What specific size cotter pin is used for the EGO Power+ 8" Edger Attachment EA0800?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
What specific size cotter pin is used for the EGO Power+ 8" Edger Attachment EA0800?
Photo of Geoff Hall

Geoff Hall

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,258 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The owners manual does not specify either than 2 are provided. If you're replacing a broken one, match the size up or even go up in size as long as it fits through the hole, but don't go down a size.
Photo of Geoff Hall

Geoff Hall

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes, the manual does not specify the size. I misplaced the two extra supplied ones and I don't have ready access to a nearby hardware store nor wish the inconvenience of hauling the unit into one to figure it out.

I need to know the proper size so I may place an order online. I could get a multi-size pack but it seems wasteful to spend more for what I don't need.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 54,518 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I know that a replacement blade comes with extra cotter pin. You might likely need a new blade at some point so that could be a way to get the correct size cotter pin. 
However, I have no idea what the correct size pin is.

William E Hanson

Geoff, I know I'm not alone when it comes to stocking lots of small parts, especially if you're a DIYer. I have small parts bins with literally thousands of various parts sorted and labelled. These parts cost little compared to time wasted making a trip to the hardware store, not to mention gas. Anytime I need a part I don't already have, I specifically buy multi-packs so that I would have it next time.
Photo of Gordy Schultz

Gordy Schultz

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cotter pin on edger blade nut needed or not?.

So do you use your cotter pin?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 54,206 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Always a good idea to use the cotter pin. As was mentioned in the thread this came from the cotter pin may be a tightness control. Meaning with the hole in the shaft and the nut aligned the nut can't get any tighter so the blade can spin as designed without too much pressure or friction on the spinning shaft. 

William E Hanson

I always use every part intended for any tool, especially power tools. Why waste time questioning an engineering design regardless how insignificant you may seem it to be. I play many sports and encounter lots of people questioning rules they feel isn't "appropriate". I tell them rules are meant to create a "level playing field" for all participants. Everything we do has rules, otherwise there would be endless chaos. And if you insist on not installing that cotter pin, you're legally liable for endangering others. This isn't just about you and your stubbornness.