What is the difference between the split shaft and straight shaft?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Looking for information on the difference between your split shaft or straight shaft option for your trimmer.
Photo of Ryan Lowe

Ryan Lowe

• 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Once assembled, there is no difference. The split shaft version was made to keep the retail box smaller, but the assembly is meant to be permanent. You wouldn't want to try to take it apart to store in the winter or anything.

I'm not even sure that any retailers are actually carrying the non-split version.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
To add to what David said, the split shaft trimmer is Ego's 15-inch trimmer, which is considerably more powerful, has a brushless motor and is variable speed.

The non-split shaft is Ego's 12-inch trimmer, which predates the 15-inch. It doesn't have a brushless motor, is less powerful, and a lot of people have trouble with the bump head feeding properly (which is sometimes corrected with a different brand of string).
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The 15" trimmer also has a non-split version, at least in theory. There was a post and discussion about it last year on this site and Jennifer confirmed that it does exist—but we never found any authorized dealer selling it (at least not online). Perhaps a local Ego retailer that isn't Home Depot might have some on the shelf?

where is the non-coupler version available for sale? the Model No. ST1500? (the non "S" version)
https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I personally own a non-split shaft 15", so I can attest that it very much exists!  ;)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yep. Mine is NOT split shaft. And it is a 15" trimmer
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Where on earth did you guys find one? And Jacob, where were you on that post last year where someone was looking for that version??

I'll be honest, I have no idea what it even looks like because I've never seen one anywhere!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Looks just like the one on the cover of the manual! :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,958 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have a "split shaft" like most people, but I can see one advantage to having a "straight shaft" - the ability to move the "anti-vibration" handle down the shaft further than the "split shaft."  For those who have longer arms and need to extend their handlebar might find this to be a better option. 
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
David and Ken are correct.  There's no real difference other than the size of the box.  The split shaft was only available at the Home Depot and the straight shaft was available at some authorized dealers.  There's no functionality difference in the tools. This was only an option with the 15" string trimmer. 
Photo of Juh Juh Jay

Juh Juh Jay

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Isn't there a difference in the ability to add attachments, though? Like, can't you hook up an edger to the split-shaft, but not the straight?
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,206 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The attachments are only compatible with our Power Head Multi-Tool system.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,012 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Only the power head allows for attachments / changing the tool end.
The trimmers are stand alone single purpose tools
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
One difference is that with the straight shaft, you can position the handle further down the shaft; where as with the split, you can go no lower than the split mechanism. I have the split with a 2.0/2.5 battery, the handle is adjusted as low as it will go.  The balance is towards the rear (neutral would be about 1/2 way between the split and the handle), but in that position, the handles feel too close together.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 64 Points
Is there any long term advantage to having the one piece vs split?  Is the one-piece fewer places for a failure (no connection) or is it fewer places to replace a failed part (top or bottom half)?   I see I can order either online and am trying to figure out if I want the one-piece straight shaft or the standard in-store split shaft.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Tom, both versions have been proven to be equally trouble free.  I have the straight shaft and it works great, no issues, and lots of people report that the split shaft version is super solid once set up.
Photo of Juh Juh Jay

Juh Juh Jay

This appears to be an old thread, but I was wondering the same thing. What is evident to me is that you can detach the split shaft and add on another attachment, such as an edger.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,744 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Only the power head allows for attachments / changing the tool end.
The trimmers are stand alone single purpose tools.  The split shaft makes the package smaller for shipping.  Once you put the string trimmer available it is essentially a straight shaft tool.
Photo of Juh Juh Jay

Juh Juh Jay

Well I'll be corrected. :)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,744 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Welcome to the club :)