Uneven cuts, ie mohawking or striping

• Problem
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Solved
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Power Plus 21" self propelled mower uneven cutting

I own 2-21" mowers, both registered. One is self propelled, one not. One unit cuts centipede grass, the other zoysia. I have tried every trick in the book to solve my uneven grass issues, ie mohawking, striping. These would include, height adjustments, new high lift blades, mowing patterns, mulching-side discharge-bagging, cutting slower, correct wheel alignment, very sharp blades. Nothing has worked with either mower.  I am in the plastics business, know alot about Xenoy decks, and feel that this filled PP deck does not have enough inherent strength from the plastics selection or design.  I believe the motor is causing too much of a load bearing issue in the center or the right side causing the deck to raise on the edges.  Also could be warpage, in my business, they don't call it "polywarpylene" for nothing.  Could be EGO bought a bad lot of plastic decks already warped in 2016.  I am very frustrated about the whole thing, they could have spent a few more bucks on a stiffer Xenoy type deck, but they cheaped out, although they command Honda type price.
Photo of Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • disappointed...

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,306 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I had a Honda with the Xenoy deck.  It was durable, rigid, and all-around a GREAT material to use for mower decks.  The plastic EGO chose to use is far inferior.  It isn't as rigid (my 21SP flexes a ton) and the material isn't as slippery, so I have to periodically wax the underside to reduce buildup of grass.  If my Honda wasn't powered by a noxious gas engine, I would never, ever  have chosen to switch to electric.  It cut better, bagged better, mulched better.   But the EGO has very little vibration, is much quieter, and no more carbon monoxide emissions spewing at me.  And the EGO will never burn my hand or arm (mufflers are HOT!).  Neither type of mower is perfect.  I just wish that EGO had made their mower more durable (too many stories of mowers that died from hitting something in the grass), that they mulched better, and were better protected from water (EGO cautions against cleaning the underside with a garden hose).

As far as cutting goes, with the HL blade, my Fescue/Rye/Bluegrass is cut decently by the EGO.  I make sure the blade is sharp, of course.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 46,804 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
BTW, Honda had to recall the Xenoy decks because they were prone to cracking, especially near the motors where they got hot, and they were a safety concern. So there's that.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I owned a Xenoy deck Honda for OVER 10 years.  It was perfect when I sold it last year and it got plenty of use.  It was in such good shape I got $200 for it.
Photo of jdantow

jdantow

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
i have the 21 model.....and noticed the uneven cutting in weird lines or strips. I was thinking it was linked to when I engaged the propulsion
Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

• 1,294 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have the same stripping issue with my self propelled 21" EGO.  I'm cutting my St Augustine every 6-7 days and no matter what pattern or overlap i try or speed, I still minor stripping.  Other than that issue, the mower works very well- BUT this is annoying!!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

got photos?
Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

I'll take a couple when I cut the lawn today or tomorrow depending on rain
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

• 768 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
have same problem. I think its the wheel ruts that it can't pull up. The left side does better than the right. Also tried all the tricks. High lift blade puts extra load on engine and mowes no better. I find mowing in a clock wise direction is best I can do. This puts the left side over the last wheel rut. Gas mower doesn't do this. thinking it is blade design or RPM. Wondering if a Correct blade would over load engine to much...I tried putting a gas mower blade on and it cut much better but put too much load on motor.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I would imagine that any tough grass would be problematic for electric mowers, given how they aren't as powerful as gas-driven mowers.
Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

In my case its not related to wheel ruts, although slightly wider wheels would be a benefit in softer, sandy soil like we have.  Granted the electrics have less torque and probably lower RPM compared to a similar gas mower, but my striping doesn't appear to be related to the grass density as it happens more often in the less dense part of the lawn and is usually only a blade or 2 wide and still occurs after increasing my overlap on next pass.  Not like it is getting loaded down. weird.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,150 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I found the High Lift blade lifts up the spots where the wheel pushes the grass down, way better.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,060 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This is going to sound a little backwards, but have you tried to cut while pulling the mower backwards?  I've tried this with both a Ego 20" Gen 1, and a Ryobi 20" 40v.  The works well when the grass is long or tough.  When pulled backwards, the mower doesn't cut as efficiently; it doesn't bite into the grass as much; so in a heavy load scenario (tough or long grass), the reduced efficiency actually reduces the load on the mower; so instead of cutting poorly or stalling, it keeps cutting.  The trade off is that if you tried to cut your entire lawn that way, it would probably take twice as long.

