What model id for replacement oregon chain?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

When I buy a replacement chain what Oregon chain model do I buy?

S52?
Photo of LM

LM

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi LM, our chain recommendation for replacement is the Power Care Y52 Zip-Pack Chainsaw Chain.  Here's a link to help:  http://thd.co/VCZoSy
(Edited)
Photo of Donald

Donald

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Found it in Canada at Home Depot.  It's Model: CL-14352HDCA; the last 4 letters must indicate HD (Home Depot) CA (Canada).  Couldn't find it on line using Model:
CL-14352PC2.
Photo of LM

LM

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
thanks!
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The Oregon chain listed in the OPERATING MANUAL is the Oregon  90PX052X
Photo of Jimmy Lowery

Jimmy Lowery

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
the  chain for the 16 inch is R56 or 90PX056 EGO gave me 90PX056E I bought the 90PX056 at Home Depot but I called EGO before I installed the chain and he told me he would be afraid to use that number, he wasn't sure what the difference was so I called Oregon and ask Tech Support they told me 90PX056 and 90PX056E are the same chain the last letter just tells how it is packaged like box clam shell or maybe EGO. Home Depot keeps this chain in stock so you don't have to special order AC1600 which is an EGO part number but that number is the same as R56 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Awesome info Jimmy, thanks for posting!
Photo of Eric Andrews

Eric Andrews

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
this is the only set up i will use on the ego saw from now on...........http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Consumer-Sprocket-Nose-Guide-Bars/Oregon-Consumer-Guide-B...................just used it yesterday, same chain i used all last summer, lost track of how many times i sharpened it already, those chains that jimmy lowery just linked you too are just more .043 chains that will dull out quick and need to be sharpened by yourself or a shop within a day or two, dont know how often you guys use your saws, a tree or two? i literally beat the snot outta my saw, and the only way i could still keep it going at a strong pace is powersharpening it myself out in the woods, takes 3 seconds to sharpen and its good to go.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Eric, is that a thicker chain or a sharpener you linked to? The link didn't work for me.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Woah, that sharpener is amazing
Photo of Eric Andrews

Eric Andrews

its a bar and chain .050, the sharpener clips to the bar when its time to sharpen the chain, works like a dream, like i said, i lost track of how many times i sharpened this powersharp set up already, same set up for over a year now, still on the same chain, before i was dulling up my ego chains within a few hours and that was that, i was done, i have 2 ego chains sitting on the shelf in the shed that are toast, i dont feel like hand sharpening them or taking them to get sharpened, i'll use this powersharp setup on my ego for the life of the saw, only difference i see is that the .050 makes a bit of a rougher cut than the .043, no biggie for me, i'm just clearing tree's, the power seems the same to me, i have two batteries and keep this saw working for hours, just make sure you keep the bar oil filled. 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Tell us more :) VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 95,346 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That is a great system and at $44 for all the sharpening time it will save a good deal.  Eric, thanks for the info !
(Edited)
Photo of Eric Andrews

Eric Andrews

being able to keep the chain sharp at all times is what its all about, what good is a powerfull saw with a chain that dulls up in 90 minutes of cutting, i love my ego saw, awesome power and i like the quietness, haven't touched my gas saws since i got this ego, the powersharp hook up works well for me, i've talked to ego about it on the phone, they just yeah yeah'ed me, but i know whats been working for me, the oregon cordless saw's have a built in sharpening stone on them, that's a sweet hookup.......http://oregoncordless.com/product/chain-saw-cs300/
Photo of Old B

Old B

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Eric, Thanks!  Any idea of the difference between this one "Oregon 14" PowerSharp Starter Kit (52 Drive Links) 541652" and the one listed by Greg about 9 months ago in this thread, #541220?  Thanks.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I wanted a video of it ego mounted. Or a picture

Official Response
You can also use the "R52" chain from Oregon.  Here's a link to help: http://bit.ly/1scWSyB

(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Just to bring it to all of your attention.  If you get the Power Care Y52, Make darned sure you get the pack that says Y52 and right underneath it should say .043.  The person at Home Depot wasn't very knowledgeable, but using the manual for the Oregon chain, I cross referenced it to the Y52.  The Y52 without the size designation is the same as the Oregon S52 which is .050. 

So, either Oregon R52 or the Power Care Y52 with the .043 designated on the label.

Thanks

Photo of Old B

Old B

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, thanks for your help.  I am liking my saw a lot but finding a replacement chain is frustrating.  I have 2 comments and a question.

Comments about Home Depot:  1) They should list the replacement chain and other accessories on the page that describes the chain saw.  If they do list it there, I couldn't find it. 2) I ordered your 4 amp battery through them which will be delivered to my house.  At the same time I tried to order the Power Care chain you reference above.  But even though they are already making a delivery to my house with the battery, they won't deliver the chain.  The nearest HD store is 25 miles away so that's a nuisance.

Question: Having given up on HD, I tried Amazon.  What seems to be the right chain is the
Oregon 52 Drive Link Micro-Lite 3/8-Inch Pitch, .043-Inch Gauge, Low Kickback Saw Chain 90SG052G

Is that the right one for your saw?

