Very disappointed with the new Nexus inverter.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Like many others, I just recently received the Nexus inverter, and the first thing I could think to use it for was to power a small fan at a tailgating event.

The fan I chose is a tiny desktop fan I got from Costco, with a current rating of 0.6 amps on the plug. No sweat I thought. Well when I plugged the fan into the Nexus on a 2.5 Ah battery, it could only make the thing spin up to its lowest speed, with the fan producing an electric whine along with it. 

I threw on a fully charge 7.5 Ah battery, and got the same results. I then plugged the fan into a kill-a-watt and measured only a maximum of about 22 watts coming from the inverter. I threw the fan on household 120V power, and the kill-a-watt measured ~22 watts at the lowest speed, and only 42 watts at the highest speed. 

I called Ego support for guidance to see if maybe my inverter was a dud, or if other people were having similar experiences, and that went nowhere. They wanted me to plug a phone charger into the 120V outlet and once I verified for them that it was producing power (10.6 watts!!!) they stated the inverter was operating as designed, and that the Nexus is not intended to power large electronic devices like a small desktop fan.........

So needless to say I'm extremely bummed out about this thing. Ego is advertising this thing as being able to power a TV for up to 15 hours, but apparently it's not able to handle tiny fans. It sounds like this device is way too flaky about what it can power, regardless of the actual demand of the device, so I have zero confidence in its ability to safely power the anything it should be able to handle. At $75/$100, it should be able to function as something more than just a phone/tablet charger, since that need is already fulfilled by existing products on the market.
Photo of TwinTurboJosh

TwinTurboJosh

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,424 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This has been verified.  I just tried it with my office fan which is a low power draw fan.  When turned on using the inverter, my fan just makes a bad humming noise and barely spins.   I'm not exactly sure of the power draw of this particular fan.  But, I don't think the square wave will work with an analog motor.  I'm no engineer, so I'm just speculating.
(Edited)
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

• 1,010 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It seems that running some fans with the Nexus won't work.  After reading some of these reviews I tried a little 8" fan I have near my desk.  Plugged it into the inverter and it runs at about 1/3 speed of normal.  Also I could hear a bit of a hum - 60hz hum.  Not good.

I wish now I hadn't thrown out the box it came in cause I think I'd return it to HD.com.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,188 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can return it to a local HD without the box.
90 day satisfaction guarantee.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Found this.  Interesting.  Not good for the motor as well.

https://www.quora.com/Why-can-a-square-wave-inverter-not-run-some-devices-like-motors

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,726 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Interesting. Kite Army powered a small fan in his review video. I wonder if the multiple speed selection has something to do with it?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

*shrug*
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 328 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
AC motors depend on the smooth sinusoidal shape of the voltage to function properly. A square wave has sharp discontinuities which will cause current and/or voltage spikes in the motor, and those get fed back into the inverter. It is definitely bad for both devices to be used together in this state!

(The derivative of sine results in sine shifted by 90 degrees, so it's still smooth, but the derivative of square results in huge spikes)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,362 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
We have a clip on fan that can run off of 120V or USB. It's rated at 3.5W. Yesterday I plugged it in to a USB port on the inverter and had the inverter on a fully charged 2.5 ah battery. I turned the fan onto its slow speed setting and it ran for 13 hours. I'll need to try it on high speed too, but this little fan moves a fair amount of air even on low setting.
I'll try it using its 120V adapter with the 120V outlet on the inverter too.
Pic of setup.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,966 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like that fan may have a DC motor. If that’s the case it may not be relevant to the OP’s concern.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

USB is DC.  So you are correct blue.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Agreed, it may not be relevant other than pointing out that this sort of fan worked well with the inverter. Could be an option instead of an AC fan.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I'm glad you posted that. Another mental note should our power go out  :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,966 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed. More data = better
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 32,840 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I don't have a fan to test this, but I did charged my 13" MacBook Pro on the inverter using my 5.0 Ah battery from 30% to 100% without any issues (see recent post below).  I used the "dedicated" charging cable from my laptop to the inverter.  Currently charging my LG phone using the USB cable.

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/what-can-the-nexus-do?topic-reply-list[settings][filte...

Photo of TwinTurboJosh

TwinTurboJosh

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yeah, like the above user that mentioned using a DC fan, I would assume any device with its own inverter will likely be fine with the Nexus inverter. 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I just finished a test with my Surface Book 2 I7. I don't care so much about charging as use under load.

