Which adapter kit is required to put a brush blade on the EGO String Trimmer?

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • Answered
Photo of Peter Sollimo

Peter Sollimo

• 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 92,148 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Brush cutter is not currently available in North America.  It is only available in the UK/Europe.

Hopefully that will change soon
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
And just in case Peter is referring to the regular 15” string trimmer, it is not intended for use with aftermarket accessories.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,038 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
By the way, last I heard, Mower Magic ships to the United States, so if you do want the brushcutter, you can get it from there.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Maybe I am misremembering because I can't seem to find the post, but I thought Amber posted in another discussion that the European brush cutter attachment was not compatible with the US tool.
(Edited)
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Correct, yet again! The European attachment is not compatible with the American Power Head. 

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/bca1200-attachment
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Winner winner chicken dinner - show me the money !
Photo of richbrew

richbrew

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So when do we get one in the US? I have a big patch behind my yard that really needs one of these.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

There are MANY of us waiting for this to be made available on this continent. Hopefully soon? Please?!?
Photo of Joe Stevens

Joe Stevens

• 62 Points
I would buy a brush cutter as soon as available in US
Photo of Scott Blanchard

Scott Blanchard

• 878 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
+1000 for brushcutter attachment! I can't cut my back yard with this baby string trimmer. I have a 2K watt motor and it feels like its running half speed.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

What you talkin bout Scott ?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If a 2000W 15” string trimmer is a baby, what does a grownup look like?!?

+1 for the brush cutter tho!!!
Photo of Scott Blanchard

Scott Blanchard

Just discouraged trying to cut tiny privet brush with the orange string that came on this. I feel much better now though. I found a stihl brushcutter blade and replaced the head with that. No more privet! And the trimmer is more beast than baby with that setup:

(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Well that will get the job done.

After reading Blues post I think I understand that you were expressing 1000% interest.  Rather than complaining about a $1000 price tag which is how I read it.

Glad you got something working to take care of your brush
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 69,134 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'll also chime in to say I love my Ego string trimmer but I'm not a fan of the string that comes with it. I've found it to be too brittle. I switched to Husqvarna Titanium Force string and that has proved to be much more durable. It's still not a brush cutter, but it chewed through some pretty thick stuff I have along the fence in my backyard.

Ego has been bringing Power Head attachments that are available in Europe to the U.S. I think the brush cutter is the last holdout. I can't help but wonder whether we'll finally see it this year.
i would like a brush cutter option too.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,844 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We continue to share your ideas with the team. Please keep em coming! :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 90,700 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It is officially spring now.......
Haven't been any new products announced for a  few weeks.....
Do you have something you would like to share with us Amber .......
:)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,018 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Like a new 21 in. mower in the works sold with the high lift blade and an actual side discharge... or better, a 22 inch?
Photo of Scott Blanchard

Scott Blanchard

The Oregon or Stihl 3-bladed brushcutter blade has been confirmed to work with the 15 inch trimmer that is part of the power head unit.

Caveats:

(1) I would not attempt this with the standard trimmer as its head design is different and more importantly, its motor is not as powerful as the 2K watt motor that drives the power head (equivalent to a 2.6hp 44cc gas engine). The power head motor is a BEAST.

(2) Do not attempt to use the circular saw blade. This blade has a tendency to kick back and stall when it gets stuck on dense material, resulting in harmful effects on the power head motor and drive assembly that will surely not be covered under warranty. FWIW, I've had a gas operated bike handle brushcutter that does the same thing, but it perhaps its able to absorb shock better than the EGO unit does.

(3) As an alternative, I have been using a Grass Gator Extra Heavy Duty brushcutter blade head with my CORE power 36v string trimmer with much success and no adverse affects on the trimmer. That head will cut through 1 inch privet stalks and keep moving along.

Video proof:

(Edited)
Photo of Jason Harris

Jason Harris

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Are you using a 10" diameter blade?  If so, has anyone tried a 12" blade? 
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 60 Points
So in the video it appears you didn't use a thrust washer - only the large cover and nut? This is sufficient to hold the blade under load? I bought the Stihl kit but the thrust washer has too few spline notches (10) and my STA1500 has 14 notch spline.

Thanks if you can advise me.
(Edited)
Photo of Scott Blanchard

Scott Blanchard

Here is a video of me using the Grass Gator Extra Heavy Duty brush cutter head with my 36v CORE power trimmer (I still have this unit while I'm awaiting the arrival of my brand new EGO power head and trimmer combo)

Highly recommend this head if you are looking for brushcutter blade for your power-head string trimmer:

(Edited)
Photo of richbrew

richbrew

theres obviously demand for this, since people are willing to mod trimmers to make their own. why not just get moving and release one for the multi tool already?
i agree. I would  buy the adapter now!
Photo of Joshua Isley

Joshua Isley

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I WANT to buy the EGO Power + Multi head system but the lack of a brush cutter is more than likely going to push me into the arms of another manufacturer. Not sure why the UK can have had one for years but none in the US and no news either. Oh well... time to look long and hard at Greenworks, Kobalt or Ryobi
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 54,002 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
As we are starting to enter into yard care season, it'll be interesting to see what gets released in the next couple months. EGO plays it pretty close to the vest with product announcements so we'll all have to wait and see. 

