What is current state of repair service by Home Depot?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

Home Depot's poor service reputation on this forum is making me think twice about purchasing EGO products.  I WAS going to buy a chainsaw and a string trimmer, but after reading numerous stories of repairs taking 8 wk and longer, I'm having second thoughts.  Has Home Depot's service improved any?  What about Grainger's?  They are listed as an authorized dealer also.
Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Alice, I can understand your concerns, especially after spending some time reading through some of the posts here.

You must also consider that Ego will usually step in and do the right thing for their customers when these Home Depot horror stories come to light. They really do have an excellent Customer Service model. Pair that with the overall quality of their product and the tiny likelihood that you'll actually have an issue, and I'd say there's little to hold you back.

Remember, far more people are vocal about problems than successes, and these forums are a sounding board for those who are having issues. If you look at the reviews on Home Depot's website you'll see an amazing trend; that Ego's products are almost universally rated at well over 4 stars. That's pretty much unheard of.
Photo of Jack

Jack

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So ego will do the right thing after a customer hasn't had his product for months Why don't you fix the problem now.
Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

You make an excellent point, Blue Angel.  I knew the EGO reviews were excellent. I'm glad to hear EGO customer service is also good.  I also discovered the saws are much more expensive at Grainger's than at Home Depot.
Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

Incidentally, what is a "Champion" and how do you become a "Champion?"
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Champions are nominated after spending time fostering constructive discussions and helping others with issues. Jennifer Vandewater nominates Champions after observing their contributions over time.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Constructive? How did I get nominated? Lol
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Constructing your string trimmer powered tiller maybe? :-)
Hi @Blue Angel.   I realize you are big proponent but stating they have excellent customer service when they still cannot fix the warranty and repair issues through Home depot after years is really not accurate.    Also 4 stars is not unheard of.   I owned a Honda Lawn mower.   EVERY Honda Lawn mower on the Home Depot website is ranked more than 4 stars.     Nothing wrong with being passionate about products you love.   However you really need to put some caveats around your statements.    It would be more honest to say.  Yes there are some issues with warranty service and returns and they are working to fix those.  It is however a good product and has a good rating by most.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You're right. The baseline repair process taking 6 weeks is way too long.

I will maintain, however, that Ego's Customer Service is excellent overall. By this I mean, if you have any issue with a tool, battery or charger that doesn't require you to drop it off at HD they happily have it in the mail ASAP and at your door within a few days.

The other thing I was getting at above was, if the repair process through HD fails or takes longer than the (already long) estimate, they will usually step in and resolve the issue right away.

I've heard feedback directly from Ego that many of the "outrageously long" service times claimed on this board are in fact not true, that some customers exaggerate the times. When they get involved they find that 8 weeks was really four, etc. This isn't true all the time, but it has happened.

Regardless, a 6 week turnaround time is still way too long to go without a tool. No argument there. This is something that needs addressing and Ego is very aware of this.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,838 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
How do you know that "feedback" directly from Ego is truthful regarding customer complaints about overly long repair times?   That's really easy for us to corrorobrate on a case by case basis by asking these "exaggerating customers" to upload pictures of their paperwork from HD for both drop off and pick up dates.   THEN there is no argument about who is telling the truth.  I've had so many companies (the list is far too long to enumerate here) lie to me about a myriad of things and I really don't know what makes you so sure that Ego is so much different than all the other companies that try to protect their reputation with, shall we say, misinformation.   Let's not be too naive here, please.

And I'm not accusing anyone of anything nefarious.  I'm just saying let's get some proof of repair times by getting the visual evidence via photos of pertinent paperwork.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

There was one particular case where the poster claimed their mower was away for several weeks beyond the estimate, and they were very vocal about it here. I was told once Ego looked into it, the wait time was greatly exaggerated. I was also told it wasn't the first time this had happened.

Is this always the case? No, I'm sure it's not. There are enough people posting their experiences here to rule that out.

Has it actually happened? Well, based on the nature of those posts and the fact the poster never followed up after they were contacted, I'd say it looks rather convincing.

Has it happened more than once? I was told it has, and I have no reason to believe I'm being lied to.

Once again, I'm not defending the long repair times, I'm just saying that some of the more extreme cases reported here were, according to what I was told, exaggerated. Take it for what it's worth. ;-)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I can't argue with what you said.  I've zero info either way on what's what with user complaints re long repair times.  Just saying it would be great if someone could verify extremely lengthy repair times by uploading drop off/pick up dates via photos of the paperwork.
Photo of jared Richmond

jared Richmond

• 562 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I was quoted 2 - 7 weeks.

Me: " ... Ok, hold on, I just want to be clear, that you just quoted me a low end target of 2 weeks with a high-end target of 7 weeks?"

Jorge: "thats correct."

Me: "thats a long to an insanely long repair estimate!"

Jorge: "Might be, but thats what it is, ok?"
. . .

EGO isnt making any concessions. They have a take it or leave it position.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

That seems unlike Jorge. He has been praised on here a lot.......

Not at all saying your not telling the truth.

Easy fix is buy another on a home Depot credit card, or any card. Send yours in, return the new one when your repair is completed.

I see no other way of forcing a better repair network at this point.

Pardon my following frustration EGO

There is no reason! No reason EGO didn't make these tools have pieces that swap in and out. It's called connectors!

Sick of hearing people are having this repair issue.

Hey ego. It's electric. Make modules that plug in.

Motors, controllers, ect that come out with a few screws.
Send part to customer.
Customer swaps out.
Customer returns core in prepaid return box
Customer is happy.
Home Depot is out if the loop.
Problem solved

SMH

The trimmer heads are fully capable of doing this already
The 21" mower might be as the motor and battery connector are all one unit, but I haven't taken one of these apart.

The snow blower has this capability also. It is easy to access parts and are plug connected.

The 20" mower not so much. Not even close.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Well said, Jacob, well said!  I'd have no problem swapping out a part were it made to be "user replaceable".   That's a far better way of dealing with failures then for me to SCHLEPP the mower back to the nearest HD rental departments, having them keep it for MONTHS, and then me having to go BACK to HD again some months later to pick it up, hoping it's fixed properly.   ON TOP OF ALL THAT, I'd also have to purchase an interim mower which I'd have to return for refund, once I got  my original mower back.     DOESN'T THAT SOUND LIKE A LOAD OF CRAP, for us consumers to have to put up with??
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

This approach makes a lot of sense. Since the modules themselves can't be repaired, just make them user swappable. For each module have an instruction page on the Ego website. Done.

If the user is uncomfortable with performing the repair THEN they can take it to HD, who then bill Ego a fee to cover the tech's time.

A #2 Phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers are about the only tools needed. Not exactly rocket surgery. :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think the only real problem with that scenario is accurately diagnosing what the problem is. Some are obvious, some aren't.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I get it. But the cost savings would be so high it wouldn't matter really. Cuz the cores get recertified. And fixed. And ready for the next ego nut.
Shipping charges are more than a motor costs ego. Across the board probably.
Photo of jared Richmond

jared Richmond

• 562 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Im not speaking ill of Jorge, guy was just matter of fact about the turdery of the repair time frame. It's not him, it's EGO. EGO isn't granting folks like Jorge, any tools to ameliorate the EXTREME time delay on repair work. 'Reduce Costs, and increase revenue'

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.