Would a brand new mower work with a 2-year old battery?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Hello, I'm thinking about purchasing an extra mower (21" SP), without batteries, and I want to make sure the mower would work with the batteries I have.  I have two batteries, which I purchased two years ago.  Has the mower design changed in the past two years?  My two-year-old batteries would work in a new mower, wouldn't they?  -Scott
Photo of Scott Valenti

Scott Valenti

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 32,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Your batteries will work just fine in the new mower.
Photo of Shatfieldj

Shatfieldj

• 1,470 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Scott. I don’t know about a design change as I don’t have an Ego mower. However all Ego batteries are interchangeable with all Ego tools so you should be good to go. Put them in the new mower and have fun. Steve
Photo of Scott Valenti

Scott Valenti

Great, thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking about buying a second Ego mower, because mine is getting serviced right now.  I have a rather large lawn (two acres), so it would make sense to have two mowers.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 32,550 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
2 acres! It would make sense to have a ride on mower. C'mon EGO! Definitely a second mower, and maybe a 3rd battery.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 6,190 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I hope your older batteries are 5AH or 7.5AH....the 2.5 AH will run the mower, but not for long!
Photo of Scott Valenti

Scott Valenti

I have a riding mower too.  But I prefer to use the EGO mower, because it gives me exercise, and it's five miles to the nearest gas station!  I like to call the riding mower my wheel-chair with blades; my old clunker.  My batteries are the 7.5 AH kind.  -Scott
Photo of Shatfieldj

Shatfieldj

• 1,470 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Two acres walking??? God bless you. I don’t have nearly that much, but last year I got tired of walking in the 90 degree heat and went to my dealer and came home with my Deere. Never looked back. At this age I’m all about getting the job done quickly and comfortabley. It’s true, nothing runs like a deere. I get enough exercise with my trimmer, blower and edger. Big difference from my gas powered tools. I really enjoy using them. Good luck and let us know what you get. Steve
Photo of Scott Valenti

Scott Valenti

Hey, I ended up getting a new SP mower with battery and charger.  So now I have two EGO-SP mowers, two chargers and three batteries.  One of the mowers is still "in the shop."  I still feel that it makes sense to have two mowers, since I have a large (two acre) yard.  And I have a third mower, which is a gas-powered zero-radius-turn riding mower by Cub Cadet, but I hardly ever use it.

The EGO mower(s) is (are) a good source of exercise for me.  I have a farm-house in the country, and I don't do much trimming.  I have a couple spots which I trim once in a while with manual clippers.

Attached is an aerial picture of my house and yard, which I took with a drone.  The front yard is about an acre, and the back yard is about an acre.  I mow the whole thing with an EGO mower--or rather, two mowers, since I have two now--I'll be alternating between them.

-Scott
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 63,348 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That is a great exercise plan Scott.
How long does it take you to complete the job ?
Do you listen to music, audio books or enjoy the quite ?
(Edited)
Photo of Scott Valenti

Scott Valenti

Hi guys, thanks for the nice replies and the "likes."  I usually spread the mowing across four days, about 45 minutes each day.  If the grass is growing fast, I am mowing almost every day!  We haven't been getting much rain lately, so now I'm not mowing very often.  I don't wear headphones; I just enjoy the quiet and try to turn it into a meditation, just listening to the whirr of the blades.  -Scott
Photo of summetj

summetj

Do you get the full 45 minutes out of a single battery, or is that two 7.5 AH batteries?  (I typically get 35 minutes out of my 7.5 AH battery unless I'm mowing grass that doesn't really need it yet.)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I get 45 - 75 minutes out of my 7.5 battery depending on lawns conditions and which blade I am using.
Photo of summetj

summetj

I don't suppose you have a Kill-A-Watt meter to measure how much power your quick charger takes re-filling the 7.5 AH battery? (I'm getting 380 watt hours to recharge the battery after each use).  It's probably due to my use of the high-lift blade and Florida grass in general.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I do not have any meters.
Agree the HL blade eats up the juice.  That is when I get 45 minutes run time.
I am midwest bluegrass fuescue mix
(Edited)
Photo of Scott Valenti

Scott Valenti

It depends on the section of the lawn I am mowing.  The smaller sections I can do in about a half-hour or less, and of course one battery can handle that.  I try to do the whole back yard in one day (about an acre), and that typically takes two battery charges, and sometimes part of a third charge.  These are 7.5 AH batteries.

Note that I do not charge my batteries until I need them.  Experts on lithium-ion batteries seem to agree that one should not store batteries fully charged, but, rather at about half-charge.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 62,938 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good plan with charging before use instead of after, I have been doing that as well.  However, when I use a battery to red light status that means it is down to 15% charge which is also not a good storage level.  So, I will give it a charge for a 5-10 minutes to get it to a 30 - 50% charge level and then let it sit until it is needed again.  I also try and use the standard charger rather than the rapid charger whenever possible as it is probably better for the batteries long term health. 
Photo of Scott Valenti

Scott Valenti

Thumb up.