't buy that.  The model with the battery and charger is about $120 more.

Then I take a look at the 15" trimmer.  The kit with the battery / charger is $250, yet to buy just the trimmer is $217.  that makes the battery and charger worth about $33.

They also sell a 12" trimmer.  The kit with the battery / charger is $229 where the 12" trimmer alone is $117.  That price spread is more in line with the price spread like the 530cfm blower.  

So, this brings to question..  Is the 15" trimmer really worth $100 more than the 12" trimmer  & you get a super good deal if you buy the 15" trimmer kit?

-or-

Why are they not offering the 15" trimmer only without the battery / charger for a realistic price?  (ie selling it for $150)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
what is "2 stage gas"?
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Opps.. bad term.  should say 2 stroke.  the type of engine you need to mix oil with the gas
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah. 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

BTW, there have been complaints about the 12" trimmer.  the 15" trimmer is quite awesome.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Matt, as a fellow Canadian I share your confusion.

(Prices quoted are from Home Depot Canada, for those in the US)

Home Depot seems to do a very lousy job of pricing Ego stuff in Canada. When compared to the US pricing strategy it's completely out to lunch, as you've pointed out.

To answer your question, the upgrade to the 15" trimmer is HUGE. The 12" is OK, but the 15" is one of those tools that just hits it out of the park, it really is that good. Also, the $249 kit price includes the 2.5Ah battery, where the 12" kit only has the 2Ah battery.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,956 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
As a "happy" owner of the EGO 15" trimmer, I have to agree with Blue on this one.  I have owned two different Sears Craftsman gas trimmers until they died on me.  So I bought my EGO back in May of this year, and was "blown away" at the ease and power of this unit.  For a battery operated trimmer, I have plenty of power to do my weekly yard work - and actually enjoy using it more than ever.  As we know by now, the biggest "frustration" with a 2 Cycle Engine (or 2 Strokes as you indicated) gas trimmer is their inconsistency in starting up.  With EGO, I have no more "frustration" with starting up my string trimmer - simply plug in the battery and pull the trigger, and off to the races I go .... : )
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Anyone interested in knowing more about how and why the Canadian consumer is constantly getting screwed should read this article:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/...

Another shining example of how big business has our government in their pockets. Our government is not interested in serving the public, it would seem.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Sadly that article is so true.  And if you think our retail stores are bad for profiteering, take a look at the cell phone companies.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh! Don't get me started on cell phone companies and the CRTC!!! I have enough grey hair coming in as-is!!! :-/
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The day we are allowed to marry our tools, the 15" trimmer will be my wife. Thats how much i love mine.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ok, so I don't quite share 100% of your enthusiasm for that trimmer, but it's a darn nice tool! :-P
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Agreed!
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

• 1,748 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I got the 15" with the 2.5ah battery because the battery and charger was not much more. The trimmer is awesome.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I must have been the "very last" customer EGO sold the trimmer kit to with a 2.0 Ah battery.  I was hoping for the 2.5 Ah but was not so lucky.  I also bought it during their Memorial Day special, with an extra battery for the same price - but once again, it was the 2.0 Ah battery - but glad to have an extra battery on hand ... : )
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So in the end you got the rare 4Ah kit! :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Indeed ... Could have sold the extra battery like everyone, to make extra money. But decided to keep it as a backup, in case I need it for extra run time.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I really like the trimmer, but out of 5 Ego tools, the 530 CFM blower gets my vote as their best garden tool.  I use it every day, and thanks to having plenty of batteries on hand, I can use the TURBO mode often when cleaning up.  The thing lasts roughly the 10 minutes Ego claims, when run in TURBO mode.  That thing is a beast!  and so much more ergonomic for me than strapping on my previous backpack gas blower.  So easy to use, I use it for blowing out my wood shop/garage, as well as yard cleanup. Using the gas blower in that confined space wasn't a great idea--unwieldy and stinky.
Photo of Speedoh

Speedoh

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Matt, I'm with your there on pricing not in the Canadian term but yes pricing is a bit confusing.
Not new to the world of battery powered lawn tools as I had my first mower and trimmer about 5 years ago and slowly dying out on me. Then I found EGO!
As previously I learned my lesson, test test test and more test before committing to a product you will have for years to come. Before EGO I tested ECHO and Kobalt mower. Echo had 90 day and Kobalt 30 day trial. Both mowers were okay except one kept stalling.
After a very very long contemplation I decided to try EGO, after all I had 30 days to try it. I bought the SP 21" mower w/ a side of extra 7.5ah battery as backup. Like all electronics, battery backup is a must.
After 10 cuttings my mower still looks brand new. I use Fluid Film to coat the underside to prevent grass from sticking then just hose the entire mower down.  I have never looked back and only look forward as what next useable tool I need from EGO. With the Rapid Charger, 7.5ah battery and extra 7.5ah battery I have all the power I need and only purchase bare tools now. In my arsenal I have included the 530 CFM and Snow blower. Next probably the 15" trimmer. 
As a side note as expensive these batteries are, I do use a UPS surge protector for all my electronics. This is one thing that is over looked at most of the time. I've been using APC UPS for 20 years and have had no problems. 
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.