What is the difference between ST1502SF and ST1502F?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
What is the difference between ST1502SF and ST1502F?
Photo of Eugene McGrath

Eugene McGrath

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The ST1502F has a straight shaft, whereas the ST1502SF has a split shaft. They are functionally the same tool, as different shafts are only meaningful in terms of shipping and packaging.
Photo of Fred Flintstone

Fred Flintstone

• 70 Points
Incorrect. The different shafts are also meaningful in terms of whether the owner will have the capability of utilizing a split shaft accessory, such as an edger, or not. It's surprising to see a company rep miss this as availability and compatibility of accessories are a significant factor for many consumers buying into an ecosystem of lawn care products. That's kinda the point, no?
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,290 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Fred, not quite. EGO's nomenclature for split shaft is only a shipping packaging feature. The shaft is able to be folded via a hinge to fit into a shorter box for shipping. Once the customer receives it and assembles the split shaft to make it a full length trimmer, the split shaft is never touched again. 
EGO's nomenclature for what you are describing is multi-head.
Photo of Fred Flintstone

Fred Flintstone

• 70 Points
Oregon Champion Mike:

Thank you for the correction, I was entirely in error. I missed the key design differential (motor placement) between two starkly different product designs. In my defense, I had only referenced the expansive Home Depot descriptions available to potential online customers which leave much to the imagination re: WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH AM I BUYING.

Knowing that this particular system does not support the addition of an edger is key knowledge, thank you again. If EGO has any UX people on staff, take note: product hierarchy is exceedingly difficult to decode across this range of releases, and impedes consumer buy-in. Just my $.02 ;)