Weight: 15" String Trimmer with Rapid Reload Head and Straight Shaft ST1502F

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

What is the weight of the 15 inch string trimmer using the lightest weight battery ECO battery available?  (I thought I posted this yesterday but I don't see it in the list of questions.)
Photo of EGO fan

EGO fan

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Hal

Hal

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Here,
This info is directly from the product manuals, which are on line. Get up off your chair.

15 in trimmer-Weight (Without battery pack)
6.7 lb. (3.04Kg)

Battery 56v 2.0 amp-BA1120: 2.77 lb. (1.26kg)

I trust you can add the two together on your own.........:)
Photo of Ed

Ed

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Rude! Enough to send me to Husqvarna.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,474 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Ed. Note that this thread is a year old and Hal hasn't posted much, if anything, since then. Although this is listed as an Official Response, pretty much everyone here is not an EGO employee and are just users posting our experiences and trying to help. Hoping Hal's information is taken as helpful and you can look past the rest of it. EGO tools are definitely worth considering.
(Edited)
Photo of EGO fan

EGO fan

Silly me, thinking it would be in the specs.
Photo of Hal

Hal

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
chuckle...
Photo of Jim Krut

Jim Krut

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So, it seems the ST1501-S  with battery is about 9 lbs., if my math is correct. This is with the 56v  2.5 amp battery. And, I understand the run time is about 45 minutes for average work. Does this model also come with the 56v 5 amp battery, and if so, what would be the weight and average run time? The ST1501-S is available at my local Home Depot, but I'm assuming the 1502 or a model with the heavier-duty battery must be ordered online for delivery? Thanks for your help!
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,328 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Jim be careful with your model numbers.  The ST1501-S is the older style bump head with the green button on the bottom.  You must disassemble the head and manually wind the line.  There are several different models with the new rapid reload head.   Here is the string trimmer line up at the Ego website.  The various configurations are available on each trimmers page.

https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-string-trimmers 
Photo of Jim Krut

Jim Krut

Thanks so much for the quick reply, and the link. It gave me all the answers I needed about the battery weights. And, it also answers for me the issue of the trimmer models - and I'm glad I learned about the newer trimmer string head. It sounds much easier and faster than the older bump style. I still have to figure the estimated run times for each battery, with the same load. But, your quick response impresses the heck out of me. That's excellent customer service, and I'm certainly on board! Thanks again, and I'm going shopping for Ego!
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Jim, I am not quite sure if you are replying to my post or not, but I am just an old retired slob, not attached to Ego at all.  

Battery life is very dependent on conditions.  I got 40 minutes out of my 2.5 aH battery and it still had life in it, but the young buck that I have do my cliffs out front depletes the 5.0 aH battery in about 45 or 50 minutes but he lays into it full throttle and never stops.  I have only had the trimmer for about 3 weeks so I don't have a lot of experience with it.  But so far I love it and so does the young buck, and he does landscaping for a living. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Krut

Jim Krut

Thanks, Egocentric. That's great! I loved your comment, but maybe Ego should put you on the payroll for your good service to customers! The world benefits so much from the wisdom of retirees like ourselves!
 I think 40-50 minutes should take care of our yard. We have a fenced-in garden and blueberry "fort" to keep out the critters, so that means trimming both the inside and outside of the fences. I'll probably aim for the 2.5 aH battery, as my wife will do the whacking when I get my knee replaced next month. I know, I'm just too good to her! Just need to make sure  the trimmer is not too heavy for her to handle comfortably.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

What I found with the heavier battery, while it does add a little weight, it also seems to counterbalance the unit a little better.  You can also buy a shoulder strap.   I should mention that when we are using the 5 aH battery, the trimmer is being used as a mower on very steep grades, not simply a line trimmer doing border trim work. 

The best of luck with the trimmer and even better luck to you in that knee replacement.  I should do the same thing but I lack the intestinal fortitude.
Photo of Jim Krut

Jim Krut

Thanks. I'd been a little concerned about the balance, but more so about the weight (compared with the two trimmers I have now neither of which are ECO models.) Your insights have been helpful to me in my research. If it's not raining tomorrow, I'm going shopping! Have a great weekend.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Good luck and let us know what you get and how you like it.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Jim, while you're in the store, see if a HD employee can fetch the 5Ah battery from one of the display mowers, then you can put both batteries in the trimmer and feel the difference for yourself.