From a 4aH battery I get exactly 1.5 hours of use before the light goes red.   The power draw is 105 watts from the power adapter, which under load is probably about right.  there is inherently a big loss converting to 120V so I'm ok with that.  Now I know what I can and cannot do.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,158 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
This leaves me less impressed in power draw of your Surface Book and Nexus (never thought a laptop drew that much wattage), but, super impressed in the run time you get from an EGO mower with the same battery!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

this isn't your average laptop.  It can game!  It is an I7 with 16gigs RAM 1tb SSD and GTX 1060 graphics along with the 15" screen.  If I remove the screen and use it in clipboard mode and not under load from a game or CADD, the power draw is very light.

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Damn SCDC, that's a nice laptop!!!  Time to put that on my Christmas wish list ... :-)

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

My Christmas list is too expensive to even consider  :(.  I settle for a stocking filled with milk duds.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,342 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I went ahead and got out a 120V AC fan.  
Started it up with a fully charged 2.5 ah battery attached to the inverter. Fan ran for 5 minutes and stopped. Battery light was still green and the power button on the inverter was green. So I went ahead and plugged the fan into a wall outlet and it wouldn't start. Ok, it's the fan not the inverter.
This is what the control panel looks like on the fan. I took it apart and found an overheated resistor (R2) and burned circuit board. 

Looks like the resistor overheated (Note the middle of the resistor body is a bit dark) and heated up the solder connection until the resistor lead popped free from the solder. I pushed the resistor lead back into the hole and plugged the fan in and started it. Started right up. Note there is a fuse there in the picture. Fuse tested good. 
I notice the end of the resistor that came free is the common end. So, the fan is still good and when I have a bit more time I'll resolder the resistor lead in place. Might need to buy a new resistor too.

It's going to be hard to know which things we can run on this inverter. 

So far I know I can recharge my laptop's battery through the laptop's power cord (which is its own AC/DC converter) and run a DC fan. 

Full size AC fan, maybe not.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,224 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is that a fan or a space heater
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

It may have been a space heater for just a moment or 2 with the overheated resistor. LOL 
Oh, you are asking because of the degrees settings on the control panel? The fan has a thermostat that senses changes in temperature of the room it's in and will start and stop the fan accordingly. Those were not set. 
Photo of Rick F

Rick F

• 1,010 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The problem with running a fan (or inductive load) may be that the 120v output is a square wave. I sure hope not though.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

The whole problem is running devices like this through a square wave.  The change from the top to the bottom is very abrupt.  Unlike a sine wave. 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Mike,

The fan I tried had a thermostat as well.  When get to the office Monday, I'm going to make sure I didn't fry it when I tried it with the inverter.  It made a god aweful buzz when trying to get it to work with the inverter.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

SCDC, mine started and ran as normal. I thought, cool. 5 minutes later, done.
I'm happy I can charge my laptop and run that small DC fan. My intent is to mostly use it in our trailer when we have no hookups but need to use my laptop or cool the trailer.
I'm in agreement with those who've said it's likely because of trying to run an inductive load with a square wave. Hoping EGO will look into improving the wave shape.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

To my knowledge, the only extended power outages we've had in this house over the past 25 years have been in the winters from ice storms.  We have our share of those in South Carolina.  I have natural gas (not from my wife's cooking) so for heat we usually just turn on the oven.  I don't see us ever running a fan or anything driven by a motor.  Probably phones/ipads charging is it, and those are USB.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Dell 24" monitor plugged into the inverter's standard outlet.  Also an iphone in one of the usb outlets.
2.5 ego battery.  Battery was not fully charged but probably 90%. 
Going on 45 minutes.   No humming or buzzing.    Working great. 

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

That's awesome Szwoopp!  When I charged my 13" MacBook Pro, my inverter was also quite as well - no buzzing or loud sound at all.  I will test my TV this weekend and see how long it will last on my 5.0 Ah battery ... :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

After 6 hours of working on my computer, I noticed the battery was showing red light.  The monitor had not shut down yet, but I unplugged and went back to the AC power.

So, great results in my opinion.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Well some more testing. The inverter works great with my led light but will not work with my drop light that has a fluorescent bulb.

