When are you going to offer a solar powered charger ?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
When are you going to offer a solar powered charger so i can charge my batteries using the power of the sun!?? It would be great for landscapers who want to switch to all of your great products tgo get the job done!
Photo of Thomas Vlahoff

Thomas Vlahoff

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
It looks like the new inverter will be solar compatible and it also acts as a battery charger so maybe that will be the way EGO is going to go with the solar idea.
Photo of Robby

Robby

• 804 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
@Mike Is there anything specific that makes you say that? From my read of the manual, it looks like you could power the inverter with a 12V=>56V DC-DC step-up converter. I don't see any indication of whether it could trickle charge off of a solar connection though (i.e. no idea what the minimum amperage is, or how much current is utilized in overhead).
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Just wishful thinking, Robby. All we can do is wait and see how the solar will be implemented in this.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,680 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's kind of an open rumor at this point. A couple of the reputable YouTube tool review channels that had the Power Station early said a solar charger for it was in the works.
Photo of William

William

• 60 Points
Any updates? Official?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
nothing new or official
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

William, EGO keeps any sort of new product or product update releases very close to the vest so there likely won't be anything until you start to see things show up through the usual retail channels which will then trigger some threads here.Since yard care season is pretty much in full swing now, it probably won't be this part of this year. We could hope for a fall/winter release or maybe something next year. 
Photo of gregory paul

gregory paul

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Nexus Power Station - when it has solar a connection then I will buy it.

(Edited)
i think its worth waiting for this feature :( 
Very disapointed that its not available, it would take the product on another level.
Photo of gregory paul

gregory paul

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
you are so right Rene!
Photo of Greg DeRossi

Greg DeRossi

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree 1000% as a zero emission - green gardener owner - operator small biz that has nothing but EGO in the bed of my truck! a rapid charging mobile option to top off all batteries in the field including the 27ah backpack
Photo of Greg DeRossi

Greg DeRossi

DeWalt makes a similar dock 1 cord and like 6 battery charging ports. Even if EGO made a rapid charger with 4 or 5 slots to carry on the go it would allow charging of all batteries at once and could be very very popular! ;)
Photo of Greg DeRossi

Greg DeRossi

EGO don't forget tough grips for lifting on both sides
Photo of TK

TK

• 548 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
So the current power station cannot be charged by solar in the future? Or does it have a way to retrofitted? If it cannot be added in the future the thing is worthless for any emergencies longer than one day.
Photo of TK

TK

So the current power station cannot be charged by solar in the future? Or does it have a way to retrofitted? If it cannot be added in the future the thing is worthless for any emergencies longer than one day.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

A solar panel is rumored/reported by third parties to be in the works and coming out next year
Photo of TK

TK

And that will work with the current power station? I just don’t want to buy one if its off the grid worthless.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Yes it is supposed to be designed for the current power station per several online reviews when the power station was first released.  They reported that a solar charging panel was in the works.

The power station has the ability to have its firm ware updated as well. So a Gen 2 is much less likely in the near future.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 10,596 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
In a Pro Tools Review interview, Barnaby says the solar panel is coming soon. Instagram video: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3uwibdlckT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Well Gerry Barnaby didn't say it, but it was said by PTR in his presence ;)

That is an example of what I am talking about...several online sources reported that  solar charging is in the works for the current power station.
(Edited)
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 10,596 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You're right. I didn't catch that. Owning a Honda 2000 Watt Inverter...I'm not sure I have a need for the EGO inverter. But I could see a scenario in a power outage where I would use the Honda during the day while the EGO inverter charges off the panels...then at night bring in the EGO inverter for quiet dependable CO-free energy.