What is the Proper Sharpening Angles for Mower Blades?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I recently took my blades in to get "professionally" sharpened and now it seems that they are not cutting as well as before. I would like to get the blade angles back to the original specifications but I am not able to find that information anywhere. I have both the High Lift blade and the Mulching blade for my 21 inch self propelled EGO+ mower and I would like to know the manufacturers suggested cutting angles for both. 

Thanks in advance for the information!
Photo of Dustin R.

Dustin R.

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Interesting question, but I don't think it's really that critical.  I use a bench grinder and just grind away.  Cut is great when the blades are sharp, period.  I sharpen after every cut.  As long as the sharp edge as at the bottom of the blade it should be ok?

Visually it looks like a 45 degree angle.
Photo of Charles Adkins

Charles Adkins

• 60 Points
Actually, I just set my 'All American Sharpener' to 45 degree angle and now when I run the angle grinder along the blade it is sharpening the cutting edge, so, at least the EGO blade I have is sharpened at a 45 degree angle.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Checking on this with the product team right now. Will post as soon as we have something conclusive. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,258 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I don't know what the angle is, but I've been using this sharpener and it seems match up pretty well to the mower blade's angle. About 10 strokes per each end of the blade does a really nice job.
https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50603-Mower-Blade-Sharpener/dp/B00VTO5N2G
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
For best results, you'll want to go with a 35 degree angle. This applies to all EGO Power+ mower blades. 
Photo of Dustin R.

Dustin R.

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you very much for the information and the quick response!