(Edited)
Photo of GlenW

GlenW

• 746 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Sufferin succotash!!   Do we need to know ahead of time whether a device we might want to plug into the Nexus is going to have its control board fried?   I suspect some of us (including me, myself and my shadow), have no idea which devices produce a square wave.  I'm doing good if I can figure out where the On/Off switch is!!   LOL
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,282 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Glen, I know EGO reps will take these results and discussions back to their Engineering teams to make improvements to the products. It'll be interesting to see what changes they make to this one and future new releases.
Photo of GlenW

GlenW

• 746 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mike.  I had ordered one from HD, but will likely wait for the next version to come out.  Too bad this issue wasn't picked up in testing before it was released for sale.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Wish this was safe to work on everything or have a quick test to see if the device is compatible.

I just tried the inverter on my grill controller (main reason I purchased it). I use this for overnight low/slow cooks. Seems to work fine:

Was pleasantly surprised to find it could power my "go-to" LED worklight. Now I can go cordless:

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 32,830 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for sharing Michael.  Another person also tested his inverter on the LED work lights as well (see link & picture below):

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/ego-fans-power-inverter-is-real-ego-nexus-escape?topic...

(Edited)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Maybe I spoke too soon. My grill controller started shutting down. Found two issues.

1) Does this thing drain the battery even when turned off? I had a battery with 70% charge and it drained just doing experiments? I did have it connected overnight but it was off.

2) Think my grill controller has the same issue my wife's iPad keyboard did - doesn't draw enough power??? This is ridiculous! After couple minutes it kept shutting down. I added a USB plug to charge an iPad and now it stays on. Am I going to need a small USB load on this thing to make it work?

Not happy just yet with this thing. Maybe return it and wait for the NextNexus.

Mike
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

It does not drain the battery when not turned on. 
My nexus has been mounted to my battery for the past week and I just passed 3 hours running my 24" monitor off the same battery.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

As promised, I am testing out my Nexus Inverter by:

1. Charging my 13" MacBook Pro and
  2. Powering my 22" Monitor
When I charged my laptop only, the inverter was quite without any sound.  But once I plugged in the monitor, the inverter's internal fan revved up high and stayed on during the entire time of use.

To push the limit of my battery, I had a movie played on the monitor while working on the laptop.  Both are working well without any "noticeable" delays.  Will see how long this will last and report back later today ... :-)

(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Thanks for that Dave
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Time will tell but how do you know powering a computer or monitor (or any device) with the square wave Nexus isn’t slowly killing the electrons?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Without taking apart the monitor & laptop to measure the input voltage while using the inverter, it is hard to know if the electrons are being wiped out.  To that point, I used a dedicated power adapter for each device (hence the surge protector for both devices instead of the USB ports), to make sure it can power up the two devices.

1. MacBook Pro = 61W adapter
  2. TV Monitor = 75W adapter
Combine, both devices came to 136W which is below the inverter max of 150W.  And since most power adapters are more resilient to square wave, I am more comfortable using it.  That said; I don't plan to use the inverter to charge my laptop every single time.  This was simply a test to see if it would work, should I lose electricity in my house or need power while camping in the great outdoors.

I am well aware that the inverter might not work for some people, due to their concerns of it being a square wave.  For me, I plan to put this inverter to use for when "portable" power is needed.  After owning multiple EGO tools, I have amassed 7 batteries of different sizes, so I am taking advantage of all the extra power and put it to good use.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I plan to use as an emergency source only.  Am I concerned about putting a 3k laptop on it?  Yes.  So I'll keep it to simple devices that would be needed in an emergency, like phones, and our cheapest ipad.  Gotta have some entertainment to cover up my wife bitching and moaning about no power.  :)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

The thing is. We don’t know the long term ramifications. But this is not a long term power device.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Totally in agreement here.  Plus, I am certain this will not be the "only" inverter EGO will make.  So I look forward to Generation 2, 3, 4 and so on.  Look at Apple Smart Watch, for example, we are now on Series 4 and counting.  And of course, iPhone XR, XS and XMax ... :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

I feel it hard to compare this inverter with a phone or smart watch. In those cases new versions are released mostly due to technology advancements. In this case DC-AC inverter technology has been out for quite some time. I have one for the car that will handle 400W and it was around $20.

Simple things like the square wave and shutting down if it thinks the power draw is too low should have been found prior to production release to consumers. Especially with the premium price paid and high expectations from EGO.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Perhaps you are missing my point here Michael.  No way can an inverter be compared to an expensive smartwatch or iphones.  My point is that every company will launch a new product to market that will not be 100% perfect for every consumer.  They will hear the "positives" and "constructive" feedback, and will modify their new model(s) as appropriate.

For me, this is nothing more than an inverter which allows me to take advantage of my 7 batteries (as stated above).  If you don't like the square wave, then wait or continue using your current sine wave inverter.  I cannot tell you for certain what EGO should or should have not done with their 1st inverter, as I don't work for them.  I am a consumer who is willing to take my chances on a product that fits my needs (e.g. use my existing 7 batteries for emergency power).
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

EXACTLY.  ^^^  What David HD said.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

But before a large new product launch most companies will have several consumers test the product and review the “voice of the customer “ comments. Some of the issues reported here would likely have surfaced. Maybe EGO did this?
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 6,372 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I just bought this "Cozy Breeze" fan from Home Depot and it runs OK with the Nexus inverter. Their is a noticeable "hum" or "buzz" caused by the square wave, and while the speed controller works, it appears that the speed controller and Nexus interact in some way such that the frequency of the pulses goes down when the fan is in 1 or 2 (slower) modes. My Kill-O-Watt meter says it does 59.9 Hz when running at high speed (#3).  Funny enough, according to the Kill-O-Watt meter, the fan draws more power when it is in slow speed with the inverter.

From the wall (sine wave) the fan draws 25 watts at #1, 30 watts at #2, and 35 watts at #3. While from the Nexus inverter, the reported draw is 37 watts in #1, and changes it's output frequency to 9Hz. In #2, it draws 35 watts at 16.7 Hz, and at #3 (fastest) speed it draws 34 watts at 59.9 hz. But the fan blows, which is the important thing...and since I got it on clearance I don't mind if the life of the fan motor is slightly reduced by the square wave power output.

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Thanks for sharing, what size battery did you use?  Are you going to keep the fan running to test the duration of operation on one battery?
Photo of summetj

summetj

I was using a 2.5 AH battery for testing purposes. I didn't test experimentally, but I expect that this fan (which draws 35 watts) would run for 3-3.5 hours on the 2.5AH battery based upon math.  (2.5 AH * 56 v = 140 watt hours * 0.80 de-rating factor = 112 usable watt hours / 35 = 3.2 hours of runtime.
Photo of Tom H

Tom H

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
EGO should pull this product and make it worthy of the EGO name.  This is dirty power.  Please make this as good as it should be and I will buy again.  I am returning mine to HD.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I have found it to work well and as described in the user manual.  Other than not using it with variable speed AC equipment, it works as advertised.

Now this may not be what you want, but it does what they say it should, 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,282 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm in agreement with szwoopp. It's going to be perfect for what I want it for which is to charge a laptop battery or even to run a DC fan in our trailer. 
Photo of Tom H

Tom H

It is being marketed as "Introducing the Nexus Escape. Power when you want it, power when you need it. Built tough with a 120-Volt AC power outlet to power anything from a tablet while out and about, your lamps in the house, even your TV in a power outage."

In reality it seems to not be capable of doing all of that and in fact may damage such devices due to being a square wave inverter which is vastly inferior to the sine wave inverter.  For being EGO and $100 it should be much better.   I want to love this so bad but it is just not good enough.  
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Yes, it does all of those things.  I powered a 24" computer monitor for 6 hours.  I think that is equivalent to a TV.  I powered an LED spot light. I used it with an ipad.
3 for 3. 
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Worked on my iPad and LED light but not on iPad keyboard or my grill controller - 2 for 4.
Photo of Tom H

Tom H

It's $100 and works on some stuff and not on some stuff.  You won't know until you try it and maybe read the instruction manual?   Even if it does work it is square wave which could damage many things.   Is anyone claiming that square wave is preferable?  I'd have been happy to pay $5 more for sine wave.  It's just a poorly designed product.  Again, I want to love it but let's be honest with ourselves here. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,812 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Michael, did you try plugging in two USB devices at once to increase the power draw? Example, charging your phone while using your keyboard? The Nexus will shut down unless you maintain a 500mW power draw on USB, or a 5W power draw on the 120V circuit.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

It charged my 13" MacBook Pro from 20% to 100% on three different times.  I even had it run my 22" TV monitor and charged my laptop "simultaneously" without loss of power for 3 hours.  I used 5.0 Ah battery and had a movie running on the TV monitor.
Photo of Tom H

Tom H

That could be a solution but why on earth would you need to waste precious battery energy to power an additional device just so this thing will work?  I know it is a work around but it just shows the lack of finesse with this product.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Tom, agreed. I’m just pointing out that those USB devices may work just fine as long as the minimum power draw is met, in case it’s necessary to use them on the Nexus.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Blue - yes does work with added load. Looking for something like an LED USB light that could be useful at the grill yet not waste too much power.

