which ego lawnmower should I buy

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
I am interested in purchasing a ego lawwnmower.  I have a lawn which is about 5000 square feet so an 1/8th of an acre about.  It is relatively flat - appreciate comments on what ego I should get.  I am not a lawn fanatic if that helps.  Another consideration is that I might be interested in buying a ego snowblower as well - in case that makes a difference because of shared parts like the battery etc... thanks in advance!
Photo of Israel Soibelman

Israel Soibelman

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Some questions. Do you think you'll need self propel? Maybe not if yard is pretty flat. Do you generally bag the clippings or mulch them? Leaves in the fall to pick up? How much snow would you need to move? 
The latest and greatest 2 blade mower does a great job and is available in self propel and non self propel. It doesn't mulch all that well in my experience but it bags great. It really doubles well as a yard vacuum too. It sucked up our fall leaves with ease. Cut quality is the best of any EGO mower. 

Since the EGO battery system means any EGO battery can be used in any EGO tool that makes staying with EGO an easy decision. Whichever direction you go, meaning snow blower before mower or vice versa, get the kit for both. Meaning tool, batteries, and charger. It's the best price for all of those things. You are practically getting the tool for free. The snowblower works best with 8 ah or more of battery power so you will want at least 2 5 ah batteries for it. The new mower comes with 7.5 ah for the self propel model and 5 ah with the non. 

An alternative to the snow blower is the bristle brush attachment for the multi-head system. I used mine recently on about 1" of fresh snow and it worked well. Unfortunately the brush is only sold as an attachment to the multi-head but there is a kit that is an edger and multi-head together that comes with battery and charger.

Photo of Dan Lambesis

Dan Lambesis

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If you don’t have physical limitations requiring a self-propelled mower, I would recommend the standard version with 5 ah battery. Don’t get the ‘tool only’ option.  FYI - my local Home Depot in Michigan has quite a few of these on clearance in the store (unadvertised) at $249.99.

At snowblower time, do NOT get ‘tool only’ because a single 5 ah battery (from lawn mower) will not be sufficient.  The snowblower uses more power and the cold reduces battery charge - so it pays to have extra batteries when blowing snow.
We have both the self-propel lawnmower and the snowblower. Get both - you will never regret this.

Last year, we got all the EGO tools. My husband is now a dedicated yard groomer. We have: the lawnmower, the snowblower, the leaf blower, the chain saw, the hedge trimmer and the edge trimmer.

It was a clean break from maintaining the gas-powered tools. FWIW, the leaf blower can also be used to clear snow to some degree if its a light-ish snow - like off of the car or the deck. Hubs got the idea of using the leaf blower when he saw the field maintenance crews using leaf blowers on a snowy field during a football game this year.

EGO tools have completely changed our attitudes about maintenance. We no longer dread the tasks.

The big advantage of the EGO tools over gasoline is that with the gasoline tools, we had constant concern about keeping the gas engines maintained on tools that were used seasonally - which translates to having to put additives in the tanks in off-seasons and paying to have technicians tune up everything when the seasons started back up again. It filled both of us with dread: Will the tools start up again easily or will something be broken from lack of use?

With EGO, we just keep batteries topped off. It's unbelievably easy because the batteries are interchangeable with the different tools. 

We literally sold off, gave away all of our tools and invested completely in EGO. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great report - thanks Peggy.
The lack of maintenance was my main reason for switching to Ego as well.  No oil, no gas, no spark plugs, no pulling the start cord.  Just put the battery in, push the button and GO.
That's exactly it. Now, there is something to consider depending on where you live - and that is where you are going to keep a charging station. I suggested that we keep the batteries indoors in our house since our attached garage is not heated at all. See what I'm saying? I didn't want the batteries out in the cold fighting cold storage. So, setting aside a charging station space is a perhaps minor consideration but worth mentioning.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 12,122 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
if you can swing it, I vote for the SP even if you don't have hills. on super hot days, it can be nice to be able to take it a little easier.  Plus, If you have any awkward turns like near fences or structures where getting behind the mower can be a challenge, you can stand next to the mower and use the SP to mow it forward until you can get behind it again. This is keeping in mind with ego you get best results by mowing back and forth, rather than in a circle around your yard. 

