Will Ego be sold in warehouse clubs?

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not Planned
For a second when I saw this Costco email today I thought the Ego snow blower had hit the ultimate retail home run, being not only sold at but also featured by Costco.

Then I realized it was a competitor.

But this makes me wonder, will I ever see Ego at my local Costco, Sam's, or BJ's? (I may or may not be a member of all three clubs.) At Home Depot the Ego products are one of many and not especially featured, but at any wholesale club they would stand out and get a closer look from a wider audience than they could ever hope to at Home Depot.

Ego seems like the perfect fit for Costco—is there any chance it will ever happen?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We can hope!!!
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi David, no plans for warehouse stores at the moment but it may be something we explore in the future.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Thanks for the update Jennifer!

If you do explore this further, I could definitely see a 21" mower, 15" trimmer, 530cfm blower package with a 5Ah battery, a 2.5Ah battery, and a rapid charger selling very well for around $699. Then cold-climate locations could carry the snow blower in the winter. Add a $50 off coupon mid-season and you would sell thousands.

Costco especially is very much in the business of directing consumer opinion with their Costco Connection magazine, which often has articles and advertisements for new items they are carrying. It would be a great megaphone to reach a mostly high-end demographic and immediately give the brand great credibility with a whole new customer base.

If not being carried in a warehouse club next year, Costco also has traveling road shows that rotate clubs for a week at a time. A spring road show could make for a great test case to see how well Ego would do in the wholesale environment.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,490 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunate pairing of graphics and text on the Home Depot website.  This is just a link to the category from a page of snow equipment, but still.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Not too bright...
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

That's the problem with Home Depot—even if they really value their preferred retailer status with Ego, it's still just one of hundreds that can't all get the attention they deserve. Where as warehouse clubs will usually only carry one kit/bundle per category in club and sometimes a few others online.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,246 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If I was just browsing for a cordless blower I wouldn't take a second look with advertising like that. Especialy if I just seen the "Usefull in light dustings". That ad isn't catching anyone's eye.