I also see EGO says for indoor use only. My grilling station is outdoors but I can protect the battery/Nexus form the elements. Is this good enough? (thinking use common sense like on EGO's other outdoor tools)

Just now thinking, EGO should have incorporated an LED light in the Nexus. Many other battery packs have them.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I would think keeping it out of the rain would suffice.

A grilling light - brilliant idea! I have been bbqing in the dark for far too long. I have several lights that run off tool batteries, but I really need something attached to or mounted above my bbq. The Nexus would allow a 120V light without having to run an extension cord over to a wall outlet. Gotta get on this before next spring.
Photo of Tom H

Tom H

You got to question the tailgate and camping angle when they say not to use it outdoors.  The more you think about this product the more you realize how much of a miss it is.
(Edited)
Photo of summetj

summetj

"but why on earth would you need to waste precious battery energy to power an additional device just so this thing will work?  I know it is a work around but it just shows the lack of finesse with this product."

The nexus is designed to deliver up to 150 watts. The100mh a usb keyboard needs to charge (0.1A*5v =  1/2 watt) is a very small amount when compared to the total capability of the device.

The DC2DC converter & Inverter have some losses just sitting there ready to run.  If you are charging a rinky-dink USB device that only draws 100 ma, you are probably losing 200-500 ma just to losses in the inverter. To save power, it makes sense to shut down the power electronics if there isn't a large draw on them.

The better "use case" is to charge a USB powerbank or two at 2 amps until it is fully charged, and then use that powerbank to charge up small devices.

When our power goes out, I plan on using the Nexus to power our wifi router and cable modem, lamps and fans, while also topping up our USB powerbanks which are used for charging cell phones.

Photo of Michael G

Michael G

I really bought this to use on my grill controller and if I found other uses it would be a bonus. I tried a few more experiments tonight and I think it's going back. I used my Kill-A-Watt meter to try to determine power draw but the load is to low to register. I did see the frequency jumping from 20Hz to 50Hz with the 115VAC to 12VDC wall wart plugged in. I didn't like that the Kill-A-Watt meter was very hot to the touch. I took it off. I tried a few things to see if the grill controller would stay on but twice I noticed the controller abruptly shut down and then the Nexus shut down. I'm now afraid this inverter may damage my expensive controller. Maybe I'll be back for Nexus II.
Photo of summetj

summetj

It sounds like the wall-wart is not drawing the minimum 5 watts needed to keep the Nexus activated.  If you plug in a powerstrip and ran something AC such as a light bulb in addition to the wall wart that would probably keep the inverter running (as long as the bulb was rated at more than 5 watts). 

The bad power won't kill your grill controller, but MAY kill the wall wart. (Do you know if it is a "switching" power supply, or an old school "transformer" one?  If it is big and heavy it is probably a transformer based one.)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

summetj - I tried two power supplies. One was about a 2.5" cube and the other 1"x1.5"x2". Both showed frequency jumping between 20-50HZ.
Photo of summetj

summetj

I observed frequency shifts when using the speed controller on a AC fan at anything other than the lowest setting. (The Nexus appears to go down to "DC" when nothing is plugged in, and somehow detects a load and then starts generating the square wave.)

I suspect the funky frequencies we are seeing on the Kill-a-watt are due to some type of interaction between a triac chopper circuit for speed control and the Nexus's internal feedback loop. (Or, in the case of your power supplies, which sound like they may be switching power supplies, the switching circuitry inside.)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

My wife says I’m stubborn but I think I’m persistent. For my grill controller figured I’d give Nexus one more chance. I bought a 5W dimmable USB /LED light with an eight foot cord.

My controller and light have been running for a few hours now. I’ll call it success if it’s still working when I get up tomorrow but so far so good:

Photo of Michael G

Michael G

I do have a 5.0 & 7.5AHr batteries but tried the above test with 2.5AHr. I only got 6 hours run time last night with controller hooked up and light at about 1/2 power). Weird thing is that I tested the battery and it showed 56% charged.