Thanks.

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Old B, we are actually going to start selling EGO chain and bar & chain combinations via HomeDepot.com by the end of this month. We're sorry it's been such a struggle to get replacement chains.  We checked out that chain on Amazon and can confirm that is the correct chain.  Here's a link to help anyone else interested:  http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-90PX052G-Profile-0-043-Inch-52-Drive/dp/B00HH5NIIM

Official Response
Hello all, our EGO brand replacement bar, chain and combo are now available with the Home Depot.  Below are links for your convenience:

Bar & Chain Combo: http://thd.co/1IBrRex
Chain only: http://thd.co/1aNVI80
Bar only: http://thd.co/1DbN76V
Photo of Donald

Donald

Are the bar, chain, and combo available at Home Depot Canada where the saw is available?  I can't find any parts on homedepot.ca despite the "Buy AT HOMEDEPOT.CA" link at http://egopowerplus.com/products/saw-chain.
(Edited)
Photo of Donald

Donald

The Ego Brand parts don't seem to be available at Home Depot Canada, but I found the Power Care Y52 .043 at HD Canada.  Are the 14 in Power Care bars compatible?
Photo of Eric Andrews

Eric Andrews

hello, will this bar work on the ego? Oregon 144MLEA041 .043" Gauge 3/8" Low Pro Pitch 14" Double Guard Bar

Yes Eric.  That is the correct bar.
Photo of Eric Andrews

Eric Andrews

Thanks Jennifer, I talked with an EGO guy on the phone 3 days ago about EGO coming up with something like this powersharp sharpeneing kit made by OREGON, http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Consumer-Sprocket-Nose-Guide-Bars/Oregon-Consumer-Guide-B... it will enable you to sharpen you're chain in a matter of 3 seconds flat. I think this would be a good addition to the EGO chainsaw line. I believe the EGO bar is made by OREGON, is that correct? EGO should have one made for their 043 bar. I also talked with a lady at OREGON, she said the EGO would not have enough power to sharpen the chain, I told her different, I said hold on there young lady,this EGO chainsaw is like nuclear power super fly TNT. I fell some monster tree's with my EGO this past summer, my gas saws sat on the back burner this past year. love how quiet the EGO is, like going on a black ops stealth mission through the woods.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,892 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

That is very cool... I'm in.

Eric, that's an interesting idea.  We'll be sure to share that with our product team for further review.
Photo of Andy Morris

Andy Morris

• 624 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Jennifer,  any update on this?!!  This would be a great addition like Eric said.

Andy

Hi Andy, no power sharpening kit yet. :(
Photo of Greg K

Greg K

Here's my input & question... the self-sharpening feature of Oregon's CS300 saw is impressive.  It works!  Before they built that into the saw, they offered the separate device (still do) that snaps over the tip of their PowerSharp bars to sharpen their PowerSharp chains in seconds ...it works!   HERE is the thing... the spec on those bars & chains is .050" gauge, vs .043" gauge of EGO bar/chain.  (both are 3/8" low-profile.)  Now the QUESTION:  for about $46 via Amazon, you can buy an Oregon PowerSharp kit that includes BAR, CHAIN, and SHARPENER.  (14" 52-tooth, Part #541220) or (16" 56-tooth, Part #541222) ...Will these .050" gauge bar/chains fit & work on our saws?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,802 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Inquiring minds need to know! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This is something I would love. My chains seem to dull obnoxiously fast
Photo of Eric Andrews

Eric Andrews

yes they work, i used the power sharp .050 on my ego this whole summer, oregon said the ego wouldn't be powerfull enough to spin fast enough to sharpen, but it worked just fine for me, i'm still on the same chain for the last 3 months, what i put my ego saw thru the ego chain would of dulled up in less than three days, only difference I see in the .050 to the ego's .043 is that the .043 makes a nice smooth knife cut thru the tree and the .050 leaves a  little rougher looking cut, but to me that doesn't even matter, I'm still on the same chain all summer, I've literally sharpened my powersharp chain at least 25 times this summer and its still going like brand new after everytime I hit it with the stone, I dont care if your not supposed to use it on an ego saw, powersharp is all I'll ever use from now on for my ego saw, I have three ego chains sitting on the shelf in the shed from last summer that I dont have the time or patience to sharpen by hand, I had a feeling the powersharp would work cause oregon makes a battery operated saw also with a built in stone for sharpening so I figured the ego has more power than the oregon saw so it should work at least as well as the oregon's sharpening system, I love my ego saw, I dont need to wear ear protection which is a major plus for me, spent my entire life launching jets from the rooftops of aircraft carriers so my ears have taken a pretty good beating over the last couple decades, my stihl has been sitting idle for the last two years. If ego comes out with a powersharp .043 tool I'll be first in line to order! http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Consumer-Sprocket-Nose-Guide-Bars/Oregon-Consumer-Guide-B... Here's the oregon saw with the built in sharpening stone.....http://oregoncordless.com/product/chain-saw-cs300/
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,802 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Eric, great info!!!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.