Using the Handheld Blower on Snow

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I'm curious about purchasing the blower mainly for blowing snow in the winter. Does anyone who's used it for blowing snow have feedback on it's effectiveness? 

How much snow can it effectively move (depth of light snow and depth of wet snow)?

I would likely use it with the 4 amp hour battery from my Lawn mower. Does anyone have feedback on the weight/balance of using it with the larger battery?

Thanks in advance for the feedback
Photo of Steven

Steven

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
In my opinion, the blower balances OK with the 4Ah battery. I don't think I'd want to use it for very long periods of time like that unless I was strictly blowing at the ground with my arm fully extended. Lifting it or pointing it up would get old quick with the heavier battery.

I have used the blower to blow light fluffy snow on occasion. For that it works relatively well, but you just have to keep in mind the snow will spread out quite a bit as you blow it since the blower's air stream is pretty fast.

Blowing anything other than light fluffy freshly fallen snow quickly becomes more difficult as the snow becomes more dense, and requires the use of the turbo setting. Anything resembling wet snow is not practical. This is not a fault of the blower, it's just not the right tool for the job. :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I should mention that it makes quick work of cleaning off the car in the morning if there's been a light snowfall over night and it's cold enough.
Photo of J

J

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Don't waste your money on this blower!!! It has a consistent problem with the trigger and will not work!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's a Consumer Reports best buy... highly reliable and excellent performance at a great price. Plus if it did have any issues, Ego's service is about the best in the industry (or in any industry!)

Still not sure how well it would work on snow, but probably about as well or better than any other blower, but still pretty lousy for the most part.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,540 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well I disagree completely. If your having issues, it's much easier to contact customer service to get a replacement than it is to complain about it on a forum. But that's just me.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,892 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
While I don't find the safety/trigger/turbo all at the same time very comfortable, it's a fantastic blower.  It replaced my backpack blower, and my Makita was the "cats meow"!  I loved making the neighbors frown when I wore it.  Now they frown because I get my lawn work done so quickly and quietly.  Talk about man tool envy.  (For the women out there, women tool envy). 

By the way, have you been keeping an eye on the long term temp/precip forecasts?  Looks like an interesting pattern for the Northern folks.  Torch like temps.  But come January the whole eastern/southeast cools dramatically to below normal.

A little off topic, but here you go.

(Edited)
Photo of J

J

Your kidding me as there seems to be a real problem here in Riverside where I went to a store that is selling them and they have over 25 blowers all not working as I took my fully charged battery with solid green light and none of them worked so is this just a little problem!!!

No it is a real problem. And do not make the announcement when you own only 1 when I have worked with over 25!!!

Get your facts stright!!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,802 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
James W., if you bought your blower from an authorized retailer and had problems with it I'm certain Ego's second-to-none Customer Service would have gotten you a replacement in short order.

If you bought it from someone other than an authorized retailer and had issues, well, you're on your own.

Either way, I disagree with you trying to spread fear about an excellent product which is covered by a five year warranty and has proven to be everything and more that one could reasonably hope for in a battery powered blower. The vast majority of owners are thrilled with it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

25 blowers defective out of how many sold? Do you know what the ratio is? Who needs facts? You are staring non-factual information.
Photo of J

J

Your kidding me and must be a Liberal and cover up artist!! Keep it going and the truth about the trigger issue will come to light!!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

James, everything ever made in mass production has a failure rate. It's a fact of life. Sure, a traumatic experience like yours (being in a room with 25 defective blowers) may taint your view of the product, but if you put it into perspective you'll realize it's not a big deal.

I have three defective Ego blowers in my garage, two from EBay and one donated by a forum member. I took all three apart and tested the trigger switches and guess what? NONE of the three have a defective trigger.

I'm willing to bet, based on my experience, that few if any of the 25 blowers you tried have defective triggers. And before you correct me, unless you disassembled each one and tested the trigger switches for continuity, you don't actually know what was wrong with them.

There are lots of parts that can malfunction. Ego had an issue with an early batch of blowers that had defective trigger switches. No big deal. My blower works GREAT and I have absolutely no regrets about buying it.
Photo of J

J

Thank you for your comments and I appreciate you admitting there is a problem with there blower's!

I pray they will fix the issues they have!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You're welcome, James. Now go get an Ego blower from Home Depot and enjoy it worry-free like so many of us do. :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 72,604 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
James, so you tried 25 blowers at one store (I find it suspicious that a store would have that many blowers in stock, much less allow you to open them all and try them with your battery, therefore making it difficult to sell them as new). But let's say that happened. I would suspect the problem was your one battery, not the 25 blowers.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ken, I believe James was in some sort of warehouse that handles returned items for Home Depot and had blowers there that had been returned from multiple stores. I don't think he was in a Home Depot unboxing new product looking for one that worked.
Photo of J

J

Yes you are right when I returned mine they asked me to go check the ones they had there opened to see if one worked!

They all looked brand new and from what I was advised came from just one Home Depot location not multiple location as someone suggested.