So before work I tried a freshly charged 2.5AHr with controller and light at full 5W power and it ran for 11 hours. Battery showed no capacity left. If I calculate the device draw it was around 8.6W (need help determining controller load - I estimated it based on some info they have online). This means I should have gotten 16 hours. Does this mean the efficiency is around 70%?

Looks like I will need my 5.0AHr battery for overnight cooks.
Photo of summetj

summetj

You'll need to buy a kill-a-watt type meter to determine the true draw, sometimes the nameplates on devices lie (usually they show the max draw, and the average draw can be lower...but sometimes they underestimate things...)

But having a total system efficiency of 70% is certainly possible. I haven't actually done a full runtime test to determine the overall efficiency, I was just guessing at around 80%.

And of course, your 2.5 AH battery may have degraded to less than 100% of rated capacity over time.

If I were to do the test, I'd totally discharge the battery, use the killawatt meter to figure out how much power the charger took to charge it up, and then use the killawatt meter to see how much power it puts out via the inverter until it dies again. This would give you the total efficiency of the charge/discharge system, and more importantly, a "usable watt hour" measure for the battery/inverter.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Problem with my Kill-A-Watt meter is like it’s name it measures in kW not W. I’d have to leave it on for several hours and I’m afraid to do so because it gets very hot when I plug it into the Nexus.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Remember, Ego calculates their battery capacity using 4V per cell (56V pack) instead of 3.6V per cell (50.4V pack), so the starting energy is perhaps less than you thought (126Wh instead of 140Wh). That might have something to do with your lower than anticipated 70% efficiency calculation.

Lots of power tool companies do this. DeWalt started it with their 20V “Max” 18V tool batteries. All the Li-Ion 12V tools are really 10.8V, as they are sold in Europe and elsewhere in the world.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Got about double time out of 5.0AHr battery compared to the 2.5AHr as expected. One thing I did notice was both times the battery registers no power left. When I drain the batteries all the way down on the lawn tools there is still maybe 15-20% left in the tank. Thought I hear draining all the way is bad for the batteries.
Photo of summetj

summetj

What do you mean by "registers no power left"?  Does the light under the button on the battery refuse to turn on at all? (e.g. no red or green indicator when you push the button?) 
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

I built a battery power meter that was posted at this forum. It displays voltage and % charged.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

My theory is, high power tools won’t deplete batteries as far because the voltage drop under load determines the shut down point, but the battery voltage recovers once the load is removed. The draw/recovery is less for lower powered tools so they can draw down much farther for a given minimum voltage.

Curious, how did you determine the min and max voltage for % remaining?
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

% left - I used a power meter that I built following this:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/how-to-add-a-digital-volt-meter-to-the-charger

Mike
Photo of Kite Army

Kite Army

• 4,058 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I'm really pleased with mine.  Although it does have it's limitations - I think for $75 it's a cheap insurance policy for those unexpected power outages. 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Well stated and proper expectations.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Agree, I think this post is a mix of those that are unhappy it is not what they wanted/hoped it would be and those that are happy with what it is.

I understand the disappointments, but think they are being miss categorized when presented as a product failure instead of simply didn't meet my expectations.

As has been said on this board, this is Gen 1.  For those that wanted more, it is likely coming in the future. 
(Edited)
Photo of Tom H

Tom H

It reminds of the iPhone that came with poor reception and Apple just claimed people were holding it wrong.  
Photo of Tom H

Tom H

Tried the inverter a with a 5.0 battery on an LED Snap-On spot light (25W) and it just flashes and makes odd noises.  It is currently powering a lamp with a 6-7 watt LED so I will see how long that lasts.  
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

We overnighted at a BLM campground with no services so I hooked up the inverter/ fully charged 2.5ah battery and powered up the ol' laptop. I'd turn the inverter off once the laptop battery got charged and then turn it back on as the battery ran down to around 50% or so. I got a couple of cycles that way and the battery is still green. This is mainly why I got the inverter so really glad it's going to work this way.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

A little bit more of a mundane use for this inverter, and really not using the AC side. I received a new tire pressure monitor/display for my trailer TPMS system and needed to pair it up with the sensors on my 4 trailer tires. The display runs off of USB voltage so I wanted to make sure the battery in the display had a good charge on it while I was programming the sensors. Our little Nexus filled the bill perfectly for that. And it was nice to be able to do that sitting at the table in our nice warm house instead of out in the 30 something degree (F) weather.