New 650 LB 6500 Jan 25 2020

• Praise
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • (Edited)
Just returned my 530 blower and exchanged it for the new 650 - LB6500 which comes with 5.0 amp battery and standard charger. Besides more power, this unit comes with some very nice upgrades : Starting with the blower tube, have added inner groves for a tighter fit - once its connected, you really have to tug to remove it. Tapered and flat nozzles are included with the package. The nozzles add some length to the main blower tube, allows more reach with less bending over to access the blowing surface. The most critical feature for me is air speed trigger which is now variable speed so the operator has full control of how much air volume is being applied. Speed/Lock On Dial :  Can turn the blower completely off in counter clock wise direction, in clock wise direction - the dial allows you to regulate blowing speeds from 225 - 500 CFM , the motor will run without having to hold down the air speed trigger. Won't have to describe to you at this stage when you engage Turbo boost. The 5.0 amp battery is the upgraded one as well - has the fuel cells that provides  5 bars to indicate at all times the level of battery power and level of charge. The battery is much heavier - I was surprised how well the blower is balanced, felt good and was not over whelming. I am over the top with this product as its the most powerful and most advance unit Ego has produced. The only negative is the blower base - its smaller in size and not as sturdy as the 530, does not sit completely flush when placed on a flat surface, have added a green accent color to the base and makes it look nicer.  Thanks for reading.     
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,846 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agree - I have the 580 and it has the same controls and they are great.
Thanks for the review of the 650
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Thanks for the info szwoopp - Didn't realize the 580 had the same controls. Just tried it out on the driveway and the sidewalks - its an awesome machine. I love the variable speed trigger and used turbo as well. Used up 2 bars.  
Photo of Howard Halstead

Howard Halstead

• 356 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I also have the 580 blower, it does a lot more driveways. I have several 50+ foot tall maple trees and this blower was the first one that could handle it. Prior, I had a noisy, gas powered leaf vacuum by Troybilt. The time it takes to charge a 5Ah battery is about the same as the runtime, so 2 batteries always near continuous leaf blowing!
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Like - Sounds like your are getting good run times with your 580 and the 5.0 amp battery.    
(Edited)
Photo of LogHome

LogHome

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just picked up the 650 yesterday at Home Deopt and WOW does this blower BLOW !
Only have the DeWalt DCBL720 and man is this an upgrade. Kite Army sold me.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Like - Agree , One of my work colleagues have the Stihl back pack blower which puts out 700 CFM and he is astonished that the Ego has 650 in a much more compact package - not to mention about having to mix gas. Have used mine 3 times and this blower is incredible - average of using up 2 bars on all applications so the battery reserve is no concern. Enjoy your blower.   
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 9,120 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Warbird 2007 - you said you returned your 530 for the 650. Was your 530 within 90 day return date?
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Hi Michael, Yes it was within the 90 days.  I really liked the unit but wanted to go the 5.0 amp battery for feature attachments. I do have a 2.0 amp as back up but I have not had to use it with the 530 or the 650.  
Photo of Pamela

Pamela

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I'm interested in purchasing a blower and considering either the 2.5 amp 530 or the 5 amp 680.  I want something that will not be too heavy yet effective.  I plan on using it 2 x monthly on a relatively small residential yard.  Will the 2.5 amp give me enough power or do I need to get the more expensive model?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Hi Pam

I think you will be happy with any of the Ego blowers as they do a great job.
I had the 530(passed on to son in law) and now the 580.  The nice thing about the 580 is the controls (which I believe are the same as the 650).  There is a cruise control type dial as well as a variable speed trigger.

If not looking for a big workhorse, I think the biggest item that would make my decision at this point is price and battery/kit make up.

Remember if you buy at HD you have 90 days to change your mind so if you think the lighter battery is important(and I agree that the 5.0 can get a bit heavy) then give it a try and see if it meets your needs.  If not upgrade to the 5.0

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Pamela, I have the 575 blower (predecessor, discontinued, to the 580) and it came with a 2.5 ah battery. I use it on a relatively small city lot once or twice a week during leaf season and it has plenty of power and run time for my needs. I rarely if never use it in boost or turbo mode. Just some lower powered setting and it seems to move leaves, twigs, rocks, you name it. 
All this is to say I think you'd do well with the 580 since your needs sound similar to mine.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Like -  Hi  Pamela, I started with the 530 which came with the 2.5 amp battery and standard charger. Its reasonable in price and a great starter kit. I really liked that model, the only reason I went with the 650 was to get the 5.0 amp battery for future considerations in the multi tool attachments. If you have a smaller yard to care for - the 530 will more than fulfill your needs as I have a large yard with triple car driveway plus being on a corner with city sidewalks to attend. I used the 530 five times this past January and the 2.5 amp totally surprised as it never ran out of power. There is also the weight to consider when you are using the smaller battery. Having said that - if you want to expand for the future - the 650 is the blower to get as it has upgraded features and the battery pack is the new generation with fuel cells that will always provide the amount of battery life that is remaining. The 650 is on a special price and its been varying from $298.00 down to $348.00 and is less in price than the 580 blower which has the same upgraded features. The most important feature for me is having the variable speed trigger. Hope this helps your decision, thanks for asking.  
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Sorry - Correction on the pricing : Varying from from $398.00 to $348.00.
Photo of Pamela

