Why doesn't the charger fan go off when done charging?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
After charging my battery for my new mower the charger and fan does not go off as it is supposed to and instead stays on. However the manual says:
"5. When the battery pack is fully charged, the charging indication LEDs stop alternating and will shine continuously. The power indicator on the battery will go out. Wait until the cooling fan stops, remove the battery pack from the charger and disconnect the charger from the battery supply."

Since the fan does not stop this raises the concern that the charger is malfunctioning and may be over-charging the battery, which could cause explosion and fire. Do I need to return this unit?
Photo of eclectic reader

eclectic reader

• 70 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your concern.  While the fan should turn off after a full charge, there is no need to return your tool.  We are happy to exchange your charger for you from here.  We want to check out your charger so we'll send a return label to get that one back.  Call us at your convenience at 1-855-346-5656 Monday through Friday from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Saturday and Sunday from 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST) and we'll be sure to take care of you.
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

• 4,098 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Having the same issue with the charger that came with my snow blower...maybe I somehow ended up with the one eclectic reader returned to you guys =D 
Photo of Tcp

Tcp

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
fan stays on for a little while after full charge till battery is cool enough.  That is what happened with mine. Try giving it a few minutes and see if it turns off. 
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

• 4,098 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Yea no unfortunately it's only one of my 5 rapid chargers that does it left it for a good half hour after the 4 lights were full and the fan was going full blast... None of my other rapid chargers do that... Defective...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,428 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Give Ego a call, get it replaced under warranty.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,336 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The manual says that it stays on after just to cool the battery. But mine stays on, I timed it for around 20min after each charge. The manual states not to remove tbe battery until the fan shuts off. So really its basically taking 50min a battery and not the stated 30min.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,688 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You can remove the battery from the charger at any time. Example, if the battery dies just before you get a job done you can put it on the charger for 10 minutes and use the partial charge to finish up.