Anybody else do this?
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

when /i pull my ego backwards, it doesn't pick up the grass
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,060 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
yes, but does it: a) stall, or b) improve the cut quality?
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 59,496 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Anyone seeing uneven cuts should first try the following:

-Make sure that blade is installed correctly (video for reference: https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/my_mower_is_cutting_unevenly)
-Sharpen blade
-Raise cut height
-Remove any excess debris from underside of deck
-Mow at a slower pace

If none of these tips help, please do not wait to call us! We want your mowing experience to be as smooth as possible. 1-855-346-5656
Photo of Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Amber, thanks for the reply.  As you can read through the email chain, many of us are having the uneven cutting issues.  For me, same on two different mowers on two different types of grass, one self propelled, one not, also with high lift blades.  We have all spent our time, effort and money to go through the steps you have listed and more, with no success.  Talked to your 855 line, they recommended taking it in to Home Depot, seriously?  They will say there is nothing wrong with the mower that they can see, and it will be a major waste of time.  EGO needs a better strategy than that.
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

Jeff, good response and amen
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 59,496 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Please keep in mind that the concerns regarding irregular cuts posted within the EGO community are by no means typical and represent only a small portion of EGO users. Furthermore, the mower is designed to provide a smooth even cut. If that is not what you are experiencing, something is indeed amiss. This is why we advise taking it to The Home Depot. Essentially, if you're not seeing a level cut and the standard troubleshooting tips do not help, something is wrong and the mower most likely needs service. 
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

This is a very simplistic Response. I have talked to three home depots.They tell me if the problem isn't simple they send the Egos out of house and only home depots with rental equipment even attempt repairs. The folks having this problem are not devode of skills and this problem does not have a simple solution that an unschooled repair person can deal with. Ego needs to explore this issue and publish a definitive solution for repair or customers to implement. Furthermore, Sharper blades or raising the hight is not acceptable as the product should work well in less than ideal situations. So lets hear about specific solutions that a repair man can implement.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 50,964 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
A sharp blade is kind of a base starting point.
Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

ego advertises their sharp blades and my problem occured from day 1 when i brought the machine home. Are we implying the blade must be sharpened weekly. how do you explain mohawking via a "dull" blade. I think the standard should be what a gas powered lawn mower does/ requires. this product should be as good and as tolerent.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I am implying that
1)  the blade is not all that sharp on a new mower
2) If you are not willing to start with the simple possible solutions, then it is difficult to diagnose the problem

Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

they advertise how sharp thier blades are. I have tried every recommendation in this forum. I don't understand why people like you just want to make excuses for ego and throw out simplistic solutions. if you don't think this mower should work well out of the box then you must be an ego employee paid to make excuses. i am done with this thread. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Hi Fred
I have never seen an ad about a sharp blade, so you have me on that one.  I don't think I made any excuses, I was just trying to help you solve your problem.  I did not see in any of your posts that you had tried various remedies already. 

If you are not looking for help - that's fine - have a good day.

Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 5,660 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
My mower blade was very dull when new. As recommended, I use a flap type sanding disk to sharpen it. It takes about the same amount of time to remove-sharpen-reinstall the blade as it took to add gas and check the oil on my previous machine.
Photo of Steven

Steven

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is my first post within the EGO forum. This issue is one of the main issues I joined. So, I'm glad I'm not the only person having this issue.

I really like my EGO products and not having to deal with gas. However, the mohawking that is happening on my yard does drive me a little crazy. I live in Central Florida and deal with thick St. Augustine grass. The last thing I want to do is cut the grass twice in 95 degree heat to resolve this issue. 
  • The blade is sharp (just had it done).
  • The blade is on correct (double check it to be sure).
  • I've cut the grass on the highest setting and then lowered it a level and cut it again (issue persists)
  • I bought the SP and use it on the lowest setting (issue persists)
  • I haven't cleaned out the underside of the mower, but I'll do that before my next mow to see if that cleans up the issue (I'm not hopeful). 

While I do appreciate EGO giving feed back in this forum, I don't think it's helping to resolve the issue.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I've been on this forum for quite a while and I can tell you that people who complain (such as myself) about certain issues with EGO products will be attacked by the guys that hang out here as if they have no real life.  They can be extraordinarily rude and EGO does nothing to stop them from habitually ganging up on those that fall into disfavor with the "core group".   If EGO did a good job of monitoring the rude posts, this forum would be a more welcoming and useful place for the average EGO customer to come for assistance. 

