Where is the battery charge reduction circuit for storage located?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I need a clarification. Is the circuitry that reduces the battery charge to 30% after 30 days of disuse contained in the battery itself or the charger? The instruction manual for the battery recommends unplugging the charger and removing the battery when not in use. However if the circuitry for reducing the battery charge is contained in the charger, the maintenance reduction will not occur if one follows the instruction manual recommendation to remove the battery for storage.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,328 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
It's located in the battery. In fact, while the discharge is taking place the end cap by the power button will get warm to the touch.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Thank you for the clarification.  So I am correct in assuming that the reduction will take place with the battery removed from the charger as recommended in the instruction manual?  
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Correct, and you'll likely notice the button and area right around it is slightly warmer than ambient temperature (assuming about 72F).
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yep, the battery goes into storage mode whether on the charger or not, as long as it's been sitting unused for 30 days.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Thank you, everyone for the great replies!  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Any time! BTW, great user name!
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Thanks, I hope to keep it a long time, verses Echocentric or Sun Joecentric.  I bought the chainsaw 5 months ago, the line trimmer last week, and have a 20 inch mower on order.  So far I am really impressed with Ego.  

I wish when I bought the saw I was more familiar with the Ego power system.  I bought the 14 inch saw, thinking nothing more than needing a small saw.  The 16 inch has a 5Ah battery verses 2Ah for 50 bucks more.  Dang, opportunity missed. 
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm not sure they had the 16" with 5.0 AH five months back?
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

They had a 16 inch and it was $300, but I couldn't say what battery it had because I wasn't thinking in terms of batteries, just that I needed a small chain saw.  It wasn't until a week ago I decided to replace my fleet of garden tools with Ego battery operated ones.   $50 more for a bigger saw and a 2.5 times bigger battery!  Dang opportunity missed.  

But in all honesty the 2.0 Ah outlasts me.  Not that sawing is at all difficult, its the dragging away that beats me up.  Old man, bad back, junk knees.