Very hard to remove the trimmer head so that the broken line can be replaced. Can the tabs be lubricated?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I need to make it easier to press in the two tabs on the rapid trimmer head so I can remove it and remove the broken trimmer line.  Can I grease the tabs?
Photo of Lewis Green

Lewis Green

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
That is just going to collect dirt over time. I would put a paper clip in each side to hold the clamp lip pressed in. So push on one side, insert paper clip, push otherside, insert paper clip. Pull on head. You want to use something as skinny as possible.

The orientation needs to be so the paper clip creates a "ramp" or taper for the retaining lips to slide down.
Photo of Lewis Green

Lewis Green

My problem is that I am not strong enough to push the tabs in.  I used a large plyer handle the last time.  That worked ok, but I then need to carry a tool every time that I edge. I also have trouble pushing the parts back together after I get the broken line out.  This is not designed for old people with physical problems!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Perhapse we can figure out a tool to do this. I think i have an idea.

https://www.weldersupply.com/P/486/St...

I think that a welders clamp like this will help you press those tabs in and ease the removal.

Pushing back together, possibly a trigger clamp

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

But more importantly, you shouldn't be breaking the line off... i think we should address that issue first.

Perhapse forum members, chime in and suggest a better trimmer line.

What trimmer line are you using currently?

This trimmer head isnt supposed to be needed to be opened up very often, if at all..
(Edited)
Photo of Lewis Green

Lewis Green

The vice-grip clamp idea works perfectly!
Photo of Lewis Green

Lewis Green

It is .095 braided nylon that came with the trimmer.  A friend said that smooth line works better.   I think that the reason line breaks is that I use the trimmer to edge my lawn along my sidewalk.  I turn it upside down. Or at 90 degrees.  It doesn't break when I just trim.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Lewis, what I've also noticed when I use the trimmer on hard abrasive surfaces is the line wears down quickly, and it might seem like it is breaking off, but what might be happening is the string is stretching when you speed up, and when you release the trigger, the line relaxes and contracts, and actually slips back into the head.  I make sure that when I'm around hard surfaces, that I advanced the line often to prevent that problem.  When it goes back in usually only one side does it.

Are you sure it's breaking, e.g. you're finding broken pieces?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have found the line that comes with the trimmer to be brittle, too. I tried Echo line, and it was better. But this season I've been using Husqvarna's Titanium Force line and it seems more durable and less prone to breaking.

It's about $14 for a 280-foot spool at Lowe's.

Of course you'll still have to open the trimmer hear when it comes time to reload string, but hopefully that will be less frequent if the string isn't constantly breaking.
Photo of Lewis Green

Lewis Green

I bought some EGO smooth line and I will try it.  It should last a long time since there is about 250 ft on it.
Photo of Lewis Green

Lewis Green

I'm not sure if that is case or not.  The result, however, is that I must remove the spool so I can reinstall the line.  
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Recommend advancing the line more frequently.  Also, Egocentric posted a good article about soaking your line in water to address the brittleness problem.  I don't do that but I live in a humid environment, so drier conditions might be affected by this.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Isnt this the rapid reload head? If so,you dont take it apart to add line to it. You put line in the hole and turn the head, it reels it in. There is a video on youtube showing how to do it.

https://youtu.be/Ye8t8MBZg2Q
Photo of Lewis Green

Lewis Green

My case is that there is no line  from one side and line from the other.  I assume that I need to remove the head and remove the rest of the line and then reinstall it so it comes out of both sides.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

You are correct. I would get better line. Or get the ego edger? Just a suggestion. I know its alot to spend money on.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.