Why don't chargers have an optional storage mode that keeps batteries between 30%-50% charge state?

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Under Consideration
Given that batteries are insanely expensive, and that fully charging or discharging while in long term storage, like winter - why can't there be a two position switch on the charger? 1. A normal "charge mode", 2. A "storage mode" that maintains a charge state between 30% - 50% to optimize battery life as the owner's manual states. We only recently got a fuel gauge, something that we've griped about forever. I recognize there would need to be changes to the charger besides just adding a switch, lol. 
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 862 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of TK

TK

• 4,196 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

My understanding is that the battery goes to sleep after 30 days to the 30% level...

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,712 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You don't need a switch. The battery automatically puts itself in storage mode after 30 days of idleness. One reason for the expense. It has a more sophisticated power management system than competitors.
(Edited)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

Yep I understand that, but over time the battery will fully discharge on it's own. Would it not be a good idea to just keep it in the sweet spot for 6 or 7 months of disuse? 
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,680 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It shouldn't? Ours sit for months sometimes, and are still ready to go.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,240 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Still at 30% after 6 months of sitting
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

That is a surprise. A Li-ion battery that sits unused for 6 months at a constant 30% charge without any additional charging? I thought even the very best low self-discharge batteries lose some charge over time. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 62,254 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Looks like an EGO battery would have to sit around for a really long time, 10 years or more, before it is too discharged to use. Link to a UK based PDF.
https://egopowerplus.co.uk/sites/default/files/2018-10/41891-EGO-Battery-FAQs_Interactive_AW_FINAL-c...

Picture from a page in the pdf.

I imagine these numbers are the same for any US sold batteries too.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

That is impressive! A lot of good info in that PDF, thanks.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,680 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm confused by your comment "even the very best..." Egos are the best, and are setting the standard for Li batts.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Nice find Mike !
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow, what a document!!!!!!!!  I think this needs to be PINNED to the top of this forum!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Wow, what a document!!!!!!!!  I think this needs to be PINNED to the top of this forum!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

So exciting Blue posted with both hands
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

So excited I couldn't stop clicking the mouse!  :-)