What do the T and D stand for on the battery pack/charger terminals?

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Answered
I was looking at the terminals of the BA2240 battery pack and was wondering what the T and D stood for on the electrical terminals, between the + and - .  
Photo of James Rogers

James Rogers

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi James, thanks for your question.  These terminals are part of the EGO Power+
diagnostic system and are used to communicate information between the battery
and charger. 

We have attached a picture for reference in case anyone is interested.
Photo of James Rogers

James Rogers

I was hoping to compare the EGO battery pack with other batteries on the market of cordless electric tools.  I was simply wondering, if I connect a voltmeter and/or ammeter across the + and - terminals of the pack, without connecting anything to the T or D terminals, will the battery still function properly?
Photo of James Rogers

James Rogers

Jennifer, do the T and D ports communicate with my string trimmer? or are they only used to communicate with the charger?
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi James, the ports are used to communicate with the charger only.  Thanks for checking!
Photo of Hasse Nasstrom

Hasse Nasstrom

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The T terminal has a 10kohm resistor with negative temp coefficient and will cut off
charger if battery is heeting up. It is connected to the minus terminal.

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
to expand on this, generally speaking, T would be for temp, D would be for data. If you want to do some digging on the data side of things TI makes a very popular battery capacity monitoring chip. 

http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/power-management/battery-fuel-gauge-products.page
Photo of Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Does the battery pack on the mower have to have the T connector because I noticed there are 3 metal connectors sticking out but 4 on the battery.  T, D, +, & - and my battery is fully charged but not getting power to the mower for some reason.  It just stopped working and the T connection looks like it is missing on the mower.  I am not receiving headlights, power indicator lights nothing is working on the mower.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There are only three contacts in the newer tools.
Photo of Byron Wong

Byron Wong

• 60 Points
I hooked up a 52v battery to my blower  using the + and - terminals and it runs for about 10 seconds before it cuts out.  It seems like the battery communicates to the tool.  Is there a way to allow an external battery to run the tool without it cutting out?  I'm trying to build my own backpack battery pack.
Photo of Stu Summer

Stu Summer

• 70 Points
Is it possible to use the Ego chargers to charge 52v batteries other than Ego?  I have several Ego chargers and my other 52v batteries need a charge.  I tried to connect just the + and - to the other batteries and then plugged the charger in.  The charger LEDs lit up for a moment and then the charger seemed to go deeply asleep.  The charger still works fine on the Ego batteries.  Thanks.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ego batteries are 56 volt, not 52.
Photo of Stu Summer

Stu Summer

• 70 Points
Top charge is 58.8v.  Bottom out near 46-48v.  Same cell set up.