Which battery is best for the 14" chainsaw, and is there any advantage to using a more powerful battery?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I just ordered a 14" chainsaw with a 2.0 amp battery, and am considering adding a 15" trimmer and 21" lawnmower. Since the lawnmower comes with a 5.0amp battery, was wondering how well the other tools perform with the more powerful battery, and whether I need three batteries.
Photo of Roy Ellzey

Roy Ellzey

• 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Roy the larger batteries (4Ah, 5Ah and 7.5Ah) have the ability to maintain their output better under high load applications, as well as increasing run time. This is the reason the new self propelled mower comes bundled with the largest battery.

The new 16" chainsaw is bundled with the 5Ah battery. I would assume that, when cutting really thick logs or when pushing the tool really hard, the 5Ah battery will allow the tool to do the job without slowing as much.

Having said that, the reviews don't lie and the chainsaw/2Ah combo still has plenty of power. Most people are very happy with it.

If I was you, I would consider maybe getting the string trimmer as a bare tool and having both the 2 and 5Ah batteries. Unless you have a large yard to look after I would think those two batteries would get you by. The mowers will run on the 2Ah batteries (I've used my mower with the 2Ah many times) but will be more likely to struggle in thick or wet grass.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would agree with blue. Having a 5 and 2 ah battery is a great combination. I have always used the two 2ah, and one 4ah to mow 1.5 acres. I could mow continuously. 2 always charging, one in use. Summer is coming. Im going to be busy. Gota work off this winter belly. I found it in the pantry.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
All of the batteries work equally well in all of the tools. I've had no issues running my lawnmower on a 2.0Ah battery, and have used the 7.5Ah battery in my blower, hedge trimmer, and string trimmer without any problems. The 2.5Ah battery is obviously a slightly better battery than the 2.0Ah you already have, giving you 20% more juice with no extra weight or bulk.

That said, if you already have a standard charger and one small battery, I wouldn't worry about getting another kit with an extra standard charger and 2.5Ah battery IF you also have (or plan to get) a mower with 4/5Ah battery and rapid charger. You should get 150% more run time with any tool using the 5.0Ah battery, and the extra weight isn't much of a factor unless you're using them for an extended period.

With just two batteries and a rapid charger, you should have almost uninterrupted continuous use of all your handheld tools, and only a few minutes of downtime using the mower with your 2.0Ah battery while the 5.0Ah battery finishes charging in the rapid charger after the smaller battery is depleted.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

David, have you tried the small batteries in your 21" SP mower yet?

I've noticed my mower tends to go into overload easier when using the 2Ah batteries, but it's only an issue when pushing through thick or tall grass. Regular mowing is fine with the 2Ah.

With the added power draw of the SP mower I wouldn't be surprised to see that situation exacerbated in thicker grass.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I should add that I mulch exclusively, which takes more power.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I've run the 2.0Ah in my 21" SP, but never mowing thick grass. It runs the blades and SP simultaneously with no problem, but without any real load it's hard to tell for sure how it will do in real world conditions.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
The newer chainsaws scale the power drawn when larger capacity batteries are attached. The original Ego chainsaw doesn't do that. Look for the newer 14" or the 16" saw. The newer ones I've read have a ribbed handle instead of the smooth handle. The newer saws also have the bar size printed on the bar.

So with the newest saw with a 5 amp hour battery would allow the saw to provide a lot more power during the cut than a 2. 5 Amp Hour battery. I've seen this mentioned in several reviews by very reputable reviewers.

So even though the original 14 inch chainsaw is a good saw, I would go for the newer saws.

Plus, if you are going to get an Ego mower... consider that each of the mowers has a different size blade motor. I bought the self-propelled 21 inch mower which has a 1000 watt motor for the blade. It also comes with a 7.5 Ah battery and rapid charger.

http://www.workshopaddict.com/tools/e...
(Edited)