Uneven cut

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
My mower 21” self propelled cuts deeper when when self propelled is not engaged vs engaged, causing burned out circles were the cut is deeper. Is this a design flaw and does the mower need to be returned. Not happy
Photo of jim costello

jim costello

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated and just upset for what it is doing to my lawn

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,300 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I don't notice a difference between SP or not in cut.  Not sure what you mean by circles? if it was a problem from the SP it should be show up in stripes in the grass where you have engaged the SP or not because you are moving while you are mowing. 

The recommended cutting method is back and forth across the yard, not round and round.  If you are mowing in circles that might be the problem.  Trying switching to across and back, see if that corrects it. 

If you are already mowing in the recommended pattern, then circles sound more like common turf diseases, like fairy rings, that are known to show up better when you shorten the grass around them. 
Photo of jim costello

jim costello

I am mowing across my lawn/ back and forth. It seems to be cutting the grass 1/2 to 1/4 “ deeper when self propelled is not engaged vs engaged
Photo of jim costello

jim costello

You can see in the photo, the first three passes was without self propelled engaged. You can also see I. Front of the tree were I stop self propelled & it cut deeper
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,228 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
ahh, yes. That is dramatic! Still all might not be lost. Folks were discussing on another thread that they found that subtly keeping upward pressure on the handle when SP is engaged helped with some models to keep the front of the mower down.  Apparently the SP on some can cause the front to lift up slightly, plus we have a tendency to rest our hands on the handle, pushing down and lifting up the front even more.  I tried it, and I think maybe I do get better mulching.  It's not like "lifting" as much as keeping positive upward pressure to keep the front end down and level. 

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Oh, and I would try going up a notch too.  That seems like a really tight cut, unless you have that special southern grass.  
(Edited)
Photo of Alan Moore

Alan Moore

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I noticed my front wheels lifting off of the ground while self propelled, especially when going up hill with the rear bag.  Adjusting my hand position lower on the hand grip area of the handle with a slight upward pressure helps a bit.  When I forget and rest my hands on top of the hand grip area I pop wheelies like crazy.
(Edited)
Photo of Jack Tracy

Jack Tracy

• 358 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You're not alone, Jim. Mine did similar things. Also cut shorter going down a slight incline and higher going up. Took it in. Waited 6 weeks. They changed the blade which I had already done. I returned mine. Home Depot took good care of me. 
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

see my comment above, might have not been the mower but the angle you were cutting at. the mower may not have been making good contact in one direction depending on whether you were helping the mower and compensating for the hill or not. Egos are lighter than engines, so they tend to need more attention to how the mower is riding across the lawn.