Why is the high lift blade for ego mower only for bagging?

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
The description says it’s only for bagging?? Is this just because of the extra stress on the motor when mulching? I want to mulch with the high lift blade. The standard blade leaves uncut strips everywhere.
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 13,140 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I mulch with it 95% of the time and it does fine - way better than the standard blade

The only time I don't is if I let the grass get too tall or too many leaves, then and only then, I bag.

I'll never go back to the crappy standard blade
(Edited)
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Perfect!! Wonder why ego says high lift blade is not suggested for mulching. Sounds like the high lift blade is way better then the standard blade. I really hope so as I was about to return the mower. It’s really that bad of a cut at least with lush green Kentucky blue grass/fescue like mine. I honestly couldn’t believe how bad it really mowed my lawn with the standard blade. Guess I’m used to a twin blade Honda though.

Makes sense to not mulch long grass in general. My Honda struggled with mulching tall grass as well. For a nice cut you must have some suction and the standard blade has like zero suction. You can tell looking at the blade. No curve on the blade at all.
Photo of Retired Soldier

Retired Soldier

• 538 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The high lift blade is absolutely better than the standard blade, but that's like saying a smoldering match is hotter than a dead match. Neither blade amounts to much compared to blades on just about any other push mower. That said, I use my high lift blade almost exclusively for mulching, and it's marginally acceptable. The electric motor simply doesn't have the torque of a gasoline-powered mower, but that's no excuse for the mediocrity of the blades. Given the premium price Ego demands for its mower, its performance been a disappointment, but the tradeoff is a cleaner and quieter mower.