Upgrade 12" bump head to 15" ?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I need to replace the 12" bump head on my ST1201. I would like to install one of the 15" bump heads since they use the 0.95 line as opposed to the 0.85 line which does not last as long. Will the AH1300 or 1500 fit on my ST1201?
Photo of Mark McGrath

Mark McGrath

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Nope. Sorry to say. The 12" trimmer has a sensor detecting it too much like is out. So even if you did adapt it, it wouldn't run.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If you want to read some techno mumbo jumbo which confirms what Jacob said, this thread compares putting the heavier AH1500 head on the AH1300; which would be the same case as putting the AH1300 on your 12" trimmer.  If you want to demonstrate what will likely happen, take the guard off your 12", and then manually extend the line another couple inches; the mower may start and even run, but the motor will also sense the additional load, and will most times shut down.
Having owned the 12" trimmer, I quickly determined it was under powered, and returned it for the 15" trimmer.  The 12" has some benefits, like lighter weight and IIRC slightly shorter length, which makes it ideal for a person of smaller stature.

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/technical-review-ah1500-rapid-reload-gen-2-vs-ah1300-b...
Photo of Mark McGrath

Mark McGrath

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the info. Makes total sense. I purchased the 12" string trimmer the first season it was being sold at homedepot. It has served me well but I would have purchased the 15" instead had it been available.  Same with the handheld blower which has been upgraded as well.