Yeah, yeah, I know there are areas that are pretty much yard care season year round. But most companies still follow the winter/spring model for products.

It would be nice to see accessories that can be used on existing products, such as a brush cutter head to fit onto a string trimmer, or an actual mulching or dethatching blade for the mowers. 
Photo of richbrew

richbrew

I bought into this system because it seemed to be the best. However, it seems like it’s become a stagnant system. In a year I’ve seen one whole new product, and it was an old product with an extra battery. Seems like they have an R&D Dept of one person. I don’t know why they can’t port an existing product from overseas. I’ve been considering jumping to another system for any future purchases since others are actually adding more compatible devices. (See ryobi for example)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

DS has some Ryobi tools that are sort of similar to EGO's multi-head system. Apples and oranges in comparison. I own EGO and have used his Ryobi stuff. While Ryobi is perfect for him and his budget, the quality isn't even close to EGO's. 
I have a feeling EGO won't push anything to market just to get it out there but will make sure it meets the standard EGO has already set.
Photo of Scott Blanchard

Scott Blanchard

• 816 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
If you purchase a brush cutter blade and the Stihl adapter, you can replace your existing trimmer head with a brush cutter blade. I've done it and it works very well. Here's a snapshot of my setup:

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

That's a clean looking setup. Warranty is void, of course, but I bet it works great.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 88,852 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Didn't Ego just come out with a cultivator ?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cultivator-Attachment-CTA9500/308666645?cm_mmc=S...

It was an often requested item and is now available.  Seems like the brush cutter would be next based on request level.  I would certainly wait for the end of spring to see what else they release for the 2019 season before purchasing another platform.

The multihead line seems to be growing at a nice steady pace- hedge trimmer and cultivator recent additions, although it is always too slow when the tool you need is not included.

Agree with Mike - Ryobi is ok but Ego is certainly a step up.  i switched edgers recently and it was toy to tool.  Others would not be as wide a gap I am sure but the edger sure was.

Photo of Joshua Isley

Joshua Isley

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The only problem with waiting until the end of spring is I do most of my heavy yard maintenance during spring. I have a couple acres, a lot of it is wooded, and the brush cutter is a necessity.

Scott, can you tell me which Stihl adapter? And would this work on the 15" trimmer attachment?
I’d like to know which still adapter too
Photo of Scott Blanchard

Scott Blanchard

@OregonMike said:
That's a clean looking setup. Warranty is void, of course, but I bet it works great.
Yes, it works as good or better than the gas powered Still FS-130 handlebar brushcutter I owned a few years ago before going all in on EGO.

On the warranty issue, the EGO powerhead came with an edger attachment and was only $150 new for the pair - the same price as a bare powerhead!! 

They are so cheap I bought another as a backup or to sell just because I thought it was a pricing mistake at $150 for the pair.

FWIW, I'm considering a retrofit of one of my "spare" powerhead units with this set of Stihl brushcutter handlebars and rig a throttle assembly up:

Throttle assembly from the Stihl FS-130 Brushcutter

My old Stihl FS-130 handlebar brushcutter

(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Still $129 for the PH and edger.  Still a crazy good price.

$149 for the power head alone.
Photo of Scott Blanchard

Scott Blanchard

@Joshua Isley said:
Scott, can you tell me which Stihl adapter? And would this work on the 15" trimmer attachment?

https://amzn.to/2IWgFnZ
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Also still not sure why Ego doesn't bring their handle bar brush cutter to NA.  Hopefully this spring.  It has been available in EU for quite a while.
Photo of Scott Blanchard

Scott Blanchard

@szwoopp said: 
Still $129 for the PH and edger.  Still a crazy good price. $149 for the power head alone.
Wow! You're right now that I remember, it was cheaper to get the combo than it was to get the powerhead alone.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Shhhhhh. we don't want the pricing department to hear.  This is just for us here to know until we all get in on the deal.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,666 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@Scott Blanchard;
On the warranty issue, the EGO powerhead came with an edger attachment and was only $150 new for the pair - the same price as a bare powerhead!! 
Yeah, no worries. It was mostly a comment for someone who might come along and read this and not realize it would void the warranty.

I think it's a great idea. 

Photo of Scott Blanchard

Scott Blanchard

Hey guys, been a while but I'm getting kinda tired of having to swap out my brushcutter blade with the string trimmer head all the time. I'm considering either purchasing another string trimmer attachment ($119 plus tax online), a full 15 inch dedicated string trimmer (non attachment capable $129 plus tax online), or another one of the $129 edger + power head units and retrofit the gearing assembly with a string trimmer gear assembly and trimmer head.

I'm leaning towards just buying the dedicated string trimmer and call it a day. However, I like a challenging project and modifying an edger attachment is appealing if its possible and cost effective. After all, I could sell the power head alone for nearly enough to pay for the purchase - I've already sold one and kept the edger attachment.

For the edger retrofit option, I'd need to pick up a used stihl trimmer head or similar and retrofit the head onto the edger shaft. Does anyone know what the business end of the edger shaft looks like and whether or not it would mate up to a Stihl trimmer power head?