Trimmer Bump Head Does Not Work!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
I can not get the bump head to work on my EGO Trimmer! I have tried re-winding the string, replacing the string with different string, replacing the whole bump head assembly! nothing works. I have to continually stop, take the bump head apart to get more string. It takes me 1.5 hours to do the same job my old gas trimmer did in 15 minutes. Is there a fix? or do I need to take it back to Home Depot. 
The EGO lawnmower and Blower work like a dream...the trimmer is a nightmare!
Photo of John Hanks

John Hanks

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
John, we saw that you called our customer service department in the meantime.  Please let us know if the replacement string we're sending you solves the issue.  Thanks for keeping us posted!
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
mine doesn't work so well either. i have to do it manually. pull out the spool and unwind a bit of string by hand.

and seriously - i am considering returning it to Home Depot anyway - in order to buy a replacement spool i have to pay a $5.99 shipping fee since Home Depot refuses to CARRY the replacement spool in-store. i even asked the manager of my local HD and he said - they are not going to carry them, i need to go online.
Sorry but i REFUSE to pay 2/3 of the cost of an item to have it shipped.
Photo of David

David

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm with Frank.  Even worse, here in Canada Home Depot doesn't even carry the head on-line
Photo of Duane

Duane

• 168 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm having the same bump head line feed problem that Frank is having.  Is there a fix in the works?

All, thank you for all of your comments and concerns.  We are here to help and are working on a solution right now. We should be posting some more suggestions and further help within the week.  We hear your concerns and thank you again for all of your feedback thus far.
Photo of koko_bandit

koko_bandit

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Add me to the list of owners having trouble with the bump head. It is a huge disappointment for an otherwise very nice piece of equipment. For a $200 item, something as simple and standard as the line feed should not be an issue. When the problem is resolved, will all of us who are experiencing troubles be provided "the fix"?

Thanks for your comment.  Yes, of course, the fix will be available to everyone once we have it.  We stand behind our products and are working diligently to get the best resolution in place for everyone.
Photo of Frank

Frank

i just used the trimmer after a manual rewind of the spool and the feed is working perfectly now.  
My neighbor used his RinoTuff .80 line, about 16 feet of it and i had zero problems with the bump head.  i guess the factory wound spool is just a tad too tight.  but i think a simple rewind will do the trick.

Photo of john kierepka

john kierepka

• 72 Points
Great, now I have to go home and try my trimmer. I bought both trimmer and mower. Returned mower. I bought trimmer to replace my greenworks, wich is a good trimmer, but the auto feed never worked. That why I bought this one with the bump feeder.

Official Response
We have been hearing from some of our customers about difficulties with string advancement. After thorough investigation, we determined that this issue is most likely caused by the way the cutting string was wound. The cutting string on some of our trimmers was simply wound too tightly. Fortunately, there is an easy solution! The bump head will work properly if the string is rewound. Please see your product manual or this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owmHP6fPA4c for instructions on how to rewind the string. If you continue to experience difficulties or have any questions, please call Customer Service at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) 8:30am – 8:00pm EST (Monday – Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday and Sunday) so we can help. 
Photo of koko_bandit

koko_bandit

Jennifer, I received the new line on Friday. I watched the video, wound the new line per the video, and it still does not work. Very disappointing.
(Edited)
Photo of John Rapp

John Rapp

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My string won't advance and it is not how it was wound, It is a new trimmer right out of the box. The string has NEVER advanced?????
Photo of Tracy

Tracy

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I tried this video and rewinding and got no better results. I will be returning to Home Depot. But love the mower.
Photo of Frank

Frank

i think the winding isn't the problem - you guys need to look at that spring. it is too strong.  it takes an incredible amount of pressure for that spring to compress.
I had my neighbor rewind my spool for me (i have severe arthritis in my fingers) - and he has a gas trimmer that has the bump feed (and NO problems with it) and it STILL doesn't feed out when you bump it. 
Photo of koko_bandit

koko_bandit

I agree, the spring is very stiff compared to other string trimmers I have owned.
Photo of Duane

