Which might be best for me - LM2101 21" (5.0Ah battery) or the LM2102SP (7.5Ah battery)?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I'm thinking of buying either the LM2101 21" (5.0Ah battery) or the LM2102SP (7.5Ah battery), and I'd like the Community's sense of which would best fit my needs. (I've read enough of these conversations to know opinions are diverse on any given topic - so I'm especially looking for input from those whose needs, circumstances or experiences parallel my own.) This year I had most of my front yard landscaped into a large “free-form” garden. This leaves me with relatively small – but connected - areas of grass to mow; and with long stretches of curved molding that define the garden areas. While there aren’t “steep inclines” to mow, the area to mow is uneven in several places. I prefer to mulch (vs. bag) cut grass and leaves as it requires less effort and there’s no cost to recycle yard waste. I want a cordless, electric lawnmower for convenience and ecology. I’m 72 years of age and neither “running time” nor battery charging time is an issue for me; either the battery will outlast me, or I’ll need a rest!
Photo of LillyJo

LillyJo

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Eric55

Eric55

• 1,696 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
My backyard is very simialar design to what you described. The 2101 is light enough that you most likely be able to push the mower with no problems since you do not have major inclines. However the 2102SP offers a slightly better high lift blade that is supposed to mulch better. There is much discussion in the community about the effectiveness of the blade, so much that EGO has announced a new high lift blade that will be released in January of 2017. Since battery life and pushing is not critical I think the 2101 should work fine with the new high lift blade being released in January. Unless you need something ASAP it might be prudent to wait until spring time and see if EGO releases the 2017 mowers with the new blades.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,918 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Eric, to my knowledge both 21" mowers come with the exact same blade (they both use the same replacement blade part number).

Ego will be releasing a high lift blade next year, but it is intended for bagging and discharge mowing, not mulching.
Photo of Eric55

Eric55

• 1,696 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update. With all of the traffic on the community I was not sure of which blade was actually on the 2101.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,918 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
No problem! :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
LilyJo, since you mention curved edges, you might even consider the original 20" mower. It is the lightest and easiest to maneuver of the Ego models, and might suit your needs if the self-propel feature is not necessary.
Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

• 1,288 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm with BlueAngel and Eric here. I own 2101 mower and my yard is about 1/4 acre with curves and some inclines and declines. 2101 is light enough to easily maneuver. My neighbor (who has exact same size of the property and nearly identical lawn) bought 2102 so I had a chance to try it out. I found 2102 to be rather inconvenient (at least, for my purpose) because sometimes you literally have to run behind it. 5.0Ah battery is enough for me to completely mow my whole lawn without re-charging. On top of that, you will be saving $100.

Also, as Eric mentioned, it might be a good idea to wait until spring to see if EGO comes up with a new walk-behind model. On the other hand, EGO might be on sale during winter holidays. So it's up to you here - get it cheaper or get newer model.

Good luck and welcome to EGO community.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,938 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
For someone with a larger lawn, having the larger battery might make sense whether or not they plan to push or propel.

Or someone (like me) who just wants the biggest battery just because. :-)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,566 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Ok..ok I use SP on my small hills sometimes if I have had too much to drink. :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,938 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,610 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would call you a liar
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,730 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
To jump on the bandwagon and provide some insight, my yard is about 7000ft2. I bought the SP and have no prior experience with the previous model, but find the SP to be easy to use (as compared to a traditional gas), and (even so) very rarely engage the drive motor. I also get 2 mowings off a single charge of the 7.5 battery.

That said, I also bought the backpack blower (which came with a 5.0 battery) and have used that as well. Still, able to mow the entire lawn on a single charge with battery to spare.
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Totally get the SP, we all have this malady of getting older every year. 

Don't use the lever if you don't care to but it's darn nice to have it.

And you don't want buyer's remorse in a year or two.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Having owned and used the 20" for 2 years before upgrading to the 21" SP this year, my personal experience is that the 20" is much more nimble and maneuverable, depending how tight the bends in those grassy areas are. You won't notice much difference in the cutting width in a lawn that small, so that isn't a major factor.

It is worth noting that the blade motor on the 21" push model is 100w more powerful than the 20", but the 21" SP is 300w more powerful than the 21" push model. That can make a difference in very thick yards that are mowed pretty short (like 1.5" tall bermuda in the south).

If the 20" mower doesn't overload in thick grass, it's blade spins at a fixed speed that is slightly faster than the normal speed on the 21" mowers, so it will generally much better on average lawns. However the 21" mowers increase power as the blade hits thick spots that would slow it down, while the 20" will just bog down and eventually overload in those situations.

It doesn't sound like you have much use for the 7.5Ah battery, but I would definitely recommend the 5Ah battery in either mower unless you can get a really good deal on a closeout 20" kit with 4Ah battery.