Why does the LM2100 barely pick up leaves and grass thatch?

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
LM2100 barely picks up leaves and grass thatch. I have to make multiple passes using the lowest level setting and this scalps my lawn. I bought the EGO to replace my Greenworks mower that quit after 6 years. It had no challenges picking up leaves, even on the highest level setting. I’m still within the 90 day return window for Home Depot and thinking of taking it back. Is this a known issue?
Photo of Sterling

Sterling

• 70 Points
  • frustrated

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Howard Halstead

Howard Halstead

• 650 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I live in upstate New York and it worked fine picking up my leaves. I had read about the high-lift blade that is available, but have not yet found where it is needed.
Photo of Pete Innes

Pete Innes

• 2,766 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Get the high lift blade. It’s night and day the difference. Only downside is cutting time is less
Photo of ceedub

ceedub

• 420 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The high lift blade (sold on Amazon for $21) is an improvement over the standard blade sold with the mower. Ego should offer both blades with a new mower. I experienced no reduction in cutting time with the high lift blade.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 161,020 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you are bagging or discharging your clippings the HL blade is an option for you. Users have reported mixed results when using it for mulching
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,634 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Re: the OP's question - Why you asked?  Because you don't have the proper blade - the High Lift blade, there's yer answer.  The standard blade that comes with the mower sucks - in a bad way - the HL sucks, in a good way.

It made mine the mower I had wished it was - before with the standard blade it wouldn't lift, pick up anything, lift was non existent.  I had to go over my lawn and lift all the leaves to the top of the grass.

After high lift, it sucks - stuff up off the ground - and I use it strictly for mulching, so don't let that bagging thing scare you off.  I'm not even sure I know where my bag is.  (My mower bag I mean....)

I'll never go back to that crappy "standard" blade.  And I don't notice reduction in cutting time worth worrying about.
So here - read this:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/my-mower-sucks-and-im-happy-about-that
(Edited)