Use battery to recharge phone?

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Under Consideration
I have 4 batteries from ego for 3 products (trimmer, backpack blower & snow blower). They are charged and I estimate I use something once a month all year long and often almost weekly depending on the season. I would love the ability to use one of these batteries as a store for power that I can tap into with my phone either because the power goes out or because I am going camping. Think of it as a poor man's version of http://www.goalzero.com/p/424/goal-zero-yeti-1400-lithium-portable-power-station

But in a lot of ways it would be better for me because I hate depending on a battery solution I almost never use. 

1) Do others think this product makes sense? Let's hope Ego creates it.

2) Assuming ego doesn't ever make it, is this something I could do on my own by buying some parts on the Internet and putting them together? Any suggestions on how to go about that?
Photo of snowguy

snowguy

• 376 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 126,258 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
A USB power source would be an incredible thing to offer, especially if it had fully supported USB-C compatibility. USB-C supports up to 100W power delivery, so you could operate and charge your laptop from an Ego battery, as well as power an external display if you wanted to.

The device could be small enough to clip into the valley of an Ego battery, adding little or no extra size.

Anything to increase the utility of Ego batteries would be a WIN in my book!
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled USB Charging Accessory Idea.

I see in older threads it is "under consideration". I live along the Gulf Coast and have been weeks without power after hurricanes. It makes me sick to my stomach to think I have EGO batteries and no way to use them for emergency USB charging.  I've seen some DIY solutions, and will try that route if I have to. Otherwise, I'm loving the EGO equipment.  Thanks.
Photo of snowguy

snowguy

Being impatient... any suggestions on a DIY solution? 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 52,670 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I posted one in another thread. Search for "wish list" I think. All parts can be bought on eBay for cheap
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 37,026 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It seems like it would be easy enough to do. The manufacturer of my drone makes a $20 dongle so I can use my drone batteries to charge other devices.

But of course the drone batteries are much smaller and more portable than Ego batteries. I'm wondering whether Ego has just decided there's not enough demand to warrant putting such a device into production.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 126,258 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have this for my Milwaukee M12 batteries:

And this for my 18V Makita batteries:

Both of these smaller battery platforms would struggle to be useful with high power USB-C applications, but Ego's batteries wouldn't. Agreed, the market isn't quite there yet, but give it a year or two and USB-C will be everywhere.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 1,690 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You would need a DC to DC "step down" converter that could accept 56 volts in and output 5 volts. That is a relatively non-standard range, but commercial solutions do exist.

This unit would be overkill:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DROK-DC-DC-Numerical-Control-Step-Down-Voltage-Converter-6-65V-to-0-60V-8A-4...

Personally, I'd probably get a DC-DC converter that would go from 56 volts down to 12 (or 14) volts, and then buy a nice 12 volt auto adapter to do the final USB handshake and power negotiation. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 125,924 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed, this would be a great way to do it and would provide a 12V output as well.
Photo of snowguy

snowguy

Appreciate the help! I think I may end up going with the  "overkill" approach and a 12v auto adapter. If anyone ends up doing something similar, I would love to hear about it. Thanks All
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

I already built mine a while ago. Make sure you have a low voltage cutoff thing in the circuit or you will destroy your battery.

My Frankenmower has a 12v outlet on it. Cuz the sensing circuit needed 12v to operate.

Works great.
Photo of Burugee

Burugee

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
For this cost of the converter and bulky battery, you might as well buy a 12000mah power bank which is portable and pracle to use for usb charging. lol
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 51,352 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
But boring
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have 2 EGO 2.5Ah & 1 EGO 2.0Ah 56 volt batteries.  It would take about 9 of those 12000mah (3.7 volt) power banks to equal that.  Why do I want all this power for usb charging?  I have been without power for 4 weeks after one hurricane.  
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

EGO won't make it for us, we will have to make it ourselves mine cost 40 to make. It connects to a battery using a connection piece from a 12v trimmer where the battery connects to the tool.

It's not big at all.

125 watt output , which is actually quite a bit.
I'll take a pic next time I'm home.
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

• 1,904 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Pic!

:)
Photo of Zach

Zach

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have just built a 220 watt adapter you are talking about. It works amazing. I use an inverter to charge my drone batteries on the go. Unlocking ego batteries full potential. I got tired of such an expensive investment just collecting dust and have thought of more uses for it as the days go on.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 25,164 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Awesome.  Love to see people making use of Ego POWER
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 51,614 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
LOVE IT.

Please post item list and where you got the parts from.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 51,614 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I made a 12v converter also. Built it in the handle of a bad leaf blower body.