What Battery Size Best Balances Each Ego Handheld Tool During Use?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I'm considering buying into the Ego Power+ platform for a complete roster of handheld power equipment intended for commercial use, and have spent many hours poring over model comparisons, specs, owner's manuals, and video demonstrations in an effort to understand the finer points of operation for each tool, as well as the differences between the various models of each tool type.

One of the questions that I haven't yet been able to answer to my satisfaction is what battery size provides the best tool balance and in-hand feel for optimum ergonomics during extended use?

I visited my local Home Depot in an effort to discover this for myself, but they did not have many of the models I'm considering, which I've listed below:

• ST1520 — String Trimmer, Power Load (non-hinged shaft)
  • ST1500F — String Trimmer, Rapid Reload (non-hinged shaft)
  • ME0800 — Power Head + Edger Attachment
  • MST1501 — Power Head + Trimmer Attachment (Rapid
  • MHT2001 — Power Head + Articulating Hedge Trimmer Attachment
  • MPS1001 — Power Head + Power Pruner Attachment
  • CS1600 — Chainsaw, 16"
  • CS1800 — Chainsaw, 18"
  • HT2410 — Hedge Trimmer, Handheld
  • LB5800 — Blower, Handheld (580 CFM)
Per the owner's manuals, battery weights are as follows:

• ADB1000 Battery Backpack Adapter — 1.32 lb.
  • BA1120 Battery, 2.0 Ah — 2.76 lb.
  • BA1400T Battery, 2.5 Ah — 2.77 lb.
  • BA2800T Battery, 5.0 Ah — 4.87 lb.
  • BA4200T Battery, 7.5 Ah — 6.31 lb.
I would welcome any and all feedback regarding the ideal battery size which best balances each of the aforementioned tools. And while I think I've nailed down a fairly accurate estimate of the run time I can expect out of each battery size when paired with a given tool, information on the size battery you prefer to pair with each tool (regardless of balance) is welcome as well.
Photo of schwartzy18510

schwartzy18510

• 704 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • Curious

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 10,722 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
if you are using the backpack, it's moot. There will be no batt weight on the tool, so your only issue will be run time. Bigger batt= longer run, unless I'm missing something? In all the cases, if you are handholding the whole set, it really depends on how burly you are or how much arm strength you can build up. I'm small but I run our blower with the 5, and have used a 7 but it was a haul. We just got our first 2 with the polesaw and now it seems like a toy, lol.
(Edited)
Photo of schwartzy18510

schwartzy18510

While I may end up going the backpack route, I am undecided on that point as of yet. The answers I receive to this thread may move that needle one way or the other.

I'm less concerned about overall tool weight than I am tool balance. For example, if the String Trimmers tend to be nose-heavy with a 2.5 Ah battery installed or rear-heavy with a 5.0 Ah, that info will be invaluable to me as I attempt to make decisions regarding individual battery sizes for my application.

Basically, I don't want to have to be constantly fighting to balance a string trimmer or handheld blower simply because I paired the wrong size battery with either. Given battery price points, guessing wrong on the ideal battery pairing for ideal tool balance would be an expensive misstep!
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 7,636 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
"How big a boy are you?"

My wife a lot of time will run the stronger hinged shaft 15" with 7.5 because she likes the run time on bigger a counts. She's 5'8" and fit.

Ideal balance goes out the window as fitness increases....plus growing conditions dictate what battery you need to get the job done.

Handheld blower 5ah or above

Chainsaw 5ah or above

Power head 2.5ah hedge trimmer no extension but up to 7.5 with extensions. 5ah chainsaw head. Edger 2.5 easy cut...5ah harder cut. String trimmer head 5ah or above. Tiller head 5ah.

Hesge trimmer 2.5ah.

15" hinged string trimmer, (stronger than straight shaft with very little weight penalty), take your pick on battery....really try them all. I use 5ah most.

During heavy spring growth I use the backpack link, power head trimmer and 7.5. All trimmer are guard off with extra stick out.

Jeremy
Photo of schwartzy18510

schwartzy18510

"How big a boy are you?"
5'9", 170 lb. I'm not nearly as worried about my ability to handle overall tool weight as much as I am interested in trying to nail down what battery size provides the best overall tool balance in average conditions.

In my experience, a well-balanced string trimmer can weigh significantly more than a poorly-balanced unit while actually feeling lighter, which brings me to my interest in this relatively obscure topic of tool balance.

