Using a 4 year old 2 amp and 3 year old 5 amp batteries to cut the grass. About 10k I 5 amp battery life is ok, but the 2 Cuts 120 ft.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
Photo of Chuck Losch

Chuck Losch

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Christopher Kopek

Christopher Kopek

• 408 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The 2 amp hour batteries do not have much life to cut the grass, but should cut more than that!
I am able to cut my froont lawn and part of my back with a 2.5 hour.  I have 7500 SF

Photo of Chuck Losch

Chuck Losch

I got maybe a fourth of the yard with the 2 last season. Switch between batteries was seamless. Now have to wait until the 5 recharges.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 10,472 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Maybe I'm just slow today. What does "About 10K" mean? 10k what?
Photo of Chuck Losch

Chuck Losch

10,000 square feet. I ran out of characters.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 78,920 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Chuck, have your mowing conditions changed since last season? Grass is real long, more wet, blade needs sharpening, etc, that could effect the run time of the 2 ah battery?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 111,752 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like a case of right tool(battery) for the job,  2ah will work with a mower, but I would only use it to finish up the end of a mowing job not as part of my main power supply for a mower.

(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 78,920 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Definitely not ideal. But it sounds like he used to be able to do all the mowing with just one charge on each battery. Now the 2 ah battery runs down after a very short mow (120 ft?) so he has to recharge the 5 ah at some point to finish the job.
Might be time for a new, larger, battery to compliment the other 5 ah battery.
Photo of Chuck Losch

Chuck Losch

I’d start with the 5 amp then switch to the 2. When it was exhausted, I’d get the 5 to finish. Early this season I’d use the 5 twice, 2 twice, then finish a small area with the 5. By August it was the 5, then the 2 for a pass or two Then wait for the 5 to recharge. 5 length seemed normal. But the two was vastly different.