Duane

Jennifer,  You forgot to mention that the cutting string itself is part of the problem and that a new and improved cutting string is being developed.  I received a different cutting string from Ego and installed it and now the bump head is working better, but still requires a large bump force to work properly.
(Edited)
Photo of koko_bandit

koko_bandit

I am supposed to receive the 'new' string today and should be able to test this weekend. My concern is, if we have to buy a "special" string, where do we buy it, and is it going to be sold at a competitive price?
Photo of David

David

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hey all.  I just received the new line today and it works a treat.  The string feed performance issue is completely solved.

So, the next question is when and where can we all buy much, much more of this?  Alternatively, is there already an identical or very, very similar string already on the market?  I haven't checked yet but I'll be hitting the hardware stores soon to find out.
Photo of Tracy

Tracy

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Where do we get it from?
Photo of john kierepka

john kierepka

• 72 Points
Well I tried mine today and, crossed my fingers I wouldn't have a problem. Very disappointed and frustrated. I bought the mower and trimmer at the same time, returned the mower and a week later I've gone and bought it again. I just want the techy mower to work. I'm experiencing the same problems with the string. I have to say I agree the spring is too strong for a starter. I emailed CS and I'll see what they have to say. I really don't want to return it.
I'm going to guess they need a re-work on string design, did they not field test the product before releasing to public?
(Edited)
Photo of koko_bandit

koko_bandit

My sample of the "new and improved string" did not work. I tried to call CS yesterday and got the 'out to lunch' message all evening. I decided to try returning the trimmer even though I was past the 90 day return window. I have to give my local Home Depot a big thumbs up because the manager agreed to give me an in-store credit with no hesistation. It seems they have had several returned for the same reason.

I liked everything else about the trimmer but for that price, a simple function like the bump feed should have not had these kind of problems. 
Photo of LeoB

LeoB

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Exact same problem. The original winding was much too tight, so I removed the entire line and rewound it according to the video. Now the bump feed works sporadically but does not feed out 4" of line. INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING FOR A $200 MACHINE!
Photo of LeoB

LeoB

ADDITIONAL INFO.  Got rid of the original line, which was braided and I think too thick. Bought some Rino-Tuff .80 at Home Depot that's not braided. Rewound and it seemed to work better, But, the video and manual says to use 16' of line, which I think is too much as it requires it to be wound tight to fit. After the first reload was finished, I used only about 10' of line to let it spool more loosely. It's working better now, but is really eating up the line.
Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
OK, I had the same problem with the original line NOT feeding so I contacted Customer Service and they sent a replacement line.  It looked like the exact same braided line,but I wound it on anyway.  Same problem though, it still does NOT feed no matter how loose I wind the line or how hard I bump the head.  I'm almost afraid I'll break the head if I bump it any harder.  I guess I'll try the Rino-Tuff .080 smooth line next like some have suggested to see if that helps.  Count me in on the list of the frustrated customers who decided to take the plunge and go with a new company that has at least got their battery system well engineered (for most of us, apparently not all batteries and chargers are working reliably either from what I've been reading here).
Stan Fayfar
Rockford, IL
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Add me to the list of frustrated buyers due to the non-working bump head and lack of available replacement line packages.
Photo of Thomas

Thomas

• 62 Points
I just tried both my mower and trimmer for the first time yesterday.   My trimmer has the same issue.   It does not feed the string properly when bumping it down and in some cases feeds way too much through.   Burning up battery to by having to continue to try to get it to feed through.

Otherwise, happy with the equipment.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,398 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Ok, listen up folks.  I solved the problem for me and my brother, and much better trimming results.  Go to HD or Lowes and pick up a big spool of Orange .86" non-grooved string.  Rewind with this stuff and you can whack at anything and the string won't break on everything.  Feeds wonderfully.

