Warranty Issue with eBay Purchase

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

Ok here's my story: I purchased a backpack blower on ebay that was listed as new.  I got it last month and used it twice, no issues.   Today I went to use it and the motor clicks but doesn't turn. So, I figured no problem, I'll call Ego Support and see what can be figured out.   I called and the rep that answered asked for my details and then asked if I had registered the product which I did and she found the product in my profile.  She then asked where I got it from and as soon as I mentioned eBay she says "Oh, sorry, if you purchased it from eBay, it's not an authorized dealer so we can't help you." She proceeded to tell me maybe Home Depot can help.  

I've purchase a 21" SP mower, extra 7.5 battery and speed charger and the backpack blower kit and this is lousy service in my opinion. 

I was at least expecting some advice on what the issue maybe or further assistance but to shun me because I purchased through eBay is BS in my book.  
Photo of SShah

SShah

• 70 Points
  • Frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Purchasing through EBay itself doesn't mean no warranty, it's the seller that determines the warranty. I would contact the seller and ask them if they're an Authorized Dealer, if they are you should be covered.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,084 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree. Double-check the seller you bought it from to see whether they are an authorized dealer or not.

This is why I'm cautious buying on eBay. I recently ordered a pricey new drone and made a point of double-checking that I was buying from an authorized seller.

If the seller isn't authorized, manufacturers (Ego and otherwise) have no idea what the source of the item really is, whether it was really new, whether it was previously returned and resold when it shouldn't have been, and so forth.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Buyer beware when using eBay.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 1,968 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Just my two cents having deal with a LOT of contracts... This type of thing is always open to interpretation from various parties...

Actually the policy is very clear, EGO can't deny your claim.  Suggest you save the page now.
https://egopowerplus.com/pages/warranty-policy

They have a link to authorized re-sellers on the same page as the warranty, however have nothing in the actually legal information that either references it or states you must use one.  Hence, you can buy it from joe blow off the street and legally they have to honor the warranty unless it states something different on the box.  If the box has nothing then it defaults to the public information, which is this site, which implies you can buy it from anywhere.
(Edited)
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Eric you have made some good points. Given how fast the equipment went bad lets hope that it had not been "opened up or repaired" by anybody that is not authorized because the Warranty language is quite specific about that.
Photo of Eric

Eric

Agreed.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 64,788 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
From the warranty information included in the box with the backpack blower:
(Edited)
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,812 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Please note that we do not promote purchasing anywhere on the secondary market. As a reference, I am including screenshots from our warranty policy and registration, which both show purchases must be made at an authorized retailer.

Photo of Eric

Eric

Amber, obviously up to the company, but that info should be on the actual page titled "Warranty Policy" and linked off of the main site.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,812 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Eric

Eric

Amber, I know there are a lot of threads here, but reading goes a long way.  I already posted the warranty page link, so you posting said page for me to go read obviously is illogical.  If you read the post and look at the images you posted up, the second image (and the information it contains about needing to buy from an official EGO retailer), it is NOT listed on the actual warranty policy page.  If that is the actual policy you want to ATTEMPT to enforce, wherever that screenshot was taken from, it needs to be on the actual warranty page.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 64,788 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That actual policy is included with the product and is in the owner's manual.

As you wrote above, "If the box has nothing ... " Well, the box does have something, and it's quite clear.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.