Warranty Weaseling

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
I have no receipt and my mower is malfunctioning.  (The lights come on and the propulsion works, but the blades will not engage.  No, it's not me.  I've been using the mower successfully for 2 1/2 years.  I know how to start it).  The mower is 2 1/2 years old.  Home Depot only keeps records of receipts for the last 2 years.  I was told by Ego customer service that if I couldn't get a receipt "other options might be available" for them to honor my warranty.  They refused to discuss what these supposed "other options" were with me until after I futilely attempted and failed to get a receipt.  Now, I can't get a human being to answer the phone.  Every time I try to call to verify that, yes, I have indeed officially wasted my time going to the Home Depot to ask them to print a receipt they no longer have in their records, I am immediately transferred to a recording prompting me to leave a message.  I have.  They don't call me back.

Anybody have any suggestions for how to get in contact with an actual human from support?

Are these mysterious "other options" in lieu of receipt real or was that just some support rep desperately trying to get me off the phone with noncommittal vagueness?    
Photo of lesley

lesley

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • cheated out of $600

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,286 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Call first thing in the morning if you can to minimize any wait times with Ego CS..

Ego cs does a great job so I doubt they are giving you the run around.  Perhaps a friendlier attitude will help.  :)

I know their phone/computer system is currently down but they are working to get it back up and running ASAP
(Edited)
Photo of lesley

lesley

I assure you I started off quite friendly and reasonable.  That started fraying as soon as they said they had mysterious "other options" but they wouldn't discuss them with me until I jumped through a sufficient number of futile hoops.  What friendliness remained officially expired after waiting on hold for something like 40 minutes today only to be transferred to a voicemail system even though I did not select an option to be transferred to a voicemail system.

If their system is actually down, they need to tell people that.  What they are actually claiming is the go-to "we are experiencing an unusually large call volume" line that literally every call center in the history of call centers uses indiscriminately at all times of the day and night and regardless of actual call volume.  It's right up there with "our menu options have recently changed."    
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,286 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
"If their system is actually down, they need to tell people that.'

I just told you that.  Not sure what more you want. 

Kind of Hard to have a down phone system provide up to date information.

Take a deep breathe - have a beer or a bowl of ice cream.
Call them first thing in the morning.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I can confirm what szwoopp said, that the CS system is having some technical difficulties outside of Ego itself, and it's being worked on.

That said, you should be happy that CS is trying to work with you on accommodating your warranty rather than throwing a tantrum.

Companies require a receipt/proof of purchase for warranties. Pretty much every company I've ever dealt with. I can't think of a single one that would repair or replace a $600 item with no proof of purchase.

Keep your receipts for big purchases, people!
Photo of lesley

lesley

Latest update:  I finally got a human.  Last joker I talked to on Friday completely failed to log a support case so there is 0 record that I ever called about a problem.  I'm currently calling from work.  Because previous guy left 0 record that I called, new person can't help me because I have to be physically next to the mower before they can proceed with anything.  Nevermind that I was physically next to the mower when I called on Friday and answered all the guys questions sufficiently for him to say "Yes, you will indeed need to have this thing sent in and serviced."

I have to wait and call back and go through the whole inane "Are you extra, extra sure you aren't just an idiot who doesn't know how to start it?" process again from scratch before I can move forward.

I did at least get the support rep to explicitly acknowledge they would honor the warranty without the receipt before I did that, lest I jump through yet more hoops for no reason at all.

So, yes, sure, I'm not out $600.  But this is actually the second major malfunction I've had.  I had a dead battery out of the box brand new that had to be replaced as well.

If this is the end of the issues, great.  If it's not, I'm definitely done with this company.  I'll go back to using my PoS $100 Greenworks mower that was a dog and a half to use, but also worked like a dog for years and still operates with no malfunctions.  It definitely gave me more than it's $100 worth anyway.   
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's unfortunate you've decided to refer to someone trying their level best to help you a "joker."

That speaks volumes more about you than it does Ego.
Photo of lesley

lesley

Right, "joker" is a debilitating insult.  You are correct.  It's among the cruelest things one human can call another.  And it's utterly egregious and in no way an accurate description for a support rep whose job is to open & document support tickets all day who has a 10 minute long conversation with somebody about a specific problem and never logs any of it.  It's especially heinous considering I explicitly didn't name drop him or otherwise do anything to get him in trouble.

I really have better things to do than get involved in arguments about tone policing with people on a lawn mower forum so this will be my last post.

I also have better things to do than spend three days (tomorrow makes four when I actually take the darn thing to get serviced finally) dealing with reps, call centers, and customer service desks because my expensive, supposedly headache free lawn mower that works like a dream and has an awesome warranty isn't working and the warranty has a bunch of caveats, which explains why my tone doesn't meet your exacting standards in the first place.

Being irritated by a litany of rep mistakes & vagueness, malfunctioning products, and malfunctioning phone systems stretched over days is not unreasonable and so long as the criticism remains justified, coherent, truthful, focused, and measured enough not to dehumanize, there is 0 reason to hide it behind a veneer of politeness other than personal taste.

As it appears I'm at least now on something like a path to a real solution, I'll leave off continuing with this topic.

I do thank people for letting me know that the phone system was broken, which was way, way more specific and useful information than official support had been providing.     

im glad (and surprised) you are getting a new mower...
i would say they have unbelievable good service to be able to respond despite technical difficulties and replace your item without a receipt...