Winter tool and battery storage

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I read the instructions, but couldn`t find if there is a minimum low temperature for winter storage of my new mower... goes down to -25C here!! Can the mower take it or should I bring it inside?
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of TK

TK

• 4,276 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Mower is ok, just bring in the battery for the cold months...
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for your question.  Your mower itself will be fine in the extreme temperature (as long as you have it stored indoors, safe from snow/rain/elements).  Your battery and charger, however, should be stored in a location where the temperature is greater than 32°F (0° C) and less than 104°F (40° C).  Just store those in the house, in a closet or on a shelf, safe from extreme temperatures.
(Edited)
Photo of Nancy C Brown

Nancy C Brown

• 60 Points
Will my mower be okay under my deck with a tarp over it, or must I put it in the garage? Getting it up the steep hill in the backyard and carrying it over paved steps into the garage will be a chore, that I'd like to avoid. FYI, the  battery is in a closet indoors, and in Kentucky, it rarely gets below 0 degrees.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Personally, I’d be concerned with the amount of humidity under a tarp under the deck. If possible I’d keep it in the garage. It’s only a twice-a-year trip. :-)
Photo of Jean-Guy Lepage

Jean-Guy Lepage

• 826 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This is the same thing with others Ego tools ??
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
All of the tools will be fine as long as they're stored out of the elements and in an area that's not wet or excessively damp. It's mainly the battery and charger that need a little more protection.

I keep my batteries and chargers in my garage, in the upper shelf of a cabinet. My garage never goes below freezing in the winter (it shares two walls with the house, a third wall with the neighbor's house, and has an insulated garage door), and in the cabinet they stay dust free.

Jean-Guy, are you in Quebec somewhere? I'm in Ottawa. If my garage was not attached to my house I would DEFINITELY bring my batteries and chargers indoors for the winter! :-)
Photo of Jean-Guy Lepage

Jean-Guy Lepage

• 826 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm living on the south shore of Montreal. I Just have my Ego tools for about 3 weeks and never used already
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I'm waiting to get mine out again too! The grass will be green again soon, then you're in for a treat! These tools make hard work a pleasure, I can cut my lawn in half the time now that I'm not dealing with a 100 foot extension cord!
Photo of Ted Kubiak

Ted Kubiak

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can the 21" self-propelled mower be stored in an unheated shed (minus the batteri....

Can the mower electronics survive in an unheated shed?  I live in PA and we get freezing temps all winter.  The batteries and chargers are always kept indoors.
Photo of TK

TK

I have the first generation ,and live in Michigan. It was stored outside, and never an issue...

Photo of Brent Lindstrom

Brent Lindstrom

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How should I store my battery in the winter?.

I'm new to EGO and have gone "all in" purchasing the self propelled mower, 16 in chain saw, 15 in string trimmer, and blower. I live in MN so wondering about battery storage over the winter. Do I need to store the batteries indoors or are they ok in the garage where the temps can fall below zero?
Photo of TK

TK

Please! Bring batteries inside for the winter. The batteries will thank you with great performance..
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just wondering, what will happen to the batteries if they are left in the garage in temps outside the suggestd range of 32F-104F?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,800 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Bad things. Just don't let them get below 32. That applies to all lithium batteries.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,508 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Long-term storage at temperatures outside the recommended range will cause an increased rate of time-related capacity loss.
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So I have my chargers mounted on a wall in the garage ... no great place for them inside and don't really want to move them anyway.  Is it ok if I leave the batteries inside all winter w/out charging them?  I assume they will probably drain down to 0 charge.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 102,506 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
after about 30 days they will drain to 30% which is the optimal long term storage level.  No need to charge them over the winter if you are not using them.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,508 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes, the batteries will self-discharge to 30% capacity and hold there for as long as they are stored. Be sure to charge them before using if 30% is not enough to get the job done.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,494 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Will they return to the 30% if not kept on the charger?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,800 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes. it is a self maintenance feature.
Photo of Rob Dunbar

Rob Dunbar

• 62 Points
I live in PA. The battery and charge are stored in the house but is it okay to store the physical mower in a plastic shed with my snowblower? See photo.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I don't see why not. It's dry..
Photo of Jerome

Jerome

• 60 Points
I'm curious why we should protect EGO lithium batteries from cold temperatures for storage.  I drive an electric car (without battery thermal management!) and it stays outside all winter long exposed to temperatures below -25 Celsius (-14 Fahrenheit).  Although it impacts performance, cold does not degrade the lifespan of lithium batteries.  I understand why we should protect batteries against hot temperatures but not cold ones.  What's the explanation for recommending to store EGO batteries in temperatures over 0 Celsius ?
(Edited)