Wet Day...No Problem for Ego Tools! Commercial Torture...Flawless!

• Praise
  • Updated 5 months ago
I belong to another....much more serious forum...about all things lawn and landscape. I post very little but do find the questions, equipment, topics interesting and informative.

When a topic starts on electric tools I do sometimes post about my experiences running Ego equipment. Usually crickets......For some reason it it doesn't say Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna it must be crap. I guess Ego continues to be our little secret.

Today it rained. Not a steady downpour but pretty regular. Here in the Pacific Northwest this is normal.....we have a very mild climate with somewhere around 340 growing days maybe a little less but a big number. We usually get around 40 to 70 inches of rain in a given year but given our proximity to the ocean we have many, many wet mornings regardless of rain. I cannot imagine a more difficult region in the county to prove out a piece of battery outdoor equipment.

Ego is unmatched, regardless of price or pro/consumer level in power, versatility, weather resistance and battery platform. I am what you would call an equipment junkie....I live this stuff day in and day out. Can Ego improve their products.....yes...definitely...but their doing pretty good.

I left this morning with 5 2.5 ah, 3 5 ah and one 7.5 ah battery. I used the 15" trimmer, power head edger, 1 6" chainsaw and 5 75 blower. I started at 9am and called it quits at 4:30pm. I had battery power to spare.

Jeremy
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 5,722 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 16,102 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Jeremy, thanks for your testimony where it's appreciated and welcomed amongst fellow EGOmaniacs.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great report!  Keep on keepin' on, Jeremy!  Brandwashing is tough to deal with sometimes... just be thankful you're not one of the sheep!  :-)
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

There is definitely brandwashing going on....but there is a giant example of a brand being able to carve out a large market share when new technology emerges within an existing industry....think Prius.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 92,222 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good stuff Jeremy.  Always good to hear from someone using the equipment 20x as much (or more) as the average homeowner
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
As a counterpoint - don't try to use the mowers on wet grass. The grass sticks to the deck and starts to layer up until it reaches down far enough so that the blade is scrubbing along the bottom of a 2" thick grass mat.

This bogs everything up, and you have to scrape the deck clean of the grass frequently with a stick or board.

Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,938 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
As a counterpoint - don't try to use the mowers on wet grass. The grass sticks to the deck and starts to layer up until it reaches down far enough so that the blade is scrubbing along the bottom of a 2" thick grass mat.

This bogs everything up, and you have to scrape the deck clean of the grass frequently with a stick or board.

I've tried pre-treating with WD-40, but no love. I've given up mowing in the morning (dew) or within 24 hours of a rain.

Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

Unfortunately wet or dry I mow so deck build up happens regardless of deck type gas or electric. Big power and sharp blades help but the Ego plastic deck lacks a true side discharge which is a disadvantage in the wet. Plus forget about mulching in the wet...real deck clogger.

If your yard is smaller you can get a jump on things by blowing your yard off before you mow.
Photo of James Brady

James Brady

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It sound like you are battery power tool pro.   Do you make a living full or part time from your work?
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

Full time.....pretty much all electric handhelds 99% of the time....gas powered mowers for now.
Photo of James Brady

James Brady

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Full time lawn hand tool electric is good news.  I did look for electric riding lawn mowers two years ago.  There was only one on the internet and no local retail outlets near by.