When will EGO trimmers allow heavier trimmer line like .105? It works a WHOLE LOT BETTER.

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Under Consideration
Home Depot, Lowes et al all sell heavier duty trimmer line like .105 which works much better in heavier grass and weeds. WHY won't EGO come up with a trimmer head that takes .105?
Photo of John Swartz

John Swartz

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Lapp3r30

Lapp3r30

• 668 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
That's a great question.  I would like to try some heavier string as well.  I'm not an engineer, but, it seems like there is plenty of power for larger line.
Photo of John Swartz

John Swartz

• 60 Points
Okay everyone I just fixed the the problem with the .105 line and I did it at Home Depot. ...

1. I had been using the yellow colored Heavy Duty and the Rinotuff brands.105 line which are much cheaper and they tore up and chopped the grass and the ground around it.
2. Yesterday I brought Echo Black Diamond .105, which costs a few dollars more and boy WHAT A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE. The front of the package says: Razor Sharp for Fast Cutting, and it is truth in advertising....first and foremost, it loads easily into the autoloading bump head, and second, it slices through the grass like a surgical knife. It is one thousand times better.  It costs about 16.99 for the big package. of 217 feet. Spend the extra money and your problem is resolved......
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 6,766 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Are you talking about Power head trimmer or standard 15" ? I have no experience with the power load trimmers.

In both cases they will work with some .105 lines.

Are you looking for longer lasting line or greater cutting speed/power?

With the Battery trimmers runtime is affected by line weight.....so .105 will take a little more juice to run. With the 15" it is more noticeable .

I have run quite a bit of .105, hundreds of feet of .95 and am currently running .080....strange right but with the guard off and a little extra line out killing power goes way up. I do this for a living in the Pacific Northwest and trim all types of property with all types of vegetation.

Jeremy
Photo of Lapp3r30

Lapp3r30

What is your preference Bigfoot?  I do this for a living as well in central Canada.  Probably similar vegetation I would imagine.  Kentucky blue?
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 6,766 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Mixture of grasses as well as weeds, viney type plants, volunteers ect.

I did a mobile home park so I just felt guard on was the way to go.....dropped the park and dropped the guard. During Spring Green up I have been running power head trimmer, .080 line at about 18" or so mainly on 1 but sometimes on 2 hooked to a backpack link 7.5 battery. 15" trimmer will run with a little extra stick out too but needs a larger battery when doing it.

While .080 is considered by most pros to light.....it works well with these battery powered trimmers with guard off and extra stick out.

Jeremy
Photo of Lapp3r30

Lapp3r30

So you have the commercial pack?  How do you find it?  I'm not interested because A) We have stock of 15" in storage.  B) Tether?  What are your thoughts?
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 6,726 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Not the commercial pack......Ego has a backpack link that allows you to put a battery on your back tethered to a dummy battery on the machine. It allows me to run 7.5ah batteries without the weight in your hands. With no battery on trimmer plus guard off makes for a nice light trimmer.

Being tethered is easy to get used to on the trimmer ......just ok with a handheld blower and just doesn't work with a hedge trimmer.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,740 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
While back Husqvarna Titanium Force 0.095" line was suggested. I bought a spool and it is excellent!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That was probably me. I've been using the Husqvarna line for a couple of years now and have never looked back!