Washing my mower

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Hi I just purchased my EGO lawnmower first electric for me I was wondering about washing the mower can I hose the whole mower are there certain areas I have to be careful not to get wet?
Photo of richie

richie

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,986 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
From the manual
Do not wash the mower with a hose; avoid getting water in the motor and electrical connections.

I use a leaf blower to clean mine.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Also, here is a similar conversation that might be of help: https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/how_do_i_clean_the_ego_power_mower
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,898 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Amber, that's a good thread but still doesn't really answer how best to clean the mower. I was a little surprised just how much grass coated the under-deck and I couldn't quite scrape it off.  Are there any cleaners that EGO recommends? May not be a bad idea for EGO to also introduce its own set of cleaners too.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried using a firm brush to chip off any residue? We've seen excellent results with that. Also, EGO does not recommend a specific cleaner at this stage. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I just did a top-down, bottom-up cleaning of my three-year-old mower.

For the underside of the deck I used a plastic putty knife/scraper for the big stuff, then a plastic brush, then a scrub pad that was dampened. I didn't have to scrub too hard to get down to bare plastic.

As to cleaners, I tried an aerosol cleaner made by Honda that was recommended by somebody here, and I really liked it. It can be used on plastic, aluminum, steel, glass, just about anything. It's petroleum based, so it's a little sticky, but not too bad. And it has the top side of my mower looking like it just came out of the box.

This is the stuff i used. You can find it locally at Honda motorcycle dealerships: https://www.amazon.com/HONDA-08732-SCP00x3-Spray-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B01LY6KI73/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&...
(Edited)
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,898 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Ken, your input is greatly appreciated!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

And by "sticky," I meant to type "stinky"!
Photo of Terry Aubin

Terry Aubin

• 60 Points
Would it be a good idea to coat the underside with dry spray silicone?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I believe a lot of people are doing that
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I cleaned my mower thoroughly over the winter and coated the bottom with car wax. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works. People also use dry graphite spray.

I really only have a problem with grass sticking when it's fairly wet in the spring.