I definitely see your point regarding battery size in many cases being dictated by property size and growing conditions more so than tool balance. Still, I'd like to size my initial battery roster in such a way that I can operate my handhelds with a minimum of effort spent working to balance an unbalanced tool.

Appreciate the feedback regarding the battery pairings you typically use most. Pairing the 5.0 Ah with the blower and chainsaws seemed ideal at first blush given the run time (blower) and power requirements (chainsaws). The lighter 2.5 Ah with the hedge trimmers makes sense as well.

Sounds like the 5.0 Ah is most versatile for some of the fringe applications / tools like the chainsaw, tiller, power pruner, etc. But since I'll far and away be putting the most hours of any tool on the string trimmer, blower, and power head with edger, that's where most of my interest lies. It sounds like the 5.0 Ah is still a winner with those tools as well.

One point of clarification — you referenced several times that the hinged shaft string trimmer is stronger than the solid-shafted model. Were you referring to stronger in terms of shaft rigidity or overall tool power output?

Photo of schwartzy18510

schwartzy18510

@bigfootcountry — Still curious about your comments above regarding the hinged shaft string trimmer being stronger than the solid-shafted model. Stronger in terms of shaft rigidity or power output?
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

Shaft rigidity. My sample size is small...only one...but my solid shaft model bent right about where the hinge would be located. I have not had this happen with any of the hinge shaft models that I own or have owned.

Jeremy
Photo of schwartzy18510

schwartzy18510

Well I'll be... my initial take was that the solid shafted models would be stronger than the split shafts, but after more thought I could see how the opposite could actually be true. Thanks for clarifying!

Have you noticed any more vibration in the split-shaft models than your solid shaft unit? I did a head-to-head test of a solid aluminum-shafted Rapid Reload head model against a split-shaft carbon-fiber model with the Power Load head recently, and found significantly more vibration in the carbon-fiber split-shaft.

Unsure at this point if it stemmed from the different shaft material or the split-shaft design, since both were variables.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 75,248 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I think if you are buying into the program, your best bet is to buy kits. That way you get tool, charger, and battery at a really good deal. And you'll have lots of batteries that way. Backpack for the batteries might be good for some of the tools. 
I'm not sure I'd use it while using the stand alone hedge trimmer, for example. Might impact maneuverability while using it. I could see, potentially, hitting that cord with the hedge trimmer blades. Yikes! I hit an extension cord with a plug in hedge trimmer years ago. Cord was not happy about it. LOL 
I think the 2.5 ah batteries make a really nice match with the lighter handheld tools if you are going to use the batteries right on the tool. Standalone hedge trimmer, standalone string trimmer, for example. 
But, I'm not a professional landscaper so my needs are very minimal in comparison and the backpack might work ok for most things.
But, buy the kits I say. Then you'll at least have a load of batteries to choose from even if you use the backpack for most of the battery carrying.

Photo of schwartzy18510

schwartzy18510

If and when I do take the plunge into the platform, I'll more than likely be being at least SOME kits. I just don't want to splurge on a bunch of extra batteries which may turn out to be non-ideal for my typical use given balance of each tool with the batteries installed.

Is it fair to assume that the batteries which are kitted with each tool are the battery that best balances that tool when in operation? If so, that would be a helpful reference point.
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

Not always on the kits being the best balance/combo. Price comes into play as much as anything.

The most common kit w/15" string trimmer does indeed feel great in the hand. The 2.5ah with the guard on is real nice and you may find it is all you need.

I run guard off and find it taxes the 2.5 to quickly.

The blower performs real nice with the 5ah as is.

The edger performs best with 5ah and above. The weight of the tool is partially carried on the ground. The powerhead, if I remember correctly, pushes more power with more battery.

A guy could get by with a combo of 2.5 and 5's. The 7.5 is heavy and doesn't balance real well on any hand held tools but ......the extra run time and additional power keeps me putting it on machines as I see fit.

This year, although I have plenty of batteries, I will add another hedge trimmer kit, 15" sting trimmer kit, 18" chainsaw kit, 580 blower kit and will probably pick up a 7.5 or two unless the new 10ah shows up. This will change as new tools are announced.

Why ..well I like to pass along my older...still working good units to friends and family and spread the Ego name around.

Jeremy
(Edited)