WA 21" Mower Review

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
The guys at Workshop Addict posted a nice follow up review on the 21" Ego Self Propelled mower:

https://youtu.be/7nuQ4sWhcyM

The seem to like it!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

• 956 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Nice but nothing we didn't know. Now if they could just take one apart and show us how to repair it; that would be worth while.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
This should be added to the thread about mulching producing a trail of grass on one side behind the mower. I couldn't see anything significant being left behind the mower. Anybody else?
Photo of Alec Mansfield

Alec Mansfield

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just purchased a 20" EGO push mower. I have been using the mulching attachment and I have had absolutely no problems with it.  I have to say, this was a "floor model" and came out of the box with no other attachments.  EGO shipped me all the missing attachments within a day or two after I contacted them. Great Mower and service.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Glad they took care of you. That always feels so good!
just don't have a problem with the motor they will say you hit something and its not covered under warranty  
(Edited)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

I added this link (the WorkshopAddict review follow-up on mulching) to the thread for Steve to see in case it might help him. Maybe he has used his on different grass or something?

Thanks, Blue for posting the link above!
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

• 1,014 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm new to the EGO family. I recently purchased the 21" self-propelled mower with 7.5 AH battery with rapid charger (kit).  Just used the mower to cut our .22 acre lawn and was really impressed with its performance!  The mower did a great job on medium length grass (St. Augustine grass - S. Florida).  The mower ran for about 1 hour without stopping.  Very impressed!  When finished, I plugged the battery into the charger where it showed somewhere between 15% and 25% charge remaining. It took about 40 mins to recharge (including fan cool down) and it's now ready to go next week. I've used many different model lawn mowers over the past 60 years and can't believe how great this battery powered lawn mower works. Way to go EGO!!
There were two things I noticed with this mower... I had to overlap the wheels a bit more than I'm used to to get an even cut with no missed grass. My previous mower was a Snapper-Pro 21". I like to catch my grass to help with weed control. EGO's blade design doesn't lend itself in vacuuming up the grass really well. Instead of needing two bags to hold all my grass clippings I only needed one bag. So I just ordered the HL (high lift?) blade to see if that might help. I'm pretty sure that the added bevel to HL blade will decrease the battery run time due to the added resistance.  We'll see.
Kudos to EGO for doing such a great job in the design of this mower.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,378 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Glad you are enjoying your mower Rick.

You are on track with ordering the HL blade. It will provide a lot mor lift which is great for bagging. You are also correct that it uses more power and will thus decrease your run time.

Be sure to give us an update when you get the new blade.

Happy mowing.
hope you don't over load the motor because the warranty sucks
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,290 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
EGO has one of the most generous warranties in the business at 5 years for the tool and 3 years for battery/charger. 
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

Update... Mowed my grass again today but with the HL blade installed. The mower did a little better job in catching the grass but still only 1 bag for .22 acres. Even with the HL blade installed the mower ran for an hour to cut the front and back.  Took about 50 mins to recharge.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks for the update, Rick.

If you haven’t seen it yet, check out the Lawn Care Nut two part YouTube review of your mower. He has some interesting tips with regard to getting the best cut out of it.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Curious what height you are mowing at Rick. 

Also that you have the bag solidly hooked onto the mower.
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

Cut height set at 3. Yes, bag secured correctly.

To be honest, my previous mower was a Snapper-Pro (21”) with the Hi-Vac blade. It caught almost everything. If I put Snapper’s “Thatcherizer” (see: https://bit.ly/2KdyM9c) attachment on the front of the mower it would pick up a lot of any leaves lying on the ground too.
(Edited)
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

Today was my third time mowing with the EGO 21" (self-propelled). It's working really well. I think installing the HL blade was a good move as it seems to do a better job of cutting and catching clippings.
There's one thing I noticed... the clutch of the self-propelled function doesn't disengage immediately when I release the green handle – especially if I'm going up an incline.  I've learned to release the handle slightly before I want to turn or back up.  Releasing a little early will probably put less stress on the clutch mechanism.  Here are a couple of pics of our mowed grass.  Lot size is .22 acre with house taking up part of the property.

To be honest, if I had found this forum before purchasing the EGO mower I'm not sure I would have gone through with the purchase.  There sure seems to be a lot of problems and complaints.  Hmm?
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Forums tend to attract far more people who are having issues than those who are happy with their purchases. For a better review cross section see the reviews on Home Depot’s site.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Hey Rick
Glad the HL blade is working for you.
You are correct regarding the SP clutch.  It is a safety mechanism to prevent the mower from rolling back down hill.  You are also spot on regarding how to operate the SP - that is to release the SP slightly before reaching your destination.
Good looking yard - enjoy!
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

Forums tend to attract far more people who are having issues than those who are happy with their purchases. For a better review cross section see the reviews on Home Depot’s site.
You make a good point Blue Angel. The reviews on HD's site are really good.  I should have remembered this fact since I used to be a moderator for McAfee Anti-virus many years ago (Version 7 I think back then).  The only posts to the forum were from people having issues.