Should I Recycle My Warranty Replacements?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I received the warranty replacement battery for my snow blower.  Do I just toss the defective one to any recycling centers or have to return it?
Photo of CL

CL

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Was size is it? Where are you located?
Photo of Adrian Ramirez

Adrian Ramirez

• 3,038 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
If you live near me, I'll take it off your hands. I'm in Colorado.

It's probably not worth it for Ego to take it back, I bet the hazardous shipping costs as much as it does for them to manufacture a new one.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hey CL, I would pay the shipping cost to 13669 if it's not terribly expensive. It can be labeled "snow blower parts" :-)

Which battery is it?
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
In another thread, a customer reported that Ego CS told him/her to drop at Home Depot for recycling.
If you can get it into the hands of someone who can take it apart and use it, that will be good for "group learning".  Just be sure to tell the Shipping Company (USPS, FedEx, UPS) that it is Lithium Ion batteries, and that it absolutely cannot be shipped by Air, and that it has to be labeled appropriately.

You, as the shipper, are responsible for ensuring that the package is labeled correctly.  With the recent negative attention with cell phones catching on fire and bring planes down, you definitely do not want to play the ignorant card.  Any doubts, recycle it at the Home Depot.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,338 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
There is a phone number on the battery itself that, when called, provides a list of the nearest recycling centers.