Winter is coming up north. Do I need to store the battery in the basement rather than the garage? How about the charging unit?

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Answered
Photo of Theresa Pipes

Theresa Pipes

• 636 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
From an earlier thread:

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager
Your mower itself will be fine in the extreme temperature (as long as you have it stored indoors, safe from snow/rain/elements).  Your battery and charger, however, should be stored in a location where the temperature is greater than 32°F (0° C) and less than 104°F (40° C).  Just store those in the house, in a closet or on a shelf, safe from extreme temperatures.

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/winter-storage
Photo of Theresa Pipes

Theresa Pipes

• 636 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks, sounds easy enough. I will put it in the basement. Usually the garage is above freezing, but you never know when we will have a real cold snap. 
Photo of Bohdan Sadovy

Bohdan Sadovy

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Should I charge the battery during winter when it is not in use? Thanks.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,580 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No need to charge while in storage. You should begin storage with atleast 30% charge.
If stored at higher than 30% the battery will automatically discharge to 30% after 30 days as this is the best level for storage.
Photo of Bohdan Sadovy

Bohdan Sadovy

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thank you. This is very helpful. I had no idea that it has storage feature like that. Will do.
Photo of Joe Miragliuolo

Joe Miragliuolo

• 60 Points
When storing the battery and charger, should the battery be separate from the charger?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,242 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Although the EGO manuals say there isn't anything wrong with leaving the battery on the charger, they also recommend removing it from the charger. So, there you go.

I keep mine on a shelf right next to the chargers. I keep them in an unheated garage that might get close to 20 degrees but usually stays more toward the high end of the 20s or into the 30s during the winter. A lot of what I have are nearly 4 years old and seem to be pretty impervious to those winter temps.