What is the best thing to do with the lawn mower battery in the winter?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Putting the lawn mower away until spring. Question: recommended storage of battery: charged or uncharged?

I recently purchased an EGO lawn mower. What is the best thing to do with the battery in the winter? Should I bring it inside or leave it out in the garage where it can regularly get below freezing, even into the 20s or teens.
Photo of Mark Bailey

Mark Bailey

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of TK

TK

• 4,196 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Bring the battery, and the charger inside. Leave the charger plugged in, with battery. The charger will put the battery to sleep for the winter.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That's not what I've come to understand. " leaving your battery out of the charger for 30 days will put your battery circuit into storage mode and self discharge to 30%, when ready to use, plug into charger and fully charge.
(Edited)
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,196 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I checked the battery manual page 13. It does state that the battery will self discharge to 30% without the aid of the charger. I had read that the charger was needed for this, it is not.
Thanks
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mark, in addition to all of the great responses you have here, we also addressed battery and winter storage solutions here:  https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/putting-the-lawn-mower-away-until-spring-question-recommended-storage-of-battery-charged-or-uncharged & herehttps://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/winter-storage
Photo of Mark Bailey

Mark Bailey

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thank you everyone.  The temperature information was what I was really after, and the links here cleared things up for me.  I appreciate all the help.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.