So this is why I am very concerned with this product! I have also read different online reviews that support what I have stated regarding the trigger!
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
James, we understand your concern.  As we stated on another thread, while we cannot promise a 100% success rate, we do stand behind our products.  Neither the trigger on the blower nor the blower itself has been recalled.  We encourage you to give us a shot, but we also understand if you choose to purchase another brand based on what you've read and your concerns.  We'd like to get this thread back on track in terms of personal usage of the blower for snow applications.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,058 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hm. Now I think I'm going to stop by Home Depot and ask about it and see if I can't find out what the devil is going on...
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,058 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hm. Now I think I'm going to stop by Home Depot and ask about it and see if I can't find out what the devil is going on...
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have purchase a blower for the winter months, up here in Canada. I have a large driveway and about 1" to 1.5" of snow is good. Anything more then that is like what Blue Angel stated.. dense. I have used it many times for this option. Since having it I have used it to blow grass on my rocks and dirt on the street away.  Very powerful and well built machine. Just give it a try and you'll be well amazed. I have the 2.0 and 4.0 battery and to me seems quite light. Easy to store anywhere
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the feedback, Dan! Let's get this post back on track! :-)
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I love my Ego blower! Of my three Ego products (mower, trimmer & blower) I think it works the best. I tried it last year on snow with very mixed results. If the snow was light, fluffy and less than 2" it worked fine. Anything deeper, wetter and heavier and I had limited success. I used it with both my 2 ah and 4 ah batteries, and while it does work, as Blue Angel mentioned in one of the first posts above, it is really not the right tool for blowing snow. For blowing leaves and grass clippings it is awesome!

I did notice one thing last year when blowing snow with my Ego blower. While using it I would occasionally get a mild electric shock. Not a static electric shock, but a mild shock that would last several seconds. I attributed it to snow "spray" while using the blower and the damp conditions. I never experience the shock under dry normal conditions. Again, I think it is because I was using it for an application it was never intended for.

For snow, I recommend a shovel or snow blower, not my Ego leaf blower. I hope this helps!
(Edited)
Photo of Joseph

Joseph

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also had the electric shock when blowing snow the other day.  Happened twice and I had no idea why.  I see in your post you mention snow "spray" and I believe I had the same issue...Other wise, no issues and just love this product line up...Ego all the way...
Photo of Steve Maurer

Steve Maurer

• 60 Points
I ALSO GET AN ELECTRICAL SHOCK WHILE BLOWING LIGHT SNOW IS  ----- IS THIS NORMAL?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
YES IT IS FROM STATIC ELECTRICITY. THE ICE CRYSTALS RUBBING AGAINST EACH OTHER ARE GENERATING ENERGY, YOU THEN BECOME A GROUNDING ROD. ITS A COMMON THING EVEN FOR SNOW BLOWERS.
Photo of Roadmaster

Roadmaster

• 560 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have a leaf blower (non-Ego), which I've used in the winter to blow excessive snow off the blades of my snow blower, after I've finished using that product. It helps greatly, and is a lot safer than manually scraping the snow off the blades. 
Photo of keenanj

keenanj

• 2,978 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I am looking forward to the actual snow blower. Though last year was OK, the year before was deadly in NJ. If it performs like the other Ego stuff, I am going to be one satisfied human.
Photo of Rick T

Rick T

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Leaf Blower just stops working.

I was using my leaf blower to blow off a light dusting of snow off the sidewalk and driveway. It ran great for about 20 minutes and then stopped cold. I changed batteries and it ran for about 20 seconds and stopped. I changed to another set and it did the same thing. I kept trying to get it to run and it would run for about 20 seconds and then stop. It is less than a year old. Help? and
Photo of Sabertooth

Sabertooth

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It sounds like some snow got into the vents by your motor and shorted something.  This happened to me last winter with powdery snow getting blown back into the blower by the wind..  Ego sent me a new blower (without the battery) and warned me that the hand held blower was not intended for blowing snow.  Now I am very careful to avoid powdery snow flying into the side vents.
Photo of Rod Haanen

Rod Haanen

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I had the same powdery snow problem with my LB5754 blower.  I used it for 30 sec. before it stoppped.  When the trigger was pulled the motor clicked and hummed and after pulling it 5 or 6 times I noticed smoke coming from the motor.  I contacted EGO and they are sending me their newer model LB5800.  They said they would replace it this time but it isn't made for blowing snow.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,352 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
For those who have tried using the blower to move snow and their units shorted out. Was it snowing as you were blowing and some got sucked in? Or was there a cloud of snow blown up where you ended up in it somehow so the snow would get sucked into the blower from behind? I'm curious as to how the snow ended up inside the blower since it's something I'm considering trying, if and when, we ever get some snow. Perhaps a lessons learned and how to avoid them question.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have a 575 CFM blower and have used it at least 5 times now for snow removal - during and after a "light" snowfall without incident.  The conditions I have used it in are: heavy wet snow, light powdery snow and somewhere in between.  My blower works every single time until my battery runs out of juice.  In reviewing the manual under Troubleshooting section, I did not see any description regarding light snow affecting normal operation.  That said; moisture of any kind and electricity do not mix well which can affect the blower.  I have been lucky thus far, but will be more cautious in using my blower after a "snowfall" to ensure better operation time.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,448 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I thought I remembered reading a suggestion here (probably last winter) to put a winter hat/ski hat over the intake vent.  (I do not remember the replies/results) The theory being that it would let in sufficient air but catch the powdery snow particles that might short out the motor,

Has anyone done this ?
 Any of you more electrically intelligent folks care to comment on the possible merits or flaws ?

Because I love using my blower for snow removal, but I don't want to kill it.
(Edited)
Photo of LovedByJesus

LovedByJesus

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That, or several layers of folded cheese cloth with couple huge rubber bands to hold it around intake sound technically 'normal' from a scientific point of view.  You can even use a huge zip tie to tie something semi-transparent (air movement wise) for the duration of winter and remove it comes spring.  Hang your unit downward where your 'accumulator'/filter is so it would drip downward to the ground after each use and prevent any melting snow from dripping inside of the unit.