1.  The Green grooved string sticks BECAUSE of the grooves.  They align and act like handles.  Non-grooved string slides against itself without resistance.

2.  Thicker string won't break all the time.  I can now trim against brick, cement, anything.  With the Green string, it would break if I hit a big weed.  I was "bumping" all of the time.  Now I can trim just like my Ryobi gas trimmer, much happier.

3.  Use the 4.0aH battery, not the 2.  It balances the blower and trimmer much better, and you get more power.  I purchased another 4 battery and now just put the 2's in a storage bin.

Good luck.  On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate my mower a 7, my blower a 8, my weed eater a 8.  Great products, but not perfect by any means.

Photo of Duane

Duane

Is that a typo, or is there a ".86 inch" line out there?  I thought it went from .080 to .095 in sizes.
(Edited)
Photo of koko_bandit

koko_bandit

I am glad you were able to get yours working. I tried some 0.080" round string on mine and it would not feed.
Photo of LeoB

LeoB

Well, I went to the .80 smooth line and it seemed to work better, for a while, Now it just won't feed at all. What a disappointment. This thing has good power, good battery life, but SPOILED by a rinky-dink cheap head on it. Wish I could return it, but too late.

Leo, give our customer service department a call at 1-855-346-5656 and we can help you.  We're here until 8:00PM EST weekdays.  
Photo of Duane

Duane

Jennifer,  What recent improvements have been made to address the line feed (string advancement) problem?  This has been going on for over 3 months and we are waiting for a fix.
Photo of Frank

Frank

instead of providing a solution for JUST LeoB - how about providing one for EVERYONE who has complained about this issue.  or should we all call CS?
Photo of john

john

• 70 Points
I agree, I will take this back to HD instead of stopping and doing a manual unwind every time I want to advance the twine.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,032 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey John, you may try calling Ego before taking your trimmer back to Home Depot. They have great customer service and might be able to do something for you to avoid needing to return your trimmer.

Honestly, changing the line seems to have solved the problem for most others, so there may be something wrong with your head that could be fixed with a replacement. Perhaps not, but it's at least worth making the call to Ego and experiencing their world-class service for yourself!
Photo of john

john

• 70 Points
Thanks, I'll call tomorrow.  All is well except the line feed.  If I can solve that -- all okay.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,398 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I too am struggling with the bump feed. I've been following this thread in hopes that something is posted about a fix. My friend got a self feeding string feeder and it works very well. I'm hoping they switch to an auto feed option. I would pay for it. For now I've had to improvise my bump to more of a hard push, and sometimes I still have to take it apart to unwind it a bit.

One interesting note. I don't wind it tight, but snug. When the line won't feed and I take it apart, I find that the string has been pulled tight by the centrifugal force, thus causing it to bind from the string being pulled so tight against itself I can barely pull it loose. I might try winding very tight and see what results I get.
Photo of L W Peer

L W Peer

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Jennifer, blaming the customer for winding their line too tight is never hey good tac to take on a forum. I have tried several different lines, including the replacement line sent to me promptly by Ego, all with pretty much the same results. Bump head fail. What, if any, progress is Ego making on providing a better engineered solution for this initial attempt at designing a better bump head?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
LW, I don't think anyone is blaming the customer. In her original post, Jennifer clearly states that Ego has shipped trimmers with line that was wound too tight. If someone else is blaming the customer that's their own perspective, not that of Ego.
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 70 Points
Here's the thing.   This has been going on since day 1 and they haven't fixed it.   I bought one a few months ago and IT HAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.   This isn't rocket science, for a company that got so much right, go find some engineers who can design a feed mechanism that works.   Obviously the battery/electrical people they have can't figure it out, nor should they.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It doesn't seem to so much be the mechanism itself that's the problem, it's the string they're using. I agree Ego needs to get it's OEM string from a different manufacturer. The string that comes with the trimmers is brittle and has a tendency to jam. Replacement string from any number of other manufacturers solves the complaints.
Photo of John Hanks