Pamela

Thanks so much to both of you, Warbird and Oregon Mike, for taking the time to reply.
I'm leaning towards the smaller 530 2.5 amp thinking it can reasonably do the job and is more lightweight.  Does it not have the variable speed trigger and if not, what is the benefit (I'm new this this as you have probably surmised)?
BTW, the 650 at Home Depot retails at $299 and the 530 retails at $199.  Not sure where the $348 price is from. ?
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Pamela - The price ranges are in Canadian dollars. - Was listed at $348.00 and then went up to $398.00. I went to Home Depot Canada and asked for the lesser price and they honored it. Like I said before - you will not go wrong with the 530 blower - its a great package and will more than fulfill your needs. Here's the difference : the 650 has lock on speed control dial which means you can turn the dial and set the speeds you want from 220 cfm right up to 500 cfm without having to engage the power trigger. This dial will also turn the machine off. The 650 will reach 500 and take it to the next level in turbo boast and go right up the max cfm at 650. The variable speed trigger will allow you to go from zero blowing speed right up to the max depending on how much you squeeze the trigger so that you are always in control of the air volume.  The 530 will definitely be lighter for you to use.  If you are not planning to expand into the multi attachment line and just be dependent on the blower function - you are good to go with the 530 at the lesser price point.  Hope this will answer your questions.   
(Edited)
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 384 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Wardbird 2007 . You said in your comment that..."The variable speed trigger will allow you to go from zero blowing speed right up to the max depending on how much you squeeze the trigger so that you are always in control of the air volume." Does that mean that the trigger takes it all the way to 650 cfm or do you still need to use the turbo button? Thanks
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Like - Sorry should have worded that differently - takes it to 500 cfm, you engage turbo to go the full 650.
Photo of Bob

Bob

Thanks for answering that for me. I am planning on upgrading my 530 when my local HD gets the 650 in.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Like - Bob : The 530 is a great blower and reasonable in price, the 650 takes you to another level with upgraded controls and most importantly - the 5.0 amp fuel cell battery.   
Photo of Pamela

Pamela

It does!  Thanks again for your thoughtful response.  I hadn't realized that you live in Canada, hence the price difference.  Much appreciated advice!
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Like  - I am very happy to have assisted you in your choice of which blower to purchase, please stayed tuned with this community as there a lot of people who are always willing to reach out and help as there is a lot of knowledge within. Let us know when you have made your purchase, thank you.   
Photo of Pamela

Pamela

You have been wonderful.  Thank you!

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 22,376 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have the 530.  Would the 650 blow  me away  (see what I did there?) with it's increased power or would it seem to be just a wee bit more powerful?

(Edited)
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Like - Hi Dave  Not only is the 650 a lot more powerful, it comes with tapered & flat nozzles which translates to a $60.00 savings. Where your present blower maxes out at 530 cfm, the 650 reaches that speed and with turbo boast - goes right up the 650 cfm. It has better controls and the upgraded fuel cell 5.0 amp battery which by itself is $359.00 - Canadian dollars. You will not be dis-appointed.      
Photo of Bob

Bob

Dave, I have the the 530 and have been thinking of upgrading to the 650 and giving the 530 to one of my kids for their yard. I will be anxious to hear the response from Wardbird and others before I make the move.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

My local store, less than a 1/2 mile away has five of them.  I'm anxious to get one.  LOL!  Would love to hear what others say, first.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

If it is a HD you have 90 days to check it out and return it if it is not what you want.
Go buy it and tell us the comparison test results.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I think I will.  I should know within the next 90 minutes.  :)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I got it (of course it was up high so had to wait for someone to get a ladder).
Tried it several times.  It is not worth the "upgrade".  My 530 on Turbo seems like it pushes back against me with more force (Newton's Law) than the 650 on Turbo and looking at how they each blow similar things off of concrete or grass, I'm returning it. 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

(The cost is not the issue--it just seems like a silly "upgrade" and I'd then have to do the Craigslist "thing" like I have done with my previous generations of EGO tools--it's a pain to deal with Craiglist buyers.  not that they aren't nice but I have to schedule a meeting)

Photo of Bob

Bob

Dave, I have the the 530 and have been thinking of upgrading to the 650 and giving the 530 to one of my kids for their yard. I will be anxious to hear the response from Wardbird and others before I make the move.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Save your time and money.  I think it's marketing rather than a substantial boost in cleaning ability.  Mine is going back today.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Like - Sorry to hear that Dave, I used the 530 quite a few times in different conditions and found the 650 is much better. The push back you are talking about may be due to the lighter battery that comes with the 530. Not finding any issue's with the 650.    
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Not the battery.  I installed the same battery.  Also, Newtons Law isn't concerned with weight.  It's all about the force exerted by the air movement creating an opposite amount of force against what holds the blower--namely me.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I also tried both the flat and round ends to see if the flat one blew things better.  It didn't.  I swear that the push-back against my body is less with the new unit but I didn't do anything scientific like attach each blower to a spring scale.  That would be the definitive way to measure.  Otherwise, one would have to do a volume and speed measurement of the air coming from each unit.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob

Bob

Dave, sorry to hear that.  I was excited to spend more money on my ego arsenal, JK of course. But maybe I should put that money towards the new lawn mower, the lm2135sp instead of the 650.
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

• 446 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Any word on a new backpack blower from Ego yet? It's time for a update with cruise control.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I have not heard anything, but Ego generally does not announce new tools until they go on sale.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Like - Not familiar with the back pack blower -  agree cruise control on the units would make applications easier to use. 580 and 650 blowers have the cruise, nice feature.    
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

Would like to have cruise on the power head.