What's more appalling then the lack of moderation here is the dismal repair capabilities of those assigned to fix EGO products.  Repairs can take months.  There are few user-replaceable parts.  I always suggest buying another new unit at the same time one sends out an item for repair.  Simply return the item for a full refund prior to the last possible day for refunds (90 days unless using a HD card--then it's 1 year).
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,274 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I commend members like Steven who post their issues with a level head.  Reading his post he truly seems like an owner who is simply looking for a solution to a problem.  He's not taking anything personally and he's not complaining about unrelated issues.

Dave, when you started posting about cut quality issues with your mower you were calling it a generally inferior design based mainly around your personal feelings of how the deck was not as strong or as stiff as the Xenoy deck on the Honda Harmony you sold.  When you come into a community of people who are generally happy with their Ego products and start trash-talking both them and the products, well, people reciprocate.  ;-)

The TRUTH is, over the years I've been here there definitely have been people who just couldn't get a good result from an Ego mower, for whatever reason be it environmental or product design related or something else entirely.  Many of those people made the right decision to move on and purchase another product, one that hopefully suited their needs better.  However, the vast majority of people both here and reviewing the mowers on HD's website are very happy with them.

Given the list of things you don't like about your Ego mower, nobody here can figure out why after 90 days of mowing with it (the HD return window) you decided to keep it?  You seem to be happy with your other Ego products, but that's no reason to keep the mower if it doesn't perform well for you.

You have contributed many helpful posts here (I've "liked" many of your posts), but unfortunately your tone changes when talking about your mower.  While I don't pretend to speak for everyone here, I assume people are a little short with you because they are simply tired of listening to the same complaining over and over again.

I hope you don't find this post rude, it's not intended to be.  If you do find it offensive, feel free to report it to Ego's administrators.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,148 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thank you.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,464 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Steven, can you describe the mohawking a little more precisely?  Does it appear to be uneven side to side, or is it low in the center of the mower's cut path?

If it's side to side, there could be an issue with the wheels on one side being uneven with the other side.

If it's low in the center of the mower's path it could be that the front or rear of the mower is riding high or low.  There have been a few cases of the height adjustment mechanism coming loose and improperly adjusting the height on the front wheels.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 51,160 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Steven - do the high spots seem to line up with the wheel marks ?
are you overlapping your cut over the prior wheel marks ?
Have you altered your cut pattern from week to week ?
Photo of Steven

Steven

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Everyone for the comments. I should preface everything with this is my first home/lawn that I am responsible to maintain. So, if I am missing some kind of vital step, it could be a result of me being ignorant.  

Anyway, I'll make sure to take pictures this weekend when I cut it. That should help with explaining what I'm experiencing. 

I have two problems.
  1. Random blades of grass are just not getting cut. At first, I thought this was just a result of the blade not being sharp enough. But, the issue has persisted even after it was sharpened. I can clearly see a clean cut on the grass too. It happens in light and dense spots of the grass. I've tried overlapping a little and a lot... issue persists. 
  2. The second issue is the "mowhawking" (pun intended). This seems like the best wording to describe it. Occasionally, I get a small stripe of grass that has remains uncut. The grass that is cut, seems like it was cut evenly. The stripe, if I recall correctly, does tend to be on one side versus the other. Although, I don't remember which side.

do the high spots seem to line up with the wheel marks ?
I'll double check this weekend. I want to say no, but I'll confirm.

are you overlapping your cut over the prior wheel marks ?
Yes. I try to always overlap. 

Have you altered your cut pattern from week to week ?
Sometimes I cut north-to-south and other times I go east-to-west. The issues continue. Most recently, I cut the grass at the highest setting going north-to-south and then once I finished I cut it east-to-west and the next lower setting. Again, random blades of grass remain uncut. Although, I don't think I had any mowhawking that I can remember. I'll test this out this weekend.
Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

I'll let Steven respond for his situation.  In my very similar case, I have tried overlapping the passes by probably as much as 5-6 inches without resolving the issue.  It occurs without any identifiable cause and it only leaves a very narrow (2-4 blade) wide strip of grass and at random locations along the mowing path.  The cut grass is cleanly cut and I do not experience any "loading down/choking" when cutting so it is not a case of the mower being overloaded.  My blade is sharp and my under-deck is clean.  Mine is not an overwhelming issue, but it is annoying.  This is the first mower (gas or electric) that I've experienced this without one of the normal solutions.  I had a Worx 56V 19" mower which I sold when I got the eGO and it did not have this issue.  Got me stumped

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.