USING .105 TRIMMER LINE IN AN EGO

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Under Consideration
I just fixed the the problem with the .105 line and I did it at Home Depot. ...

1. I had been using the yellow colored Heavy Duty and the Rinotuff brands.105 line which are much cheaper and they tore up and chopped the grass and the ground around it. 

2. Yesterday I bought Echo Black Diamond .105, which costs a few dollars more and boy WHAT A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE.

The front of the package says: Razor Sharp for Fast Cutting, and it is truth in advertising....

First and foremost, it loads easily into the  bump head, and second, it slices through the grass and weeds like a surgical knife. It is one thousand times better.  It costs about 16.99 for the big package. of 217 feet.

Spend the extra money and your problem is resolved......

Photo of John Swartz

John Swartz

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Rick Fortson

Rick Fortson

• 814 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks John
I’ve had my. EGO for almost 3 years now and never had a problem with the line not functioning correctly
And now the light turned on in my head. That is the line I have been using ( I never buy cheap ) it was what I had on hand from a gas weed whacker. I just assumed all the problems posted were due to operators errors.
Thanks again — you will have saved a lot of users a lot of frustration • IF they take your advise.
Photo of John Swartz

John Swartz

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Give it a shot RIck and I think you'll agree. I was expecting it to be a slight improvement, but it turned the Ego into a surgical razor. Even when I'm edging around my drive and walkway by the cement, it does better and faster than my older gas powered push blade edger. So fast, so clean, and so efficient.....hope it works as well for you...
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
John, thanks for the heads up recommendation.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
can that be used with an ST-1501-S trimmer?

William E Hanson

Dave, EGO recommends .095, but apparently works well for many.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 986 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
On the other side, does anyone have a recommendation for “cheap and cheerul” trimmer line? I tried out a trick I saw here last year where you load leaves into your yard waste bin and use the string trimmer with the guard off to shred the leaves. I got the volume down by a factor of 4 to 1 pretty quickly.

But the bump head tends to go off while Im mashing the trimmer up and down and so if I had some dirt cheap line to put in I could shred leaves without it costing me an arm and a leg for trimmer line :)

William E Hanson

Tom, even the best trimmer lines are cheap in comparison to the tool. For your temporary use to mulch leaves, try one of those 3rd party trimmer heads using harder than strings material, example is this: Rino-Tuff Push-N-Load 3-Blade Universal Trimmer Head
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff...