Vibration

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I just purchased the new carbon fiber st1520s string trimmer, as I'd read great things about Ego. My top three choices were the new carbon fiber power head, the rapid reload trimmer and Milwaukee's m18 fuel trimmer. I went with the carbon fiber Ego. However, the vibration with it is higher than I expected. Not quite as bad as on my old gas trimmer, but close. Is the vibration sightly lower on the older model, is it possible I just have an unbalanced tool, do I need to adjust my expectations, or should I order the Milwaukee?
Photo of Lima Bravo

Lima Bravo

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 160,732 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Try re-winding the string in case that’s the cause. If that doesn’t work, I’d exchange it. The tool shouldn’t vibrate excessively.

I own Makita 18v power tools and love them. I can’t imagine paying for their overpriced outdoor power equipment that runs on an inferior (to Ego) battery system. I don’t see Milwaukee any differently... you’re paying more and getting less.

18v batteries work great for smaller tools, not so much for OPE where power demand is much higher.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 61,548 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Try taking the string out completely, then run it. Does it vibrate?

If not reinstall the string and check again. Then report back please.

The earliest model had literally 0 vibration at all. The new larger head models seem to be less smooth. Probably because the heads are much larger. In my opinion, ego got it perfect on the first 15" trimmer.
Photo of Maurisa McColm

Maurisa McColm

• 60 Points
I bought the EGO trimmer purely for the low vibration. I'm really disappointed that after using it for one 30 minute cycle, my left lower arm is completely numb. Feeling has not been restored after 24 hours and I am now reluctant to use it again. I bought the carbon fibre shaft model and used it with the 4Ah battery that came with the mower. What could the problem be?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 49,844 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Have you followed the tips above? My carbon fiber trimmer has no vibration at all. Try running it with no string and see if there's a difference. The only thing I can think of is the string is wound incorrectly.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,058 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I had a ST1502SF and replaced it with the new carbon fiber. I really haven't noticed higher vibration but I can audibly hear the head spinning at the user end of the shaft. Maybe stiffer shaft transmitting vibration more easily?

Mike
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 160,732 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That’s definitely possible.