what is a champion?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I get what a member and an employee is, so what is a champion?

I looked in the info bit about points and can't seem to see anything that decribes the difference between each catigory.  I know the emblem after the persons points changes depending on how many they have.  Is this something that is bestowed upon you by the powers (gods) of EGO.

Just sort of curious.  My mind never seems to stop some days.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We're just people who have been on this forum for a while who have experience with a variety of Ego's products and a track record of helping answer other users' questions in a constructive way (and being civil while doing it).

I've been posting here for about a year and a half, ever since I bought the 20-inch lawn mower.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Guess that rules me out of that.  They don't have a title on here for Crotchety Old Fart.
(Edited)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
But they have a picture for it ....

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Matt, if you have to ask then you are not ready for the badge .... lol
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Does the T-Shirt comes in Black, White or Blue?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Blue obviously! :-P
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Ha ...
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Glad I decided against being the first to respond saying something like "the heck if I know!"

All kidding aside, the "official" short answer from GetSatisfaction is:

A longer and excessively detailed answer can be found on the GetSatisfaction customer support site:
https://education.getsatisfaction.com...

More specific to this Ego community, the points help get you noticed as an active participant, but the process is more qualitative than quantitative. Ego generally looks for people who have been around here, regularly active, and consistently helpful for a while.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
And don't forget, we have to look damn sexy when using our Ego equipment.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Besides me. Im terrible to look at.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

Is that for the 'champion' video series on YouTube showing how to use the stuff.  I think that my mug would scare off too many potential customers.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,628 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Speak for yourself Ken.  Unless you like looking at a 50 year old with Richard Simmons shorts on.   (Yeah, I go there).  I'm a 80's guy.  Back then shorts didn't go down past the knees making men look like they are wearing modified Capri's.

What happened to Men's fashion in the 90's, influenced by Rap culture is terrible.  My wife likes the shorter stuff.

80's

Today's Fashion.  Yuck.

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

So would this be "too long" for your taste SCDC?

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

How can I put this politely.   I can't.   Yeah, they are ugly.  Not only that, but just not comfortable for me.  I don't want fabric brushing against my legs as I hike or do walking.  Free and clear baby, free and clear.

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I hear ya ... I am also an 80's guy with shorts above my knees as well.  But the wife keep trying to get me clothes that is current with the fashion - like "skinny jeans" which I refuse to wear.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Oh my.  Skinny jeans.  Yeah, that would go over well with me.  Ha!  If I could ever fit into skinny jeans, I would never hear the end of it from my brother and brother-in-law. 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Woah woah woah. Men do not discuss fashion.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

I am all for the Free and clear baby, free and clear.  My wife might not like it but the scott in me likes to come out.

Nothing like the feel of air to let your body breath like it was supposed to.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I would wear that... That fresh air would be really nice in the summer.  Free an clear!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

My neighbors would revolt if I dress like that ...
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I've lived at my house for about 20 years.  They are so used to seeing me in "80's" short shorts that they are immune.  It's like knowing better than to look at the sun.  It'll blind you.  Shock value is gone.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

In my humble opinion, I would look all kinds of wrong if I listened to every piece of fashion advice my wife sent my way.

With great respect for the view I seem to share with Jacob,
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

But, but.... when you make your wife happy, you get to buy more stuff.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

SCDC, just don't overdo it...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

To keep my wife happy, roughly 120% of my disposable income would be spent at the mall...
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

WOW ... If only I look that good, but my Beer Belly gets in the way
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

#Blue Angel.  I wish I could like your statement 10x over.  I think for me I'd have to reverse the two front numbers.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

#David  - its called Molson muscle.  Think of all the arm curls you are doing to lift that bottle to your mouth.  

My wife said she wanted me to have a 6pack abs.  I said I'd do better than that.  Got a 2-4.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Blue, I just.......  really... rofl.....  That kind of creeps me out.  Sorta like this.

Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

AWW my eyes.. i think they have been burnt out by the pinkness
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ugh... did we really need to take it that far?!? Some things just can't be unseen.

That was very un-Champion like of you... we need a demerit point system! :-D
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

I was just thankful that there were more comments below the photo so I could scroll it up off the top of the screen so as not to affect my too badly.

You are right #Blue   a good -100 points for the misuse of an optical nightmare.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,638 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Speaking of "what is a champion" to me?  A well rounded group of people who have different views on a product, which produces a good interpretation of how well a product will perform for it's given intention.  We all have different types of grass and live in different geographical areas.  We all have different challenges. 

It's a great group of guys.  Everyone would prove wise to read what these guys have to say.  It will greatly improve your buying decision.

Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

my quest right now is to see how long it takes for me to get my total lifetime points up to the same level as #Blue Angel has had gotten in the 30 days.   Either I don't post enough or Blue is prolific and loved with everything he has ever said. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I kept pace with Blue once... for about a month.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Lol!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I gave up long ago. Blue gets quadruple points for every letter he types, while the rest of us get one point for every word. That's why Blue doesn't have to type a novel and still beat the rest of us ...
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I don't know how blue does it. I can't keep up with even one active thread.
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

So blue is a fallen angel of sorts.  got some insider help to get ahead in this life.  Or perhaps I am watching too much Lucifer on TV
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Points are by post, not length. Blue is just more efficient with words.

I, on the other hand, am not. I tend to ramble and over explain things, kind of like how I think. I also lose a lot of my posts because I get distracted by something else and forget to hit submit. Not sure if that's due to ADD or the fact I have infant and toddler boys—maybe a little of both.

And now if you'll excuse me, our 14 pound 2mo baby is demanding more food...
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Better than me David, I forget my thought half way through the post and just leave the page... What are we talking about?
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

#David - Been there done that, lost too much sleep because of it.  That reminds me, it's my daughters birthday tomorrow.  Better get a card or something...

#SCDC - feel for you.  I tend to be multi task impaired.  Give me a single thing to do and I am fine.  Give me a list and forget it.  Now, I am sure there was something that I was supposed to do that was important.. hum, nope, it's gone
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Quadruple? My contract says 10x... gonna have to get that straightened out!!! :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Ha ... I was right!
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Loving all of these replies, guys!  Matt, for your information, below is a list of our official expectations of a champion.  As most of our champions have mentioned already on this thread, we choose champions based on their contributions and quality of those contributions (not just on points).

• Build Peer to Peer Interaction and Support 

• Foster Conversation 

• Promote communication in the community through personalparticipation in topics 

• Lend a Hand 

• Share wisdom and experience with members seeking guidance andsupport 

• Lead by Example 

• Be Active 

• Maintain a presence in the community 

• Keep the Peace 

• Step in to guide an argument back towards a productiveconversation, or comfort aggrieved users 

• Uphold our Community Guidelines 

• Be an example and steer interaction in the community toward apositive and productive outcome 

• Be a Brand Advocate 

• Promote the brand both within the community and without

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Surprised Jennifer hasn't slapped the Champion whip on me for being a slacker this summer.  Life finds a way to throw curve balls, and turn ones priorities another direction.  Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things again. 

Honestly, not just saying it to be a Champion, Jennifer and the others who are designated Champions have supplied so much information and helped so many people.  Believe me that there is no compensation for what we do.  It's just our nature to love technology and love people. 

There are a lot of "Champions" who aren't labelled Champions on this board.  Great community.  One of the few forums I really enjoy.

(Edited)