warranty

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Solved
Need to put in large bold letters Warranty void if purchased from unauthorized dealer even if new and in factory box.  Looks like Home Depot and Ace Hardware are about the only "authorized dealers".  Be careful purchasing on Ebay and Amazon.
Photo of Mike Connor

Mike Connor

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
That's pretty much the case with any product from any manufacturer. Not sure any of them mention authorized dealer in large bold letters. 
However, it is clearly mentioned in EGO's warranty policy.
Photo of Mike Connor

Mike Connor

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Bought a number of articles on Ebay that came with factory warranty.  Have to argue about the word "clearly" mentioned.  I think the vendors assume some responsibility also for not mentioning it in their product specs as it would affect the purchase from them.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Mike Connor, I said clearly mentioned in EGO's warranty policy. Here is the first bullet from EGO's site (my underline). Always best to go to the manufacturer to find out warranty coverage. After that, it's up to the buyer to determine if someone is an authorized reseller. 
  1. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser from an authorized EGO retailer and may not be transferred. Authorized EGO retailers are identified online at http://local.egopowerplus.com/store-locator.
Photo of Tom H

Tom H

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The funny thing about these ebay sellers it most of them appear to be purchasing from Home Depot and using some sort of coupons or credit card points to make a profit.  I have bought 1-2 things like this and they clearly come directly from EGO.  I would imagine EGO knows very well where the product came from (Home Depot and shipped by them directly to the customer) but you don't get the Home Depot receipt so you might be screwed if you need to make a warranty claim. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
If you buy on Amazon directly from Amazon itself, you're OK. Amazon is an authorized dealer. It's when you buy from random third-party sellers that you run into problems.

And I think eBay sellers do bear some responsibility for the accuracy of their listing.