We do over 2 acres and 1/4 mile of paths with ours and we can do the equivalent of your yard on less than one 7.5 battery.  FYI,  higher battery numbers translate to longer run time.  I also have both the blower and 2 mowers, and the multi head, so we have enough batteries that we can finish any job without having to wait to recharge (as long as we remember to stick 'em back on the charger, grin.) 
(Edited)

Israel Soibelman

Thank you all for your replies - someone near me is selling a two year old 21 inch self propelled model for 200 - this includes the battery and charger - it appears fully operational

Worth it or should I just get a new one?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Note that the 5 year tool warranty/ 3 year battery warranty is not transferrable so you won't have any warranty on that 2 yo mower, battery, or charger. If you decide to get it, test it very thoroughly before buying. I would go so far as to run the mower until the light on the battery goes red and then make them fully recharge the battery on the charger. 

Israel Soibelman

Another question - in terms of reliability and issues coming up - are some ego’s better then others - for example SP versus not SP?
Thanks
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

I have one of each. I haven't had the sp very long so I can't say how reliable it will be but it works well. My 4 yo non-sp model works great. Is light enough to use that I don't feel any need for sp. (The sp model was a gift so that's why I have one) 
As with all things, the more features there are the more things there are to break. That's how I look at it. SP may last you a lifetime, or it might break tomorrow. Non-sp means you don't have to worry about that feature at all. But, something else might break so only you can decide if you need sp or not. 
I do believe the new double blade mower offers best cut quality of all the EGO mower offerings. It certainly vacuums up leaves and the cut grass better than the other ones. However, now there are 2 blades to maintain. Not worse, just different. 
I think you will be happy with any of the EGO offerings. Worrying about reliability and those kinds of things will just send you down a rabbit hole you won't get out of. 

Israel Soibelman

Well after much research I went with a Ryobi 20 inch self propelled - Home Depot had a special 25 percent off for 300 including the battery and charger . The size of my lawn was the ultimate factor - only about 5000 square feet or an eighth of an acre - thanks for all the feedback to my questions
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Sorry to hear that. A good case of letting price guide a poor purchase rather than comparing features and actual value. Ryobi batteries are entirely different and fade in power and charging ability because they don't have the tech that controls the charging that accounts for Ego's extended life. We have Ryobi hand tools and in the same window, we are on our third set of batts while our original 4 year old Egos are still buzzing along. Good luck. Anything is better than gas though.
(Edited)

Israel Soibelman

Ok did more research and am returning the Ryobi and going for the ego - question for a small yard like mine - an eighth of an acre and fairly flat - how important is the self
Propelled feature and also the 21 inch versus 20 inch models - are there are features that these have?
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I answered the SP question above. Others can speak to the brushed vs brushless motors, which I understand are the main differences.  Brushless is supposed to be better? 
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

I think it comes to, there are 1,000s of happy ego mowers out there, so you can't really go wrong with any model.  I think folks are really happy with the newest dual blade version.  I'm tempted to go for it this year and pass along one of our old ones.  
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Israel, IMO you won't need, or miss, sp on a yard that size. Regardless of the obstacles the non-sp models are plenty light enough to move around however you'd like in awkward spots. I have the original 21" non-sp model and it cuts well for a single blade mower. I do keep the blade sharpened once or twice a mowing season so I know that helps. I also keep the underside clean. It's a brushed model and it has plenty of power and runtime for my similar to yours sized yards. And, since price might still be a concern for you, that one is still available with rapid charger and 5 ah battery as a kit for $399. 
I do have the brand new whiz bang dual blade model. It was a gift so I do have the sp too. Honestly, I likely won't use sp that much but it does work nice. The dual blade setup really gives great cut quality and vacuums up the leaves and clippings really well. I don't feel it mulches any better than my old single blade, but since I got it near the end of mowing season I haven't tested it a lot on grass mulching. Once mowing season starts back up I'll get a better feeling for how it mulches. It's a brushless motor so maybe that is needed with the dual blade? Don't know. As I said, my old one is brushed and it does a just fine job. 
You might also be able to squeeze in a string trimmer with some of the savings you might see with buying the older version mower. 
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 9,120 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have the same size lawn as you and would recommend the SP. I don't use it much at all but comes in handy when you are in tight quarters and SP will pull the mower right through. And when I'm finished mowing I might have string trimmer and/or blower with me and use SP just to propel the mower to my storage shed to save a trip.