Make sure they have a #2 Phillips screw driver handy as well so you can adjust the handle to your preference.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

That may be an Allen wrench now.  I don't remember of needing any tool except the Allen wrench that Ego included in the box when I assembled mine.  
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Another double that I can't delete.   I wonder what causes that. 
Photo of Jim Krut

Jim Krut

Good suggestion. Thanks for the insight!
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@Egocentric, cannot delete because Blue liked the 2nd one, I think if he'd hit the first one, you should be still able to edit or delete.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

No, I caught it as it happened, before Blue liked it.  It still wouldn't let me delete.  Same thing the other day. Amber fixed it.  Maybe the next time I will try to delete the first one rather than the duplicate.  

(a)Typical Engineer

If you have two comments, you probably cannot delete the first one because your second comment would block that (so in a way, you're blocking yourself!) =)

(a)Typical Engineer

The front handle is a #2 philips screwdriver, the 4mm hex key is for attaching the guard.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Just looked at mine.  The 4 bolts that loosen the handle collar on the shaft, that would allow you to reposition the handle are allen heads.  There are two phillips that hold the round part of the handle to the base of the handle but that was already assembled.  I needed no tools except the allen wrench when I assembled my trimmer.  I did it out on the back porch and would have had to fetch tools.   I have the trimmer with hinged shaft.  The allen was used on the hinge bolts as well. 
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

Ego is making changes... =)  I just checked and:
15" gen 1 trimmer, #2 philips screws for the handle
PH1400, 4mm hex head bolts for the handle
@Egocentric, is your 15" a RR head, or newer bump head?
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Mine is the ST1500SF:

https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-string-trimmers/products/15-string-trimmer-with-rapid-rel...

15 inch with the rapid reload head, hinged shaft.  I bought it as a kit in the store with the 2.5 aH battery and standard charger   ST1502 SF.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Electric-Cordless-String-Trimmer-with-Rapid...

I thought the rapid reload is the newest head design, or does RR mean something else.  Mine does not have the green button on the bottom of the head.  

(a)Typical Engineer

Yes, I've been abbreviating rapid reload as "RR".

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We deleted your duplicates, Egocentric :-)
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Thanks,  not sure why that happens.  
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, I've been having the same problem with duplicates.
Photo of Amber F.

Not sure about the reason behind the duplicates, but we’re here all the time so it’s no problem to remove them. :-)
Photo of Piggy

Piggy

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
EGO, an optional shoulder strap could help those who need the help:)
Although I must say, it's very light even with a 2ah or 2.5ah battery. It's not the weight that's going to test your muscles. It's the shear power that's going to get your arms shaking. After 40 minutes of the trimmer, my arms could sometimes be shaking more than the trimmer itself.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Piggy, it is available on line at Home Depot and Amazon for purchase.  Free would have been nice, but the price is not too bad ... :-)

https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-AP1500-Lithium-Ion-Brushless/dp/B01HPMQEXM/ref=sr_1_8?s=lawn-garden...

Photo of Tom Jacques

Tom Jacques

• 844 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I love it but wife says it's too heavy, my smallest battery is a 5.0. Gonna buy the strap and see if that helps. Up until know she did the trimming with our old B&D corded trimmer that by by guess weighs about 3 or 4 pounds less. It's not entirely the weight, but the over length of the EGO. Not a complaint but an observation.
Photo of Amber F.

Please let us know whether or not the strap helps her.
Photo of EGO fan

EGO fan

I played around with one at Home Depot and realized it was too heavy for me.  I will say that the weight is well-balanced, but just too much weight for me to be holding for an extended period. And the shaft is too long for my short stature. As much as I love the Ego company and the mower, I ended up buying the Ryobi One+ Hybrid String Trimmer.

(a)Typical Engineer

I had the same concerns for my elderly parents, specifically that the extra weight and length would make it unweidly for them.  They gave it a try but it was too much, so I bought a Black and Decker which runs on a 20v battery, and the length is easily adjustable.  Of course it's not as powerful as the Ego, but for some users slightly smaller length and less weight are a better fit.

Ego should consider a telescopic design, as well as a lighter model.  Actually they still have the 13" model in Europe, so that just leaves a telescopic length for future projects.  I have a pretty steep hill side, and having the ability to reduce the length by 6" overall would be fantabulous for those steep hikes.
Photo of Art Zasadny

Art Zasadny

• 1,436 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The optional $20 EGO strap really helps carry that weight comfortably!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.