Two questions: 1) Benefits of the carbon fiber string trimmer over others? 2) Compare rear motor model vs front motor model.

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
Two questions: 1) Benefits of the carbon fiber string trimmer over others? 2) Compare rear motor model vs front motor models.
Photo of SymphonyTomorrow

SymphonyTomorrow

• 72 Points

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,328 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The build quality is most certainly commercial quality and it is heavy duty.  The reason I still use my other model is because the Carbon trimmer does not have a slow speed which I really prefer to use.
Photo of Lehigh Lawn Pros

Lehigh Lawn Pros

• 3,482 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi ST,

Also, the rear-motor models (I have the PH1400) are more powerful and rotate counterclockwise
(which I prefer) but they are also heavier, so it depends on your needs/preference.

SCDC made a very important point about slow speed operation.
I find the PH1400 to perform very well at slow speed. For example, not eating up a lot of line when trimming along chain link fences.

I think that most homeowners would be perfectly happy with the basic 15"
front-motor trimmer, it's certainly lighter and more comfortable to use.
However, If you mow commercially, or otherwise need/prefer more power 
and counterclockwise rotation, go with a rear-motor.

Also, The PH1400 is versatile, in that it can accept several different attachments, I also have the edger attachment and it works great.

PS  The PH1400 is also louder in operation than the basic trimmer. I'd recommend using earplugs and/or earmuffs with it, and safety glasses with both.

Bob
(Edited)
Photo of 40mmrrsmith

40mmrrsmith

• 490 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The only difference between the carbon and the aluminum shaft is $$.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
And added stiffness, a lifetime guarantee and less weight to offset the increased mass of the powerload head.
Photo of 40mmrrsmith

40mmrrsmith

There is no added stiffness when they both have the same aluminum coupling in the middle. I have never seen a broken or bent shaft on a string trimmer so a lifetime warranty is of no value. I have tried them both and I cannot feel a noticeable difference. I read somewhere that iwith the auto load head I the carbon shaft weighs as much or slightly more than the aluminum shaft model.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I guess the aluminum shaft model is the one for you then. :-)
Photo of 40mmrrsmith

40mmrrsmith

If I could get a do over I definitely would get the aluminum shaft.