Trimmer string not auto dispersing

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
Trimmer strong runs out and doesn’t disperse on own. After feeding it through, I start edging/trimming and 5 minutes later I have no string. I literally have to take the head off and re-feed it and start all over. Anyone else have these issues?
Photo of Ernie

Ernie

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,964 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The string doesn't auto dispense (advance) but you have to tap the bump head on the ground to get the string to advance. 
Photo of Ernie

Ernie

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Really? I guess I didn’t do enough research or reading before this post. Appreciate your help
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,964 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Also, be careful how you are trimming. The string shouldn't break and wear down so fast. Try not to hit hard surfaces like fences, sidewalks, things like that that will break the string and it should last longer than 5 minutes before you need to advance more string.
I think most string trimmers require the head be bumped to advance string. Are there actual trimmers that will advance the line automatically? 
And, keep an ear out as the string wears. The sound of the trimmer will change and you will know when to advance more string. Stop and double check the length from time to time too to make sure it isn't getting too short. If it gets too short, no amount of bumping the head will get the string to advance. Should have a couple 3 inches showing at a minimum when bumping the head. Also, make sure the head is spinning close to full speed when wanting to advance the string. Centrifugal force will help it to advance out of the head when you bump the head.