John Hanks

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I bought the new Trimmer thinking it was a better product than the first one that gave me so much trouble..well guess what the new one didn't work any better feeding the string. I took it apart and found it had the same string in it as the first model. I changed the string out for a "round" string with no edges (RINO-TUFF .095" Universal Trimmer Line) and guess what...It works great! just like a Trimmer should. For some reason EGO can not understand this! It's a shame a lot of us are stuck with the First Model Trimmer. EGO should buy them back and supply us string for the next 5 years for all the aggravation we went through with the first model 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Or, you could just replace the string on the trimmer you're "stuck" with, which you would need to do eventually anyway.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The OEM string lasted me about 2 weeks. When I replaced it I used some of the $10 spool of Rino-Tuff that I bought half a decade ago. If the included string is giving you problems, it's worth about $0.50 so just throw it away.

I didn't have any problems advancing the OEM or replacement string on my 15" trimmer, but I understand it doesn't have as many issues as the 12" to begin with. The only time I had a problem was when I wound the string the wrong way on the spool one time.
Photo of Robert

Robert

• 72 Points
I bought my 12" trimmer last year and had problems with the string advance from the beginning.  Contacting customer service offered the various solutions seen here, but none worked.  EGO sent a replacement trimmer, that was much appreciated but had the exact same problem.  Nothing fixed! This year I bought the filled string head from Home Depot, and it immediately jammed.  You can make the trimmer work for a few minutes of trimming, then have to stop, rewind, and start over again.  I'm not sure if the 15" unit works better, but the 12" trimmer is garbage.  Plenty of power, but wasted on a poorly designed string advance system.  Now I have two trimmers for a landfill!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

The 15-inch trimmer's mechanism does work better, but if you've read any of the responses in this thread you'll find you'll see much improvement with the 12-inch stringer if you use a different brand of string. Several recommendations are in the responses above.
Photo of Robert

Robert

• 72 Points
I have read and tried a couple of different brands of string, different sizes, smooth and ribbed.  There is some improvement, but all have jammed.  A product should work as advertised, and when it doesn't, the manufacturer should re-engineer the thing till it works.  The amount of negative comments should say something to EGO.  Perhaps they should look at their competition and figure out what works.  That is the job of the QC department, not the customer.  I own the EGO mower and the blower.  Both work flawlessly with power to spare and are great products.  But not so with the 12" trimmer!
Photo of Eric  From

Eric From

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I was considering the trimmer but after reading so many negative statements I think I will stick with my gas trimmer. I used to have bump feed on it and also did not like so I bought a new head that I could precut 50 pieces and just replace as needed and it was simple and quick. I am considering the blow though to replace my four cycle blower that replaced my 2 cycle blower. I do have the EGO mower  and so far I love it. Also getting a little interested in chain saw. Any thoughts about saw ?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Eric, the 15" trimmer bump feed works like a dream... manually replacing cutting strings will be a distant memory!

If you already have the mower, buy the 15" trimmer kit at HD, it's discounted right now and a great deal. With both 2Ah and 4Ah batteries you'll be mowing and trimming non stop.

I haven't used the Ego chainsaw, but the reviews and rewards can't be ignored... it's a true 5-star product:

https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Agreed, you won't miss anything about your gas trimmer if you go with the 15" model.

If you have a good gas trimmer that still runs well, you can probably even sell it to offset the cost of the Ego trimmer. My 15" Ego trimmer doesn't seem to have any less power than my old 4-cycle 30cc gas trimmer, but it is worlds easier to maintain (no oil changes or mixing fuel) and start up (pop in battery and pull trigger vs. prime, set choke, yank, adjust choke, yank again, set choke to run, give just the right amount of gas to not starve or flood the engine until it fully warms up).
Photo of Eric  From

Eric From

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I may give it a try

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.